Help with Highway Peg install - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help with Highway Peg install

So I finally found the black highway pegs I've been after since I bought my bike 9 or 10 months ago. Now my problem is they don't fit.

It seems the 1in Rivco bar clamps are too big for what I thought was my 1 inch SW crash bar.. bars.

So looking at the pictures below. How can I get these 1 inch clamps to work? Returning them isn't really an option, and they don't make smaller ones. Yes there are other bar clamps on the market, but they are nearly $100 more.

So I'm basically looking for something to shim into the gap. As you can see from the pictures I've currently got a section of radiator hose in there to hold the pegs up, but if I attempt to put my feet on them, they rotate around the bars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Just went out to the shop and "mic'd" my S-Ws - the bar ABOVE where you mounted the pegs - the horizontal bar - is 1.041" on MINE!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Rode my bike in to work today and had some of our mechanics take a look at the problem. We removed the radiator hose and replaced it with copper tubing wrapped around the bar. The clamps still slipped.

The final solution that worked was to remove one of the above pictured screws, drill a 1/4 inch hole all the way through the clamp and crash bars, insert a black bolt and tighten a nut onto the backside.

Problem solved and still looks new and professional.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatx View Post
Rode my bike in to work today and had some of our mechanics take a look at the problem. We removed the radiator hose and replaced it with copper tubing wrapped around the bar. The clamps still slipped.

The final solution that worked was to remove one of the above pictured screws, drill a 1/4 inch hole all the way through the clamp and crash bars, insert a black bolt and tighten a nut onto the backside.

Problem solved and still looks new and professional.
Possible to take a pic of what you did? Gonna have to do the same for mine. I think I know what you mean but would like to make sure.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 PM

Which pegs are those and where did you get them?

Darryl
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM

Rivco

http://www.motoshop.net/mm5/merchant...ory_Code=RIVCO

It appears my direct link used in previous posts is broken- so just look under highway pegs for Rivco and you'll find them.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryldale View Post
Which pegs are those and where did you get them?

Darryl

http://www.motoshop.net/mm5/merchant...ory_Code=RIVCO

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Possible to take a pic of what you did? Gonna have to do the same for mine. I think I know what you mean but would like to make sure.

I scraped up the crash bars while trying various fixes, but what the hell... they are just crash bars right?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Word of advice for anyone ordering the clamps or footpegs.... Don't use Amazon. It was a nightmare dealing with both of the sellers.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the pics! Think the copper pipe you stil have in there is necessary with the bolt going through?

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Thanks for the pics! Think the copper pipe you stil have in there is necessary with the bolt going through?
There is an 1/8th inch gap between the clamp and the bar. The copper tubing helped fill that gap and hold the clamp tighter to the bar, it just wasn't tight enough to prevent slipping. I'd think you would want something to fill that gap to prevent rattling and some play.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 09:44 PM

have you tried using handlebars reducers? you can get them for 1 inch to 7/8, they are ribbed to grip the bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode