Tire repair kit under the seat. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire repair kit under the seat.

I have been searching for a convenient way to carry a little compressor and tire kit without taking up room in the saddlebags, top box or tank bag. I have found what looks like the ticket to me. I have slime pump but it was to large to carry under the seat in the case and I am not a big fan of CO2 inflators, run out and you’re stuck…don’t ask I know! Anyway that pump is for the KLR as I have crash bar bags for the tubes, tire irons, pump and the rest of the stuff to fix a tire.

Well I was at Wally World and saw a little Slime Pump called the “Tire Top Off” much smaller with a gauge built in along with a LED light. And it was under $10.00.

I bought one thinking it’d fit under the seat all the way at the rear on my 2012 Versys. BUT nope didn’t work, too thick. So after thinking about it I tried moving the factory tool kit back to the rear and it fit fine. Then the pump dropped right into the space where the tool kit had been, like it was made to fit. I then removed the rubber hold down strap that was to hold the tool kit as it’s too short for the pump and it’s wedged tight enough. The tool kit is also packed in there tight so not having a strap on it shouldn’t be a problem.

I couldn’t find my plug kit to toss in but here’s a shot of the lay out now, just hope I don’t need to use it any time soon.

I don’t like to ride on a plugged tire. I see it as a way to get home ONLY. I was told that a motorcycle tire should be patched from the inside OR better yet replaced, you only have two and if one fails at speed it’s likely to leave a mark…on YOU!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 PM

Interesting. Now you've got me wondering if my little air compressor in my topcase would fit in lieu of the toolkit, as I also have that small back are free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 PM

it has received so many negative reviews on amazon.

try this one instead : http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...or-Motorcycles

it is much smaller and more reliable

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
it has received so many negative reviews on amazon.

try this one instead : http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...or-Motorcycles

it is much smaller and more reliable

Package Deal.......http://www.stopngo.com/tubeless-punc...scooters-atvs/

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Stop & Go
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Well I got this cheap, about a third of the stop and go. I will upgrade later the main thing was to get a set up the was out of the way for the run back and forth to work and local rides right now.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Well I got this cheap, about a third of the stop and go. I will upgrade later the main thing was to get a set up the was out of the way for the run back and forth to work and local rides right now.
it is fine
did you try it? does it overheat quickly? how long does it take to inflate fully a tire? how about reliability?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:22 AM

Compressing air gives off heat so any compressor will get hot pretty quickly. The cheap ones may not be engineered to deal with much heat build up so you may need to give it a rest if you're inflating a large volume. Small compressors like these are high pressure/low volume so they get the job done, but slowly. It's not like you're taking already compressed air out of a storage tank, you're compressing it on the fly. Judge the device on its intended purpose.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 AM

the compressors within this range of price have the same purpose, so judging the purpose is not an issue. they do however react differently to their intended use in terms of heat (some get heated quicker than others according to the reviews online) and reliability (some fall in peaces due to the vibration while others don't),

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

I have another slime pump, on the KLR and yes it gets hot, Takes about 10 mins to fully fill my CAR tire, about 2 on the KLR. I will get the Top Off and try it tomorrow and report back. I don't doubt the Stop & Go is better built and will be getting one sooner or later. I have the plug kit they make ind it's a nice kit, has plenty of what's needed to plug a tire and not a bunch of crap like some of the other ones I have seen . BUT the little slime beats the Mini frame pump I had from my bicycle. THAT little beast took me a about 1/2 hour ( and damn near another heart attack as well) the only time I needed it!

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 04-02-2013 at 03:47 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

OK here what I did. let the air out of the rear tire on my KLR. Plugged up the Top Off and had at it. Took about 6 mins to get to 28psi, no speed records there. Got hot enough you wouldn't want to hold it. Didn't fall apart.

Aired the tire back down and used the larger Slime I have A little faster about 4 1/2 to 28psi. Got almost as hot. and it didn't fall apart either.

Once more BUT I use my shop 2 gal compressor. Filled that puppy in less than a min. Took A LOT longer to fill the tank. Didn't even get warm and stayed in one piece as well...about made me deaf filling the tank though...LOUD little SOB.

The gauge was off by over 5psi but the little Top Off would get me home. I'm still planning to get the better pump but as a stop gate the little Slime should do the trick. I also found my old CO2 Zip-Flaiter and 6 25 gram cartridges so I can toss those in as well.

I used the KLR as I'm getting the Versys ready to ride tomorrow. It's going to almost hit 60! and I'm off work until Monday!

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 PM

Good stuff to know. Thanks.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

OK sorry to say the times are likely way off as my old stop watch was not resetting right. So I'll do it all over again today.

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 AM

this one is even cheaper and seems well built ( made in usa it seems)... the photo does not help assessing its dimensions to see how one can pack it...
http://www.quinbyhardware.com/Produc...RIES/MINTCRAFT

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 PM

Air Compressor

I've had this one for over 5 years...great quality...super small. All my buddies ended up getting the same one. Still waiting to find someone with a flat so I can plug it on the side of the road.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VX23HY/ref=asc_df_B000VX23HY2500653?smid=A1GR51IHB4SMG9&tag=pgmp-47-01-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395109&creativeASIN=B000VX23HY

Choppstyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 11:21 AM

Garage
It's works for the british special forces & it's worked great for me when i had to use it.

CP_Army2_385 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purificator View Post
this one is even cheaper and seems well built ( made in usa it seems)... the photo does not help assessing its dimensions to see how one can pack it...
http://www.quinbyhardware.com/Produc...RIES/MINTCRAFT

linky no worky!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:21 PM

I just recently used my Stop & Go plug kit I keep under my seat. I got the one with the CO2 cartridges. After picking up a 3" screw while navigating a turn, it payed for itself by saving me a tow. This is the one I got:
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I pulled a 4" nail out of my rear Tourance on 17th October, then plugged the hole w/ my "Wally World" set-up (gooey 'rope') as in the OP, tho' I used my 110v air compressor. Rode it (2,700 miles) till I changed out the tire, and in all that time it did NOT lose even 1 PSI!

I carry it under the seat, w/ the 'ropes' in a saddle-bag, along w/ the two tools.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode