41 Mpg - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
41 Mpg

I don't want to work the mileage question over and over but I have searched the forum for what others are averaging, which seems to be about 50. I'm getting around 38 to 42! I'm not racing the thing and it seems to run fine. It's an 08 with 1700 on it. I want to share my commute to seem if anyone else has anything like it with the same results.

I have about a 10 mile round trip with most of it at 40 and a little at 60. The big thing might be the 3 starts I must make to get from my house to work. I have to cross a ferry. So that is a 10 mile round trip with 6 starts! Am I using so much fuel from the constant starting and stopping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 11:58 PM

It's the average of the low varied speeds with the short trip that will bring your mileage down. I think the 50+ guys are doing a lot of easy cruising highway miles. I have a 70 mile round trip commute with 1/3rd traffic and 2/3rds highway and that's enough to bring my average down to 45-46 usually. I've never seen over 48 myself.

I'm also 6'4" and stick up in the wind like a big airbrake
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 AM

Where do you live? You might be running winter gas, which gives less mileage. Sure does for me... I hate it! 41 is a little low for around town, but don't expect 50's/

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:02 AM

I hadn't thought about the winter gas aspect, but I have noticed that my mileage has dropped from around 50 to the mid 40s since about October. I was starting to wonder if there really was a difference running regular instead of premium, but the winter gas makes more sense. Thanks

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 AM

Hmmm....what is this strange "Winter Gas" that you guys speak of? :-)

Is it specific to only places with extreme winter? Would NC qualify? I thought it was me more 'steppin' on it' than anything else....but I've noticed a slight drop too...like 46 - 48 instead of 48 - 50....
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:00 AM

I found these links on winter gas, but it appears that it is a combination of the higher air density, the effect of cold on mechanical friction and the formulation of gas.

http://www2.zhome.com:81/ZCMnL/PICS/...winterGas.html
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/ostp-3.pdf

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:02 AM

The only way to accurately compute MPG is to fill you tank every time you get gas and to keep accurate records of how much it takes to fill it and how many miles you rode since that time. One tank gives you an idea, but several tanks is better.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:14 AM

Lots of things involved in MPG. Rider weight and dimensions. Luggage? Headwind? Road surface? Stop lights? Traffic? Riding style?

38-42 doesn't sound great but it's not bad either. If you were regularly getting 30 from speed limit cruising on good roads and calm weather, I would say start scratching your head.

CC

---------------------------------------------------
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 AM

38-44 is about what I'm getting, but I'm having lots of fun getting it.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

I live in Washington state and I'm 5'8" and 160. I have monitered the mileage since I've had the bike and it is always close to 41. I have yet to try a nice long ride to see it the number comes up.

I wonder if that is going to make any difference as I have a friend riding a BMW and he says his mileage is not much different from riding hard or taking it easy.

With my short commute the bike is never very warm so that must be why the mileage is so low.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 PM

I agree, I think your short commute combined with the cold weather is hurting your mileage. If you were able to do longer rides, your mileage would improve. I've never got better than 48, by the way.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:41 PM

41 seems a little low (maybe) I normally get about 45 with just my daily commute to work. It is only about 8 miles and I usually stop for breakfast on the way. I know on my last summer trip (2,100 mi) I averaged 50-52 almost ever time. I believe the ride and the winter ethanol gas make a big difference.
Tell your boss you need to take a nice long trip to verify that.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! Your 8 mile commute with a breakfest stop sounds like mine with my ferry trip. So the fuel injection eats up the fuel with short runs.

When it warms up I'll try and get out for some long runs
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Moonrise, You are about the same 5' 8" and was wondering if you have any trouble or have your bike lowered at all. Just took Speedys kit to my dealer to put in my new bike. I am tiptoe otherwise. My Ninja 650 R which was the same motor always got in the 50 range or even a slight bit higher so am hopeing this one does about the same. I do ride all highway miles and no town traffic.

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Deano, I have had no trouble at all with the hight of the bike at all. If you are 5'8" I would suggest riding the bike some before installing a lower kit. I can get both balls of my feet down at the same time but mostly I have only one foot down at a time.

At first I was worried about how tall the bike was but not anymore, feels really good to me!
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:03 PM

I did sit on the bike and could only touch with my tiptoes. Just had the dealer install Speedys lower kit and what a difference. Almost flat footed now. My inseam was only 29". Used to ride GS bmw and KLR's but is too much for me now that i am older. Test rode it with the kit and seemed very good. Snow here so ride more later. thanks

Yamaha Secca II
1600 Classic-sold
08 Verseys
1986 Corvette

Life is not a practice run. Enjoy each and every day.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 PM

The ethanol they put in the gas puts a major dent in gas mileage.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 03:50 PM

I'm usually in the 45 range myself. I have huge 40 liter hard bags and handshields that catch the wind. If the wind is just slight and the weather is hot, my mileage goes up, but a head wind, even an angled head wind, my mileage really goes down.

Needless to say, I love tail winds. Some how it seems that 90% of the time the flags show I'm going into a head wind of some sort. Never could figure out why I deserve such bad luck regarding wind.

The 45 the V gives sure is better than 12 my Jeep gave. Then when you figure what 45 vs 50 mpg cost in difference a year for the miles you drove, and then compare that cost to what you pay in all your taxes and interest, it reminds me to just shut up and enjoy the ride; even with a strong head wind.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM

Put about 350 miles on the V this weekend. Cruising two up, with side cases (not loaded), between 60-70mph.

Averaging 49-51 mpg with 89 octane... Good enough for me!

CC

---------------------------------------------------
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM

I got 47 and 46 on the two tanks I measured this weekend. I am curious to see what new plugs do for the mileage since I passed 7,100 today!

Steve

Now I have four!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode