lowering the versys by an inch? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
lowering the versys by an inch?

I have just aquired my first Versys, love the bike. Coming off 30,000 km on an ER6N though I have to admit I'm still a little bit awkward in stop and start traffic as I can't flat foot. 95% of the time I am cool with one foot down but 5% of the time I get caught off balance (city traffic in Inonesia is like a gladiator arena).

So I am sure this question has been asked a lot but forgive and indulge me: what is the best way to lower the seat by an inch without having to do anything radical? I love the way the bike handles - the ride is smooth, comfortable, and the way it swoops thru the curves has me grinning into my full face helmet!

I don't want the handling to change..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:30 PM

I think the Kawasaki Gel seat lowers your seating position by an inch.

Lovin every minute of it!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
The Kawi Gel seats are expensive and not very comfortable if you can find one. Heres the best bet for your money and my bike handles better after lowering it. http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Standar...-LK-STD-R2.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The Kawi Gel seats are expensive and not very comfortable if you can find one. Heres the best bet for your money and my bike handles better after lowering it. http://www.shop.motowerk.com/Standar...-LK-STD-R2.htm
+1

My inseam is 30" and the Versys fit me like a glove after the install. I waited a month before installing, don't wait!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Ah, that kit looks great. Was getting excited, then I noticed it's only for non ABS bikes. BUt thanks anyway, good to know.

I might take it into the dealers and ask their mechanics if they've done one.. This must be a common problem in Indonesia as people are generally shorter LOL
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
Ah, that kit looks great. Was getting excited, then I noticed it's only for non ABS bikes. BUt thanks anyway, good to know.

I might take it into the dealers and ask their mechanics if they've done one.. This must be a common problem in Indonesia as people are generally shorter LOL

For ABS Bikes http://www.shop.motowerk.com/WR-Lowe...V-LK-WR-R2.htm

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:13 AM

Garage
Instructions...Very Simple... https://www.motowerk.com/uploads/Kaw...tions_Rev2.pdf ....https://www.motowerk.com/uploads/Kaw...Suspension.pdf

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 AM

Garage
Mine is abs and lowered using the motowerk kit
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Cool thank you for that.

Is it stepped (i.e. do you have options as to how far you go down? it says on the site 1.85" , but can you go down say just one inch?)

How did it affect ground clearance (stupid question but just checkling) and the handling? I do like the view from up there !
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalbikey View Post
Cool thank you for that.

Is it stepped (i.e. do you have options as to how far you go down? it says on the site 1.85" , but can you go down say just one inch?)

How did it affect ground clearance (stupid question but just checkling) and the handling? I do like the view from up there !
Not stepped. No clearance issues and some report better handling, I noticed no difference in handling at all. I also lowered the front by raising the forks as well. Not mentioned on instructions, when you install don't forget to check your chain for proper slack. Mine got tighter, some say thier's was OK. A quick check is best.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Lowering

I have installed the lowering kit and lowered the front. PLUS installed a HyperPro 1 inch lowering
spring over the rear shock. Works great.

Cb
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 03:17 PM

Mine Came lowered with the motowerk kit. Handles like a dream. Have the low gel seat too actually

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 AM

Lowering?

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Lowering?

Thats fugly.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 PM

Thanks Jim, I still have some black powder coating & paint to apply. That Calico paint is from the accumulation of Versys & Ninja parts.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the link WELJO2001. I just pulled the trigger for the speedy lowering kit. Its done now... first modification officially ordered. 16 tooth front sprocket next. Then some seat work. Man this forum is great!
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 PM

In case anyone is wondering "why" I'm 5'8 with a 28 inseam. Have been getting blown around by the wind at stoplights. I'll give my opinions on this modification after next weekend. Probably take a week to get it, and I'll need the next weekend after I get it to install it.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Thats fugly.

Better?

I still have some details to finish, but the bike works better offroad than my 990 adventure did. Love the Ninja motor, wound up with 8.5" of rear wheel travel & 12" of front.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
Better?

Yep! Looks fun!!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
I have installed the lowering kit and lowered the front. PLUS installed a HyperPro 1 inch lowering
spring over the rear shock. Works great.

Cb
Where can you purchase a Hyperpro spring? I am looking but not finding. I understand they make a standard length spring also.

Last edited by toofer; 07-14-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode