quest for knowledge... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
quest for knowledge...

in the next two months or so im buying a new bike. i know the sv650s and versys are two totally different animals but whats the true potential of modability on the versys? originally last year i was going to buy a versys then wound up at a honda dealer getting an oil change on my younger brother's vtx. i saw the 919 aka hornet and thought wow... 40 more horses and only $1000 more. so i bought it. it wasnt what i needed as i crashed it goin thru a turn i had went thru faster many times before on that very bike. everyone reading this is probably thinkin'' yeah this guy needs mods like i need a hole in the head'' im just sayin my previous rides were honda xl250r, klr 650 with ported and polished head and that thing was mean, then a 81 cb450 sc, then the 919... clearly a big jump but i had rode crotch rockets before and felt i was ready... im now looking to take a step down back to the 650 sport but not super sport range... i dont want a rocket but maybe small nos shot... not just a pipe and k&n air filter

Last edited by wr3ncher; 12-21-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

just to add my 919 accident could be debated as foolish riding but i inspected the carnage and the welds on the swingarm broke and i had suspected them to be shotty even a week into owning the bike... i dont think i did anything jerky going into the turn but i'll never really know if the swingarm broke as a result or was the cause of my crash... but anyway im back on my feet now looking for new bike and just wondering how far the versys could be stretched power wise
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 PM

I have to agree, you need mods and more power like a hole in the head (or your, say, your leg... ).

Sure, you can mod the Versys (as can everything else) to deliver more power. Look through the performance threads, several dyno charts that show the results of pipe, PC, airbox mods, etc. Most of the gains are in the mid-range, little at the top end, but this makes them very useful for daily usage. It's just a question of money. How much are you willing to spend to get what results?

In reality, it's fast enough as it is. If you can't ride it fast, it's not the bike's fault, just as MountainRider.

Gustavo

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Its not a revver at all. If you want HP you probably should look elsewhere. It probably outpulls my SV650S on the bottom but the SV will kick its butt up top and the SV is not all that fast. Keep in mind you dont need HP to be fast. I can just about ride and keep up with all my buddies on the Ninja 250 in the twisties. Thats a whole smokin 27 hp keeping up with 100+ hp bikes.

ST1300, Versys, SV650S

Last edited by gti20vturbo; 12-21-2008 at 05:24 PM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:32 PM

Just from reading your post, I think you'd be happier with the SV. It's a great bike & has been around for a long time. There are many tried & true performance mods & many use it as a track bike. Its got plenty of pep & can be ridden as easy as you want to for street riding. Used SV's can be readily found for great prices. I say get the SV...

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 06:17 PM

Why not an ER6N , they come out in the spring. Or the 650 Ninja (er6f), a good rider could keep up with just about anybody on one of those. Kevin Cameron said it best, "if you want to go faster-become a better rider"
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

i know im looking for the best of both worlds but ill say it again im done with the 100hp bikes if not for good atleast till my license cools off a bit. and after looking at the line up the gladius is just ugly compared to the versys... not into lookin all over creation for the sv and wouldnt want one used after searching sv650 on youtube... in short im looking for small displacement to go high to mid 11s in the quarter with mods and still commute on it and remain in the naked genre with out having to give up on eye candy... i liked the way sitting on the versys felt just wanted to see if 75 hp was ascertainable... the er6 looks fast and thats just not what i want
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 11:22 PM

I have both a 2003 sv1000 naked and 08 versys. Both are unbelievable. Versys for longer rides. Sv for in town stuff. The Versys is really the go to bike but I just love the sv1000 and it'sstreet fighter stance.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:01 AM

Hmmm

ok, kidding... well, mostly kidding

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 AM

could of bought a 919 07 new for 6700...still might when the time comes...im in the same boat i feel a smaller lowered power bike is like a step backwards

todays market there are left over new 1000 cc bikes z1000 on an on new for under 7000
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Hmmm

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr3ncher View Post
in the next two months or so im buying a new bike. i know the sv650s and versys are two totally different animals but whats the true potential of modability on the versys?
I don't understand your goal. Why don't you just think about what you want a bike to do and then get the bike that best fills those needs without modification or with minimal mods? If you're into custom stuff, then I kind of understand, but there is a huge variety of street bikes out there with all sorts of combinations of size, power, power delivery, suspension, comfort, etc.

I've done quite a few modifications on my Husaberg, but the dirt bike world really is different from the street bike world, in that you don't have anywhere close to the choices to really zero in on a factory spec bike that can meet widely variable needs.

I'm not suggesting what you should do, but I'd never buy a new street bike that required much more than required for personal comfort (i.e. windscreen) or convenience (like luggage.)

Whichever way you go, good luck and have fun.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
Hmmm

I like it, and I think it would probably be a very good urban commuter bike.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

cant really say i have a goal or know what i really want... thought i wanted a fast bike, it got me in trouble... thought i wanted a dual sport(my klr) didnt like it on the highway where im at a good amount of the time... thought my old cb 450 was a good match but just a lil more snot out of the motor and a taller bike all around, mainly for the foot peg to seat distance, would have made all the difference... im not looking for a rocket ship but a quick(not fast) touring sort of easy to commute on, doesnt look like a hot rod, and still has some sex appeal... the V looks the part and what i read does everything without excelling in one area... want to stay with small displacement so as not to get too trigger happy, and stay away from sport looking bikes to avoid taunting at red lights... my brother thinks i should get a cruiser(harley looking) i told him id get a cruiser when i look like i should be on one(big ole belly and big beard, not to offend the cruiser guys)... i still want to be able to play a lil bit but not have to own two bikes to do so... i know im lookin at a bike with a top speed of 125-135 here... thats more than enough and i may even wind up gearing it down for some umf...im not looking to mod it out of the box but just wanted to feel comfortable that as i got more comfy on the bike and with its power i could snaz up the power plant a lil to get the most out of it... after posting this i did more looking on this site and found the worst of post... that answered alot of questions for me... im familiar with the siamese twin motor as my cb450 had one and i got used to that... the klr got me used to being on such a tall bike(mine actually came with a lowering link that replaced with stock)... and my 919 really taught me i dont need a ton of power and that id be better off on a lighter bike anyway... and if you think mirror placement on the versys is a shoulder shot try the 9er... im gonna do what i can to sweet talk my local kawi dealer into a test drive come spring... or find another one that needs the sale that bad just to be sure... i spent a ton of time and gas money looking for the right bike when i bought the 919 but i bought it somewhat out of impulse... at 28 who wouldnt want a 100 hp 4 cylinder over a 60hp twin... before the 919 took a dive i was aiming to sell it and get something smaller anyway as i also find myself in downtown traffic alot... i used everyone of my bikes everyday almost all day the 919 was too damn heavy and sucked some gas even putt-ing around... and i think it just took me writing all this to realize i need a jack of all trades with a modest price tag
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

one more thing making me lean toward the versys... you can find a ton of anything on ebay... not that youd want it sometimes but i can only find one damn versys... maybe it says they worth holding onto... they only started in 08 but i can find 09 bikes on there from any manufacturer
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 PM

Sounds like you're talking yourself into a Versys....

Where are you? fill out your profile so I can see where you are...

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 PM

They didn't sell a ton of them in the States in 08 because they weren't available in California. Almost anywhere besides CA and FL, you can drive for hours without seeing a motorcycle that's not a Harley or supposed to look like one...

I'm calm like a bomb!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 PM

wr3ncher,
If you are like any of the other riders this will be far from your last bike. Buy something...enjoyed...then when you get bored...go buy something else. It seems to work for everyone. I have had 9 bikes in 5 years cruisers, sport touring,streetfighter,utility,and now the V.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:59 PM

9 bikes in 5 years? When did you have time to enjoy them?

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

because i see alot on the road... primarily cuz im on the road alot... i shy away from used or as you say enjoyed bikes... until i got my 919 i never had a new vehicle... ive always fixed up something that had quirks... i decided since my credit was ok and i really dint want to hear my brother tell me again that im dumpin money into someone elses crap, that i was gonna go with a new bike and i got to say just for the fact that if anything goes wrong in the first year other than brake pads wearing out that its on the dealer that alone is a huge weight off my shoulders... ive been an auto mechanic for years but the last thing a plumber wants to do is fix his own toilet, a roofer fix his roof, etc... a new bike was the way to go and i think ill keep it that way... my town is full of backyard mechanics and everyone has a machine they are lookin to sell... but i get to see most of them in action and id never buy a bike i was gonna need for dependable transportation from anyone in my town... kinda makes me semi untrusting to buying a used anything but you can lose a wheel in a car and still have a chance... id like to see soemthing fall off a bike and the rider not have to go to the hospital... but im prolly gonna wind up buying a versys in a couple months when i can tolerate the temperature again... i was thinking about the sv, gladius, vstrom, versys, even entertained the thought of another klr but im not goin off road unless theres something oncoming in my lane, the sv is too sporty for me prolly get me in trouble, the gladius is just ugly in my opinion, the vstrom is nice but heavy and seems more a highway speed capable dirt bike that you wouldnt want to be in real woods with and a lil too much upright for the highway... the versys definitly fits the bill as far as looks go... im not whining about power i really dont think i need much in the way of mods anyway im only 170lbs... the height of the seat was what everyone seems to complain about and the weestrom is just as high but having a 33 in inseam im ok on it... i know no one can tell me whats gonna be good for me im just a sponge trying to suck up as much as i can about all the bikes ive seen that i thought i might enjoy... before i bought my 919 i had my heart set on the versys but 40 extra ponies for $1000 more at 28 was just unpassable... hind sight being 20/20 id prolly still have the versys being the only thing i think id bitch about would be the paint color... finaly they made a green one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode