Aftermarket mufflers - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Aftermarket mufflers

I've looked at a couple of threads here and haven't quite gotten the answer I was looking for. I'm surrounded by suburban sprawl which means anywhere I ride I have to deal with suburban traffic. I'm invisible to a lot of drivers and would feel better if they heard me around them. I'm looking for a slip on that's not annoyingly loud but louder than the stock can(I can hear the chain, but not the bike). I'm not worried about weight, HP gains, etc. I'd just like for Stevie Wonder to know I'm there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Get A Stebel Nautilus Horn. The louder pipes on the versys aren't really that loud.

024 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Leo Vince or a Yoshi should get you right there.

sounds nice

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

I've listened to the LV and Yoshi on youtube and the Yoshi seems a little louder. The LV sounds just about right, but thats coming thru my computer speakers.

weljo, isn't that a Yoshi?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgeezer View Post
I've listened to the LV and Yoshi on youtube and the Yoshi seems a little louder. The LV sounds just about right, but thats coming thru my computer speakers.

weljo, isn't that a Yoshi?
Yes which its louder. Even louder with the DB Killer out but i put the DB killer back in because on longer rides the noise gave me a headache. I find the Stebel works best for me at getting some ones attention.

Mine with the DB Killer In.

Mine with the DB Killer Out.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I've looked at a couple of threads here and haven't quite gotten the answer I was looking for. I'm surrounded by suburban sprawl which means anywhere I ride I have to deal with suburban traffic. I'm invisible to a lot of drivers and would feel better if they heard me around them. I'm looking for a slip on that's not annoyingly loud but louder than the stock can(I can hear the chain, but not the bike). I'm not worried about weight, HP gains, etc. I'd just like for Stevie Wonder to know I'm there.
IMO loud gear (hi vis) makes a much bigger difference. There are studies that have shown you are 35% less likely to be involved in an accident with another vehicle with it. Loud pipes can't be heard in a car until the bike passes them and the have never been proven to have an effect safety wise. Most car/bike accidents are head on. Ask the average person what they think of Harley riders with loud pipes and they will tell you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150px-Hi_vis_1.jpg (8.6 KB, 1422 views)
File Type: jpg 150px-Hi_vis_2.jpg (8.5 KB, 1419 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 05-13-2013 at 11:49 AM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I agree with TwoWheels. Hi-viz gear (and a loud horn) are, IMHO, much more effective than loud pipes. Loud pipes largely irritate vehicle drivers and contribute to their less-than-considerate attitude about motorcyclists in general. I also believe that loud pipes are less noticeable than a loud horn. A continuous loud sound tends to be unconsciously blocked out as a background noise whereas a sudden loud sound - a horn - usually causes a danger alert reaction in most people.

And I've always had diffficulty understanding why black is so popular for both motorcycles and rider gear. Stealth is great for fighter aircraft in a hostile environment but I don't think it's such a good idea for motorcyclists in a hostile environment, such as, oh let's see, a busy public road.

The problem, in my experience, is complicated by the perception that in America motorcycles are still considered toys rather than an accepted means of transportation as they tend to be in Europe. But that's just my experience based on eight years of riding in England and Germany and neighboring countries. For that I say, thanks USAF.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Garage
Loud pipes piss me off and I ride bikes. I'll use this long before I buy a loud pipe

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Get A Stebel Nautilus Horn. The louder pipes on the versys aren't really that loud....
Yes on the Stebel Nautilus (or the Harbor Freight "WOLO Bad Boy" equivalent).

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
IMO loud gear (hi vis) makes a much bigger difference. There are studies that have shown you are 35% less likely to be involved in an accident with another vehicle with it. Loud pipes can't be heard in a car until the bike passes them and the have never been proven to have an effect safety wise. Most car/bike accidents are head on. Ask the average person what they think of Harley riders with loud pipes and they will tell you....
Ever notice how MANY vehicles do NOT pull over when an ambulance, fire-truck, etc, lights flashing and siren SCREAMING is coming up behind? They're NOT hearing the sirens over their stereo, iPhone, etc.

...THEN the 'cruiser' guys claim that loud pipes save lives.... Gimme a BREAK!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 03:27 PM

Garage
Heres a video i have splitting traffic. You can hear the cruisers pipe and my horn.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM

I know its been here before but I stll like my cherry bomb.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

I'm digging that front fender, Cuff! Where can I get one?

Nice bike, weljo. It's almost identical to mine, right down to the horn.

I took my first ride to Dallas and I35E today. For those who don't know of it, we call it the freeway of death. Twice today someone faded over into my lane without looking. One was a guy busy talking on his phone with his elbow propped up on the door. A quick blast from my Nautilis horn got their attention, but I'm going to buy an aftermarket muffler anyway. I like my odd's better being a little pro-active.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'm digging that front fender, Cuff! Where can I get one?

Nice bike, weljo. It's almost identical to mine, right down to the horn.

I took my first ride to Dallas and I35E today. For those who don't know of it, we call it the freeway of death. Twice today someone faded over into my lane without looking. One was a guy busy talking on his phone with his elbow propped up on the door. A quick blast from my Nautilis horn got their attention, but I'm going to buy an aftermarket muffler anyway. I like my odd's better being a little pro-active.
Where are you located? I'm from Ft.Worth. Always hated going to dallas. Here a saying you might hear from someone in Ft.Worth. "Ft.Worth Flush Your Toilets.Dallas Needs A Drink Of Water"

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Watauga. Born and raised on the East side. Meadowbrook. Today was my first "leave the truck at home day".

"Now if I wasn't Lesley Horwinkle I wouldn't be here, now would I?"
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Watauga. Born and raised on the East side. Meadowbrook. Today was my first "leave the truck at home day".

North Side Ft.Worth. Went to Elder Middle School and North Side High School. Used to race motocross at Mosier Valley,Oak Hill,Lake Whitney,The Flying P and a few other tracks around the area.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 AM

[QUOTE=mxgeezer;305770]I'm digging that front fender, Cuff! Where can I get one?

QUOTE]

It's just the Acerbis Supermoto fender. Should be lots of threads with how to's.

BTW, if you guys ever get around N Davis Dr. and Lamar Blvd. in Arlington, give my Aunt and Uncle a honk for me would ya.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to zielony Send a message via Skype™ to zielony
best muffler for V is arrow- great sound

post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Will do, Cuff. I go by there quite often.

weljo, I rode all those tracks too. The last track I raced was Oakhill almost 2 years ago in a vintage race. I need to get off my ass and ride the over 50 class. I used to sneak in to MV when I was a kid back in the early 70's. I've got a Mosier Valley street sign in my garage. Swiped it when the track was in its death throws.

"Now if I wasn't Lesley Horwinkle I wouldn't be here, now would I?"
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
On advantage of a loud pipe is that if you have a loud cowling buzz it will no longer be annoying or even audible.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM

Get a Vance and Hines CS one and be done with it!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode