rear underside protection - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
rear underside protection

Hi all,

Has anyone installed any protective covers from mud, gravel, etc., that hits/splashes on the rear under-side of the bike? For the front, I bought the radiator guard, and plan to get the fenda extenda.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
PowerBronze Hugger.....

IMG_2414 by weljo2001, on Flickr

007 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Here's MY $2 solution (old piece of conveyor belt). The last 2 pics show how well it protects the voltage regulator from spray and mud, though I will admit that the 'Hugger' looks WAY prettier!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06440.jpg (37.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06441.jpg (75.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06442.jpg (80.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06443.jpg (69.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06444.jpg (54.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06445.jpg (68.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08592.jpg (70.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08594.jpg (92.3 KB, 139 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 PM

Same Basic Rear Guard and Front Grill

For the rear, i bought the hugger like weljo, from frog specialties with matching color. For the front i added an extended grill to the radiator guard, along with the fender extender. Went to home depot and bought a 10.00 dollar (can't remember the grade strength) grill and cut it with shears. Yes ugly for most, but i'm happy with it...shoot one day stopped by cycle gear to pick up something and two guys were looking at it, as i walked out and one of them said "it's just a cheap piece" and i looked at him and said if that "cheap piece" stops just one thing that could damage my pipes, oil filter or engine case... it's paid for itself." The guy looked at me and didn't say anything. Like he pays my bills.... gezzz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lever_versys1.jpg (41.2 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg lever_versys2.jpg (46.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.jpg (35.1 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (41.1 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg photo4.jpg (36.1 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by Versys155; 03-25-2013 at 05:40 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
PowerBronze Hugger.....

IMG_2414 by weljo2001, on Flickr

007 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Did you buy yours at their website or ebay? Or somewhere else? Delivery time is a month. I was looking at the Puig as well.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's MY $2 solution (old piece of conveyor belt). The last 2 pics show how well it protects the voltage regulator from spray and mud, though I will admit that the 'Hugger' looks WAY prettier!
+1 Eddie! I need to do this this year. The thing I don't like is without it the sand and dirt goes all over in the shock area! Thanks for reminder eddie!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Did you buy yours at their website or ebay? Or somewhere else? Delivery time is a month. I was looking at the Puig as well.

i ordered it from here.. http://www.superbikestore.com/ But they do have an ebay store also. I ordered a Puig first but sent it back. Like the PowerBronze better.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
+1 Eddie! I need to do this this year. The thing I don't like is without it the sand and dirt goes all over in the shock area! Thanks for reminder eddie!
GLAD to be of service...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
i ordered it from here.. http://www.superbikestore.com/ But they do have an ebay store also. I ordered a Puig first but sent it back. Like the PowerBronze better.
Thanks a lot for the pix and info... I have a question about the right side of the hugger, how it is fastened to the bike? Is it just the left side that is attached?

thanks again... u've been a wealth of info!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
Thanks a lot for the pix and info... I have a question about the right side of the hugger, how it is fastened to the bike? Is it just the left side that is attached?

thanks again... u've been a wealth of info!

Ah man i put it on back in early 2010 and its hard for an old guy to remember that far back. But its easy as can be. The hugger mounts to a bracket that comes with the hugger on the right side or brake side of the bike. 2 clamp type bracket that go around the swingarm on the left side or clutch side of the bike. I just took a few photos to give you an idea. On the right side i just stuck the camera under the hugger and snapped the photo.

Left Side Rearward Mount...

IMG_2430 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Left Side Foward Mount...

IMG_2431 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Right Side Bracket Mount...

IMG_2432 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ah man i put it on back in early 2010 and its hard for an old guy to remember that far back. But its easy as can be. The hugger mounts to a bracket that comes with the hugger on the right side or brake side of the bike. 2 clamp type bracket that go around the swingarm on the left side or clutch side of the bike. I just took a few photos to give you an idea. On the right side i just stuck the camera under the hugger and snapped the photo.

Left Side Rearward Mount...

IMG_2430 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Left Side Foward Mount...

IMG_2431 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Right Side Bracket Mount...

IMG_2432 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Wow! You've been a great help,THANK YOUUUUUUUU! I ordered the hugger and sport bike shipped it the same day, Friday! These photos will really help. Thanks again!

UPDATE: 3/30/13- installed my hugger this a.m. Really easy to install! I have yet to test ride the V with it, but I am sure it'll be sufficient protection and it looks good, too! I ordered the glossy black with white, but they were out of it, so I got the carbone finish with silver mesh. It fits right in with the color scheme of the bike. Thanks again, man!

Last edited by ESE_VERSYS2013; 03-30-2013 at 11:33 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versys155 View Post
For the rear, i bought the hugger like weljo, from frog specialties with matching color. For the front i added an extended grill to the radiator guard, along with the fender extender. Went to home depot and bought a 10.00 dollar (can't remember the grade strength) grill and cut it with shears. Yes ugly for most, but i'm happy with it...shoot one day stopped by cycle gear to pick up something and two guys were looking at it, as i walked out and one of them said "it's just a cheap piece" and i looked at him and said if that "cheap piece" stops just one thing that could damage my pipes, oil filter or engine case... it's paid for itself." The guy looked at me and didn't say anything. Like he pays my bills.... gezzz.
That grill is a great idea. I use that same stuff for my fireplace (to use on top of my grate), the only problem is it's durability. It will dissipate heat better than about anything (which will keep your grate from melting if you burn Mesquite wood), but I've found it can be brittle. Regardless, an innovative idea for someone like me that won't ride trails much.

Last edited by kawdawg; 04-02-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode