SS Brake Line Links... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SS Brake Line Installed w/Pics

Can't find a whole lot of places that carry the SSLines. Found one and thought I'd just put up a quicky with links...

Front and Rear - 137.95
http://www.starcycle-usa.com/servlet/Detail?no=32243

Front Only - 88.95
http://www.starcycle-usa.com/servlet/Detail?no=23696

Rear only - 49.95
http://www.starcycle-usa.com/servlet/Detail?no=23697

Just placed an order and will let you know how it goes.

CC

---------------------------------------------------

Last edited by CrazyCarl; 02-22-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:12 PM

I have SS front and back on my bike, and it makes the brakes very responsive with great feel, especially the front. The back... meh.

2007 Versys Black, V35 Bags, H&B Bars, Skidmarx Hugger.Fender Ex., Avon Distanzia, Braided Lines, Hella 65W bulbs Arrow Can, DNA Air filter, GIVI tall screen (for winter), PCIII, Baldwin Saddle. **SOLD**

2011 KTM SM-T. Crash bars, E55 Top Box, Fender extender front and rear.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

From the little I've ridden the bike, I think the rear clampers are quite alright. I only ordered the front. I can't stand spongy brakes and don't even know why manufacturers still put rubber lines on bikes.

If bought in large quantity, the price of SS lines goes down dramatically and it's not like they make any extra money off those kinds of accessories in the aftermarket anyway. I'd happily pay an extra 40 or 50 bucks more for a bike for it to come equipped with SS lines.

CC

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:04 PM

I totally agree with Red Herring! The SS lines really help the front, but the backs still don't have any feel.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 07:47 PM

sweet deal. 3 lines, and a free set of brake pads.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Was just curious, anyone have any issues with bleeding out the brakes? I was doing some mental math and the brake line that bends over the fender would seem like a great place for air bubbles to get stuck?

CC

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 07:33 AM

I ended up running both lines from the master cylinder to the calipers and removed the over fender line. It was easier that way since the lines I got were both the same length.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:17 PM

yea, so you have to hook up one end start the bleed and then when the crossover line is airless straight up in the air, then hook it up and keep bleeding and tapping, bending, bleeding, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl View Post
Was just curious, anyone have any issues with bleeding out the brakes? I was doing some mental math and the brake line that bends over the fender would seem like a great place for air bubbles to get stuck?

CC
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:44 PM

about brakes, is it possible to do stoppie with Versys ABS on rubber lines, and how do you think SSlines will help with it? (sorry for off-top)

Versys
Poland
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacokawa View Post
about brakes, is it possible to do stoppie with Versys ABS on rubber lines, and how do you think SSlines will help with it? (sorry for off-top)
It's not about stopping power, it's about technique. It's possible to stoppie a bike with ABS but if you can't do it with the stock setup, SS lines wont make a difference.

Gustavo
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
I ended up running both lines from the master cylinder to the calipers and removed the over fender line. It was easier that way since the lines I got were both the same length.
I found out from Peter over at Starcycle (who's been very responsive so far) that the lines they sell are same setup as stock (routes over the fender). He says that making up a set of lines that both come straight from the master cylinder to the calipers is the same price but he needs the correct dimensions.

Questions is, do you recall if both lines you installed were the exact same length? I'm thinking they should be the same, or not more than 1 or 2 inches longer to the left caliper.

Also, getting the lines with black housing is 10bucks extra so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Will keep you guys posted. If they arrive I'll be sure to photo what they look like and report on quality n' such.

Thanks fellas!
CC

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM

When I received them they were the same length which is what made me try the direct route for both of them. It would have been helpful if the left side had been about and inch longer.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 PM

hey guys, be careful with Starcycle, I purchased some items in 2005 and had some issues with them coming through on promises.

buyer beware
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

BZoid,

Thanks for your heads up. So far they've been okay so we'll see. WIll keep everyone posted!

CC

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Gave Starcycles the following mesurements and got a response saying as of 02/05/09 it would take "7 to 10 days"... I hope that's to my door cuz' I hatez squishy grabby brakes!

------------------
Line 1 - Master Cylinder (MC) to Right Caliper
Length: 41" MC Banjo: 0 deg Caliper Banjo: 5 deg

- Line 2 - Master Cylinder to Left Caliper
Length: 41" MC Banjo: 5 deg Caliper Banjo: 12 deg
------------------

More later....
CC

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Arrived and Installed!!!

Alright folks, after some waiting for the lines to be custom chopped, they arrived and I've got them installed. The guys at Starcycle seem to have come through proper like on this one and made sure I knew what was going throughout the custom fabrication process and drop shipped them priority mail.

The bleeding took some time as quite a bit of air was caught at the top banjo which needed to be cracked and bled a few time. Total install time was about one hour of which most of that is lever pumping.

So far no leaks and the change in lever response is just what the doctor ordered ... no more grabby stopping.

Some people questioned whether or not 41" would work for both sides and I think it's works very nicely with plenty of room for bar risers. I've provided some pictures for you to see for yourself.

- Top Banjo - The off-set banjo had to go on the inside for correct banjo orientation at the caliper so yes that is intentional.

- Mid Section - After weaving the lines through the cable hoops (very easy) the lines simply follow the stock angles. You'll notice the line come to a point over the middle of the fender which is why I decided to choose identical lengths.

- Mid and Bottom Section - I after having removed all three of the stock line loops, I reused two to help keep the new lines tight. So far no noises and it's plain to see there's plenty of room for full fork travel.

- Bottom Section - Nothing special here but just wanted to say I recommend getting the 5 degree off-set on the bottom-right because it leaves a little extra space for the bleed nipples.

And finally just cuz...

Well initial impressions are good. I think some new pads and sand paper to the rotors would just about fix me up just right. I'll probably bleed the lines again after a couple of rides to make sure I clear as much air out of the lines as possible.

If anyone has been on the fence about getting a set of lines... don't be! If you've got the money spring for it... it's has a great impact on the overall riding experience and look sweet to boot!

Paz,
CC

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM

looks good, Carl! Thanks for the info and the report. I'll probably be springing for some new lines soon.
dm

DM
2009 Kawasaki Versys, "Dr Doom"
2009 Suzuki Burgman 650, "StormTrooper"
2003 Suzuki Burgman 400, "Yoda"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode