Suicide Throttle - Anyone Else? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Suicide Throttle - Anyone Else?

2008 Versys w/12K miles: Bought her used about a month ago and have really been enjoying the several rides I've been on. 3 rides, each a couple hundred miles.

I decided to try something I've done on a previous bike (Kawasaki Vulcan 900.) I disconnected the throttle return spring. I'm told it's called a "suicide throttle" when you make this alteration. It's a very easy alteration and can just as easily be re-connected (you don't actually REMOVE anything, just disconnect)

It takes some getting used to. I remember, once I got used to it, it made riding the Vulcan a little more enjoyable . . . less constant wrist energy.

What do y'all think . . .

I KNOW some may have a safety concern.

On another thread (somewhere here on the Forum) I saw someone posted a link to some rubber o'rings that you slip on your handle bar end (throttle side) which I'm assuming act as a friction device. I may look in to some of those since disconnecting the throttle return spring doesn't actually "lock" your throttle in place, it simply removes the constant return tension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Heres something thats cheap but works...http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 12:15 PM

Garage
Joe you come up with interesting things. Now I have to go get one of these... I got a cramp buster but this looks better. Oh well, Its only money. If I don't spend it, The wife will.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM

Garage
I have a Go Cruise throttle control on my Versys. Works well on level roads. I only set it long enough to give my right hand a break and stretch, and its perfect for that.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

That item from the "2wheelride.com" . . . incredible! And for only around $20, as soon as I get home, i'll measure my bars (7/8 or 1") and i'll be ordering myself ANOTHER early Christmas present!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 02:24 PM

+1 on the GoCruise that weljo linked. I use mine just like ATYC mentions in his post.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Heres something thats cheap but works...http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html
I have been using one of these "throttle locks" on my 2008 V for 3 years now, and it still works great! I learned about it on this forum.

The added benefit for me is - this is the only throttle lock or cruise control that doesn't interfere with my heated grip wiring.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 02:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee-Houston View Post
That item from the "2wheelride.com" . . . incredible! And for only around $20, as soon as I get home, i'll measure my bars (7/8 or 1") and i'll be ordering myself ANOTHER early Christmas present!
The Versys bars are 7/8

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 PM
MTS

Cool! I've been using the o ring. It does work perfectly, but this option is really cool also!

Not sure about removing the spring?

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Ordered mine today!!! (2wheelride.com) Merry Christmas (and NO shipping & handling fee! What a country! Thanks for the link!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
Joe you come up with interesting things. Now I have to go get one of these... I got a cramp buster but this looks better. Oh well, Its only money. If I don't spend it, The wife will.

I had a lot of time on my hands while i was in puerto rico and the bike was in texas for a year. So i would spend my time ordering goodies for the bike then flying to texas for a week or two put everything on and ride for a while then go back to puerto rico and start all over again.
Merry Christmas To Me....

1286135934856-1 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 AM

-1 on the suicide throttle

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 01:13 AM

I have a Vista Cruise and really like it. More of an install process though.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I would be interested in a somewhat weaker throttle return spring. I have tennis elbow and some hand cramp difficulties too.

Has anybody here tried this and if so, what rate spring works? I would not personally go to a no-spring throttle but sure could use a weaker rate spring.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyMan View Post
-1 on the suicide throttle
ALL bikes "back-in-the-day" had only one throttle cable, so - a "suicide throttle", I suppose. I rode LOTS, including my drag-bike and enduro bikes that way. Having a return cable is safer, but NECESSARY...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 12:21 PM

sure, 1 throttle cable is no problem.

my WR250 Yammie 2-stroke 1997 model still uses just 1 cable
as does the TT500 4 stroke.

BUT...to disconnect THE RETURN SPRING, I gotta ask why????

that is just nuts

I remember having my little 3 hp mini bike having a STUCK THROTTLE
and it was all I could do to slow it down enough so I could step off it.

I just cannot imagine having a stuck throttle on an speeding motorbike
AND THEN trying to get off of it before eating a big one
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

You wouldn't be anymore likely to have the throttle STICK without the return spring than you would WITH the return spring. The spring doesn't keep anything from getting stuck.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 AM

Crampbuster for me but only if it involves constant freeway riding for more than 150miles. anything lesser i'll use the throttle as it is, no cramp no pain no fatigue.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 12:29 PM

+1 on the Go Cruise. I use it in conjunction with my Cramp Buster and have been doing so rather happily for some time.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Installed the 2wheelride.com device last night and this morning went out on a 160 mile ride. The device worked as stated and allowed me to "set" the throttle and release on those (road) areas where it was appropriate to do so. Installed incredibly easily. I'll be using it often! Thanks Versys Gurus for the link!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode