We need a TURBO - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We need a TURBO

I think this would be a great motor for a turbo, not some giant huffer, just a small low pressure model like 6-10 psi would be adequate.There seems to be enough room in front of the motor, check out turbo triumph bonnevilles to see what i mean. If you could get the versys up to about 85-90 horses that would be perfect. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 10:56 AM

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:35 AM

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 AM

what do I think?

why waste the time, effort, and money....
if you don't think the Versys has the right engine power for you, go buy another bike. Its got sufficient for me, and most people I know who have and ride one.

The overall stock package os pretty good, everythign so far indicates good medium to long term reliability.

Aside from the minor niggles theres not a lot wrong with the bike. I do occasionally try to find 7th gear so maybe additional gears or looking at the spacing between gears may be a smart move by Kawasaki. but an additional 40 odd BHP, your 'aving a larf (I hope)
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:49 AM

Wow put a muffler on that thing. Hearing the turbo spool and the BOV popping is so much sexier than listing to a open piped lawn mower...GAK!

ST1300, Versys, SV650S
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 AM

I think it's a great idea...can't wait to see your pics. should be a fun project.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:09 PM

That sounds like a project that one does, just because they can. We all waiting for a ride report from whoever does it!!!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:19 PM

I've got a whole boat-load of Kawasaki ER-6N turbo pics from a European College team. I can't find any webpage reference to it via Google-ing "ER-6N Turbo" anymore. I may just upload the pics to my website and denote the owner reference (if it's legal to do so.)

It's a rock solid clean install.

Last edited by MackDaddy; 04-03-2009 at 12:21 PM.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:06 PM

Unless you are into drag racing or land speed records - turbos and motorcycles don't mix real well. Think about the boost kicking in (or not kicking in) while you are carving a turn. Linear, predictable, engine response is crucial for riding a motorcycle in the turns.
That's why we don't have turbos on bikes. (But it does sound like a fun learning/tinkering project, and a cool "bike night" farkle to show off.)

Now that I think about it, I remember my father-in-law had a car with a turbo in it. I loved to borrow that car and "gas it" and feel that turbo kick in.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Turbos

If any of you guys have driven a modern variable vane turbo backed up by computer controlled FI you can attest that the dreaded 80's turbo lag is a thing of the past and that is also why i mentioned a small turbo that would spool up instantly. For me part of the fun of motorcycling is having an over powered machine that really moves when i want it to b/c i can't afford a high horsepower car. This might be a job for 08versys,thanks for the links they were cool.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 03:06 PM

Not so. I drive a state of the art 2008 turbo car and there's still a slight lag. It's probably more psychological than anything else but it's still there. I can feel it. In a car I can handle a slight hesitation. On a bike, forget it. When I crack the throttle I want the bike to respond immediately.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:33 AM

That thing still has some strange appeal, kind of like a car wreck!

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 05:28 PM

I can appreciate the quest for more power, but quite honestly this bike has enough for road work, for me anyway. I've had fair share of ZX9R's Blackbirds, ZX12R's to KNOW that you simply don't need it. Forced induction is awesome, but if you really want more power, it'd be easier to find another ride. BTW...if 'ya really want INSTANT power by way of forced induction, go with a supercharger instead.....no lag there....
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
... you simply don't need it. Forced induction is awesome, but if you really want more power, it'd be easier to find another ride....
There are guys who race lawnmowers, and I have to believe that most of them know that faster vehicles are available out of the box.

There are also guys who turbo and supercharge Hayabusas and the like. The point is that making sense is not the goal of projects like this. Rather, it is about considering what is and then dreaming about what it could be, and buying a faster bike just won't scratch THAT itch.

FWIW, I don't have that particular itch, but I sure like watching the other guys.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
How about a 320 HP Allison 250 jet turbine engine with 425 ft-lbs of torque at 2000 RPM?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr_HJVlERX0&NR=1
Gotta love that sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP-8IfeSrv8

Last edited by invader; 04-04-2009 at 07:00 PM.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
There are guys who race lawnmowers, and I have to believe that most of them know that faster vehicles are available out of the box.

There are also guys who turbo and supercharge Hayabusas and the like. The point is that making sense is not the goal of projects like this. Rather, it is about considering what is and then dreaming about what it could be, and buying a faster bike just won't scratch THAT itch.

FWIW, I don't have that particular itch, but I sure like watching the other guys.
Yes, I understand completely where you are coming from, because I've been there...many times. But I guess what would make more "sense", if you have the desire to modify {to that extreme}, would be to start with the proper mount. Take a ZX12R {or any sportbike for that matter} for example. You know going into it that it's a rocket. Once you become accustomed to it's power, it's only natural {!} to want more. I can understand putting an end can on a Versys because of the "noise" that you might find desirable {I did, have an Akrapovic....took it back off...}, and I don't find fault with anyone looking to farkle or play...but...to go to the extreme of a turbo and usually end up with a tempermental ride I feel is ludicrous, not to mention for what it costs to buy and install the turbo you could trade it for something with comparible {or more} power. After all the turbo modification, expense, and just plain frustration, you could buy a Tiger or "something" NEW. The guys that race lawnmowers are cool.......but they have a purpose, they are involved in racing. If the rider that wants to turbo his bike get into "racing" that's an entirely different approach. Hey, look.....I grew up racing motocross, then raced 120+MPH outboard powerboats for 20 some-odd years, and make a living keeping the performance minded bass-boaters going fast. Been there, done that. I guess I'm just getting too old, and that "itch" is for the most part, gone, replaced by {more} common sense......JMHO.....
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

You could get a triumph tiger but you'll also get a liter bikes weight, i'm talking about the balanced feel of a middle weight with a little more umph, is a 400 pound 90-100 hp bike really that outlandish,IMO i don't think so
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:44 AM

It's a toy . YOU PLAY with it . I've had turbo bikes before and they are just plain FUN to PLAY with.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 06:43 AM

Ok, OK.....you guys win....like I said before, been there done that. Have fun!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode