Farkle prices - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Farkle prices

Just an observation thread. I got my V about 2 weeks ago and have been doing lots of reading and have gotten givi hard bags, the lowering kit, gps mount, a flip windscreen. I'm looking at the bar riser, a hugger (topic for another thread, can't find someone who sells the blue one), and fenda extender. I have been modding my cars for years and am a computer technician so I tend to mod lots of things and fully appreciate the fact that "stock" setups on any number of things just suck.

My observation for the motorcycle world is that everything is very high priced for what its manufacturing costs are. It may be a smaller market than cars but it by no means is a small market. I also understand that any modding is an option/luxery and not necessity. A few examples are $100 gloves, $500 helmets, $150 for chunks of metal, $100+ chunks of plastic. I'm sure a few specific examples come to any well read mind in this hobby. I'm especially thinking of the huggers right now. $110-$150 for some abs or heaven forbid vinyl plastic is just way to high. I mean people pay it so it stays high , free market and all but mods in other hobbies tend to be more competitively priced from my experience.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Very True. But i got a hugger for looks and to keep the rectifer dry as well keep the crap flinging off the back tire of the bike. I have lots of farkles and in my mind have come up with many reasons to justify the price. Even if i have to lie to myself.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 11:47 AM

I concur with Weljo, I can justify all my farkles, but the prices as a comparison to modding a car are expensive, but, I thing the biggest part of that, at least for some items, is the cost to design/fabricate vs. the amount of sales generated, also in some cases, the smaller and lighter build of the item takes more work.

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Well I would think there is actually a bit more leeway with bike parts versus 3000 lb heavier and hundreds of horsepower more to take into engineering concern when making car parts. I doubt most of these parts go thru the rigorous testing many car parts go thru. Or should go thru at least. Certainly have come across a few mods on my car that other forum users had severe failures with due to poor engineering or lack of testing. Thankfully I don't see any real examples of this here yet. Maybe because bikes are so much more dangerous when there is a failure the manufacturers take this into consideration and have more concern. But certainly the manufacturing runs are smaller for bike parts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
It's because the manufacturing quantities are low and lack of competition. This means things are made by hand rather than by a fully automated process. Also the design cost per item is higher due to lower sales volume. If multiple companies sold fairing parts for instance and selling 1 million units a year, I'm sure the price would go down. Arai claims for instance to still make their helmets, including the shell, by hand.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-11-2013 at 01:25 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Yes I agree that prices are high for what you get and shipping where I live is often ridiculous. But if the plastic/metal keeps the bike running and you comfortable, do you really care? I opt for comfort and keeping rocks out of my rad etc from the gravel roads that I travel on to get to work.
Btw, Ermax will make huggers in the blue you are looking for. I got mine last month in the moondust grey. Drop an email to Philippe at Frog Specialties and he will take care of you.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, already sent an email to him this morning and we have a mutli part conversation going. So much for days off, haha. Backordered unfortunately but better late than never.

As far as price goes I always care! Three young kids could soak up every dollar I have if I let them. Frugality is a balance of want, need, and long term benefit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Yes being frugal and balancing want vs need is very important when you have kids. I'm not arguing with you at all about that one....I have two in university. Thats why I work!! I'm just saying I can justify every expensive penny I have spent on my bike because its important to me. Even my family buys that one!!! Haha!! Say Hi to Philippe for me. I miss "talking" to him!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 12:50 AM

Why I love machining, can make half of this crap yourself, and it pays good so you can afford things like luggage

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Bikes:
65cc Benelli Dynamo
Yamaha ttr-125
Kawasaki KX-125
Yamaha Yz426-f (current)
2010 Kawasaki Versys! (very current and loving it!)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Actually motor cycle farkles that are generic in fitment like grip puppies, fenda extenda, and whatnot aren't all that expensive. It's the items that have to be designed and built for your individual model bike that are pricey. Let's face it, there aren't that many Versys sold in the US so demand for farkles is quite low. In comparison if you're buying aftermarket parts for a 2005 Honda Civic there is tons of demand.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode