16 Tooth Counter Sprocket - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
16 Tooth Counter Sprocket

Has anyone installed a 16 tooth counter sprocket from the ZX6 - part number 13144-0038? Is it a direct swap with the 15?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 PM

http://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?op...&topic=3626.15

Check this thread out, looks like you have the right part number.

alvis and I did it back in June and its a great improvement for highway travel, with almost zero loss of power at the lower end. Plus it makes your speedo nuts on, but your odometer reads about 6% less.

Your real gas mileage will improve slightly, but because your odometer is now reading low-your perceived looks worse-but it didn't.

alvis and I actually did it twice, first time we got the sprocket without the rubber flanges, decided the extra was $$ was worth it for the rubber bits second time round.

You'll need a big breaker bar, or preferably a impact wrench to get the damn nut off-most were way overtorqued when the bike was assembled.

Machog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 PM

Aye,me too. Had the local Kawasaki shop do it, they ordered the part also. Total cost of part and labour less than $70.00. Bike mo betta now.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I did read the thread on the UK forum but didn't see anything after the install. Glad it works. I'm gonna do it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
After trying 16/46 sprockets (6.66% over 15/46 stock), some of us went to 15/44 (+4.54%) instead for a better overall gear ratio. I'm actually switching to 15/45 with a taller 150/70-17 rear tire, for a resulting ratio close to with a 160/60-17 and 15/44 sprockets...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 AM

I think I'm bucking the trend. When I change the chain in the spring, I am thinking of going to a 47 or 48 rear with a stock front. 95% of my riding is town.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:42 PM

I'm curious to know if there is a way to recalibrate the odo and speedo to compensate for a change in gear ratio.

granted, if the odo is reading about 6% less, cant hurt the resale if ever decide to trade up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode