• 3 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By quexpress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replace shifter?

Im finding the Forma Adventure boots to be too thick for my shifter. We moved it to the higher setting and that was a train wreck as well. Has anyone done an aftermarket longer shifter? If so, brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...r-3rd-gen.html

There is a thread on this sometime back- attached above.

You can always DIY to desired length if you have a friendly welder nearby.
or
try moose racing forged shifters :https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/m...ever?rrec=true

Last edited by Fastoman; 05-20-2020 at 09:59 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 11:39 PM

Garage
Too bad this sw-motech only fits the V1000

You might want to try some India motorcycle aftermarket accessories. The Versys 650 is popular there, and they have a lot of 3rd party accessories.

2017 Versys 650 ABS Part:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by REDHORSECA; 05-20-2020 at 11:59 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
My view changed on this.
I was concerned about up shifting.
Turns out emergency downshifting is happening far more often while standing and the current shorter length reduces the need to move on peg.
So, careful what you wish for.

I still wish it would fold... didn't get to that mod yet.

Last tip: dont forget to lube the shifter, it does wear and jam if forgotten. Chain lube seems to penetrate enough left and right of the lever body. Some people simply added a grease nipple.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yes, the V650 needs a longer shifter. One that folds so it doesn't mangle when the bike is dropped would also be nice.

I have the same Forma boots. What I've found is raising the shift lever somewhat but not all the way up does help. On my 2015 V650 it starts to miss shifts if adjusted too high. Something interferes with it. Standing is a different foot angle than sitting, too. So everything is a compromise. My suggestion is to fiddle with the height until you can find the right compromise.

If you have a platform style foot peg it will make the problem worse.I have Pivot Pegz which provide a wider platform but they pivot which actually makes the distance to the lever feel longer.

After a long detour around parts diagrams this morning, it is interesting to note the V650 pushes forward on the connector rod when down shifting, where the V1000 pulls rearward on the rod when down shifting. So the shaft into the transmission is rotating in opposite directions. I find that a surprising difference in mechanical design of the transmissions.

It may be possible to reverse the attachment to the shift shaft to make the V1000 lever work on a V650.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I also have little problem with shifting, my foot is 14 US size. I use Timberland for now, because I can't find boots (which I wish) in my number to try them in shops.
Also I was looking into that lever. And wish to buy from wrecked V650 third generation, for little money, and than try to make longer lever.

Cut lever in 2 piece, add extra part between and connect them with screws, and add Metal Epoxy for extra strength on connection points. Or maybe weld that parts.
if is lever 1 inch longer it will be helpfully for big foot.
quexpress likes this.

Gas for heating, diesel for plowing, electricity for cooking, petrol for driving
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Take a look at "footpeg lowering blocks". They EFFECTIVELY raise the shifter, perhaps 3/4". (Just looked at my '15 shifter/ footpeg relationship.)

jaaklucas, Buffalo_Bob and Duffy like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Take a look at "footpeg lowering blocks". They EFFECTIVELY raise the shifter, perhaps 3/4". (Just looked at my '15 shifter/ footpeg relationship.)

I wear a size 13 Boot and with the MotoWerk peg lowering blocks it made it a perfect fit. Prior to adding the blocks i missed shifts all the time....

P1010501 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 05:02 PM

Garage
Might be easier to just modify the OEM gear shift lever. Graft and weld an adjustable and folding pad.

This adjustable design is nice.

Alot of these dirt bike levers are $15 -$25

Suzuki DR250 DR350 DR650 DR 250 350 650

Just cut some pedals and weld or drill and screw them onto the OEM pedal.

Last edited by REDHORSECA; 05-21-2020 at 05:10 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHORSECA View Post
Too bad this sw-motech only fits the V1000

That's sexy !

LOP
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Cool Smooth Footwork

I have always felt that my Gen3 Versys 650 shifter and brake pedal were a bit too short to be as comfortable to use as possible.

I then decided to cut the shifter and have a welder lengthen it by 1¾ inch before getting it powdercoated satin black.

With a larger Sportster rubber peg, this gave 1¼ inch more clearance for my foot.

At the same time, I added a large cover over the brake pedal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...-/153504973794

The brake pedal and cover were also powdercoated black.

The end result is certainly not what off road riders need.

On the other hand I find these very easy and comfortable to use while street touring.

Note:The brake pedal now needed to be adjusted lower.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I have always felt that my Gen3 Versys 650 shifter and brake pedal were a bit too short to be as comfortable to use as possible.

I then decided to cut the shifter and have a welder lengthen it by 1¾ inch before getting it powdercoated satin black. ]
Normand, your attention to detail never stops amazing me! Your mods are amazing and seamless.
quexpress likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 08:56 AM

Awesome job! I don't need a longer shift lever, but I'd love for the shifter peg to be longer, so that Sportster mod might just be the ticket. Is that an OEM H-D part, or aftermarket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post

I then decided to cut the shifter and have a welder lengthen it by 1¾ inch before getting it powdercoated satin black.

With a larger Sportster rubber peg, this gave 1¼ inch more clearance for my foot.

quexpress likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, Retreads Int'l.

Shoodaben ECU reflash; SW-Motech luggage rack, side racks, cases, foot pegs & GPS shelf; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; RKA tank bag; Nat'l Cycle windscreen; Givi hand guards; BMW grips; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; full decalectomy.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Awesome job! I don't need a longer shift lever, but I'd love for the shifter peg to be longer, so that Sportster mod might just be the ticket. Is that an OEM H-D part, or aftermarket?
It's OEM H-D. I tried aftermarket but they are fabricated in metal only. I wanted a rubber covered shifter peg because of comfort.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode