SW-Motech engine guard FOOTPEGS - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW-Motech engine guard FOOTPEGS

Does anyone out there have footpegs on their SW-Motech crash bars? I'm thinking of installing them as I am planning to ride long distance this summer, trying to find ways to make it easier on my legs.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2013, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Does anyone out there have footpegs on their SW-Motech crash bars? I'm thinking of installing them as I am planning to ride long distance this summer, trying to find ways to make it easier on my legs.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=highway+pegs

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 AM

Pegs

Nothing fancy, about $20 on Ebay. Cb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 389.JPG (142.4 KB, 444 views)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Garage
I made these and described the process someplace here.
They're woking well for me, though those $20 e-bay units
look pretty good.

Ride while you can
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post

I need to find some cheap ones in black. Seems silly for me to spend time and money blacking out my bike then put shiny pegs on it. I haven't had any luck yet. So far the cheapest I can find is about $160

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 10:19 AM

I dont have foot pegs but I do tend to bump into the engine guards with my boot when using the rear brake :P
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
I dont have foot pegs but I do tend to bump into the engine guards with my boot when using the rear brake :P
It happens to me too during the first few rides after installation, but somehow I've "trained" my right foot so that my toes do not bump it anymore. Ok, maybe just much more infrequent now.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 AM

I bought some knock-off ebay rear pegs and mounted them out on my Happy Trails crash bars... they match the oem passenger pegs, and fold up when I don't need them.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
Doesn't seem like that would add much "stretch out" room, does it?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

bikemaster engine guard footpegs installed with adjustments

Here's my pair of cheapy engine guard footpegs... will try it out tomorrow on the highway. I had to be creative as they were quite loose as I believe they were designed for 1"-1 1/4" bars. I used the plastic "paddings" that came with the engine guard intended for the U bolts. At the time of the engine guard install, I did not realize that they were included so I used electric tape instead for the U bolts... error became a blessing because when I first installed these pegs I needed to fill the gap so they will stay in place.
Unfortunately, even with the added "padding" around the bars, though they were tightened to the fullest, there was still play which would be dangerous if it were to occur on the highway.
To stop this, I installed metal O clamps used for plumbing and I positioned them and tightened them so that they butted against the pegs preventing them from movement.
The proof will be be in the pudding when I test ride them tomorrow and I will post an update.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikemaster engine guards.jpg (71.4 KB, 687 views)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Pegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclesarge View Post

Doesn't seem like that would add much "stretch out" room, does it?
I can move them up and down the bar. I have a 29 inch inseam so It works ok for me.

Cb
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Here's my pair of cheapy engine guard footpegs... will try it out tomorrow on the highway. I had to be creative as they were quite loose as I believe they were designed for 1"-1 1/4" bars. I used the plastic "paddings" that came with the engine guard intended for the U bolts. At the time of the engine guard install, I did not realize that they were included so I used electric tape instead for the U bolts... error became a blessing because when I first installed these pegs I needed to fill the gap so they will stay in place.
Unfortunately, even with the added "padding" around the bars, though they were tightened to the fullest, there was still play which would be dangerous if it were to occur on the highway.
To stop this, I installed metal O clamps used for plumbing and I positioned them and tightened them so that they butted against the pegs preventing them from movement.
The proof will be be in the pudding when I test ride them tomorrow and I will post an update.
I rode to work today, put my feet on them while on the interstate, the position itself was fine, relieved some pressure on the back due to being pushed back against the rear seat providing support. However, it was buzzing like crazy... felt like my feet were on a foot massager, not in a good way.

I will try to put some rubber between the bars and the pegs... hopefully, it'll take care at lease some of the vibration.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 PM

Garage
I have the ones from Twisted Throttle on mine. Only use them for a brief stretch every now and then.

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I have the ones from Twisted Throttle on mine. Only use them for a brief stretch every now and then.
Can you post some pix? THanks!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Can you post some pix? THanks!
Don't have any pictures that show them off, but this is what I bought.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/footp...ter-pair-black

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mfw-m...egs-pair-black

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in