MRA - variotouring vs x-creen - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
MRA - variotouring vs x-creen

OK, so I'm doing a little research on screens.

I've read some good things on this board about the combination of the mra-touring screen along with the x-creen attachment.

I am located about 20 minutes from a vicious cycle which is the canadian importer of twisted throttle stuff (I believe).

They have the mra touring screen for 136 + another 136 for the x-creen attachment.

Then I came across the "MRA-VarioTouring Screen". Looking at the pictures it looks very similar to the touring screen with the x-creen attachment and if anything seems to be a little taller.

The mra touring screen has a height of 12.4 inches and the mra vario touring screen has a height of 13.2 inches (not counting the spoiler at the top).

The thing is I can get the variotouring screen for 179 which is a good 100 cheaper than the screen / x-creen attachment.

Does anybody have any experience with both?

Is the x-creen attachment combo worth the additional $100?

Darryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:24 PM

I ordered the MRA X Screen Touring XCTM Smoke Gray for Versys 2010+ at aviciouscycle.ca last week. They didnt have it stock so they ordered directly from Germany and it should be here somewhere next week. If you can wait, I'll post a full review.

212.99$CDN for windscreen + Xcreen.

I must say I tried my friends Ninja 650R...and I can affirm it's not the same designer that designed the Versys windscreen. The Ninja has one of the smoothest windscreens I've ever tried, no buffeting even at 140km/h the wind is free of any turbulence. I hoped back on my Versys with stock windscreen set to lowest setting, and felt like I was fighting Mohamed Ali.

Last edited by Kawa007; 04-30-2013 at 10:30 PM.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
I hoped back on my Versys with stock windscreen set to lowest setting, and felt like I was fighting Mohamed Ali.
Have you tried the highest setting?

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

That would be great.

I'm in no hurry so a review would be fabulous.

Darryl

Quote:
I ordered the MRA X Screen Touring XCTM Smoke Gray for Versys 2010+ at aviciouscycle.ca last week. They didnt have it stock so they ordered directly from Germany and it should be here somewhere next week. If you can wait, I'll post a full review.

212.99$CDN for windscreen + Xcreen.

I must say I tried my friends Ninja 650R...and I can affirm it's not the same designer that designed the Versys windscreen. The Ninja has one of the smoothest windscreens I've ever tried, no buffeting even at 140km/h the wind is free of any turbulence. I hoped back on my Versys with stock windscreen set to lowest setting, and felt like I was fighting Mohamed Ali.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldale View Post
That would be great.

I'm in no hurry so a review would be fabulous.

Darryl

Have something like that on my 09, but sold by kawasaki (oem)

Did change the wind dynamic a lot on my bike
Less buffeting and smoother wind on the top of my helmet

I'm 6'2"

Also, it was way cheaper that $200, but can't remember exactly how much, have $135 in mind but can't swear on it

LOP
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:11 PM

I was just about to order a tall Givi screen, but I'm going to hold off for your review, I'm 6'1" as well and while the stock is fine for side roads and town, any long highway trip I'm doing the bobble head thing.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:38 PM

If you order the MRA with the Vario Touring Screen Option from Tony at Blue Streak Racing he has them for ~$180 (or less, can't quite remember) and he provides free shipping. He is just off the 401 in Embro.

Tony is my go-to guy for virtually everything as he matches US prices, and is a Twisted Throttle dealer as well.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Honestly, where I'm at I don't care how it costs, I just want smooth air on my helmet, if I can't address the issue, I'll be selling the bike as I bought it as my touring bike, and for now it's less fatiguing riding my MT-01 all day long, which has no windscreen at all.
Don't know where you live but bought mine at Deshaies on St-Michel street in mtl, and it cost less than $200
If you are around 6'2", it made a world of difference for me !

Ciao Kawa007

LOP
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM

I'm between MTL and QC. It's already ordered and will be shipped to my door. I'm 6'1" and have the concept Seat so hopefully I'll find the sweet spot with the adjustments. If not, there will be a nicely equipped low milleage 2010 Versys for sale :P
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM

Turns out after waiting almost 2 weeks, aviciouscycle hadnt ordered it from Germany yet (when I contacted them the first time they said they would order it the next morning, it seems that never happened...(though usually they are quite impressive with shipping when they have things in stock, I ordered a jacket last week and got it the next morning!).

So...I contacted Tony at Blue Streak Racing. 179$+tx free shipping. So I'll be saving about 40$ and should have it here late next week. Stay posted for review...can't wait to try this thing, until then, my Versys is standing still in my driveway and my MT-01 is getting all the love.

Last edited by Kawa007; 05-02-2013 at 08:01 PM.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I'll be waiting for the review.

I pick up my 2012 Versys this Saturday and know I'm going to have to probably do something with the shield and seat.

I was thinking of seat concepts myself as well. Did you ship them your stock seat pan or did you do it yourself?

Darryl

Quote:
Turns out after waiting almost 2 weeks, aviciouscycle hadnt ordered it from Germany yet (when I contacted them the first time they said they would order it the next morning, it seems that never happened...(though usually they are quite impressive with shipping when they have things in stock, I ordered a jacket last week and got it the next morning!).

So...I contacted Tony at Blue Streak Racing. 179$+tx free shipping. So I'll be saving about 40$ and should have it here late next week. Stay posted for review...can't wait to try this thing, until then, my Versys is standing still in my driveway and my MT-01 is getting all the love.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:49 AM

I ordered the concept seat (padding and cover) and had it done by a professional. I'm too perfectionist to allow anything that doesnt quite look right
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Can you show me the link to the exact screen you ordered (or attempted to order) from a vicious cycle and then ordered from Blue Streak.

Darryl

Quote:

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:14 PM

They are not on either website, I contacted them directly by email.

I sent Tony ([email protected]) an email for a price quote on this:

MRA X Screen Touring XCTM SMOKE GRAY for 2010+ Kawasaki Versys 650

He then called me to get my CC number and placed the order. I've done business with him a few times, he's always very helpful.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Trying to get a visual for what you ordered.

I think this is it on this page?:

http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Kawa...html#aCOL57765

Quote:
They are not on either website, I contacted them directly by email.

I sent Tony ([email protected]) an email for a price quote on this:

MRA X Screen Touring XCTM SMOKE GRAY for 2010+ Kawasaki Versys 650

He then called me to get my CC number and placed the order. I've done business with him a few times, he's always very helpful.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:08 PM

Yes the one at the bottom of the page, I posted a few posts back the image.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:49 PM

So tempting to order...is blue streak out of CA? And can anyone confirm if it comes assembled?

2013 Versys in white...Yoshimura exhaust, SW Motech rack, Givi V47, pyramid hugger, Baldwin cafe seat, fender eliminator kit...more to come!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Honestly, where I'm at I don't care how it costs, I just want smooth air on my helmet, if I can't address the issue, I'll be selling the bike as I bought it as my touring bike, and for now it's less fatiguing riding my MT-01 all day long, which has no windscreen at all.
You want smooth air take the screen off.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 AM

Garage
My bike came with a Vstream windscreen and a MRA X-screen add-on. I'm 5'9 and love the setup. I dropped the screen to the lowest install holes and put the x-screen so the airflow just comes over the top of helmet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0097[1].jpg (63.8 KB, 314 views)
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Kawa007:

Did you get the screen yet?

Looking forward to a quick review when you get it before I go ahead and order the same.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode