• 2 Post By quexpress
  • 3 Post By quexpress
  • 3 Post By SteveJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Gold valves on Gen 3

who has done it? was it worth it? any suggestions?

there is also an Italian cart kit... thats a "maybe" if it is really good

I have an Ohlins rear shock

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Smile Gen 3 650 Fork Revalve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
who has done it? was it worth it? any suggestions?
I don't know anyone who has revalved a Gen3 650 with Race Tech's Gold valve, etc.

However I can tell you that I have revalved mine (compression and rebound) in March 2018 without using the Gold Valve.

Since the Gen3 OEM 20mm fork valves already flow pretty good, I decided to massage them and clone Race Tech's revalve system.

It takes time (lots of testing) but I'm very happy with the results.

I need to find some time and try to write up some steps to follow. It's similar to what fellow riders have done for their Gen 1 and Gen2 Versys. However, instead of grinding valve shims, I decided to use new shims as does Race Tech.
onewizard likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2020, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
so.... spill. what did you use & why. thanks!

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Every bike I have put gold valve cartridge emulators in is because it needed it, and in every case was a vast improvement in suspension compliance without becoming mushy.

Kawasaki actually recommended running 28 PSI in the front tire of the Vulcan Voyager to compensate for their piss poor fork internals. When it was at a dealer getting the engine issue diagnosed they had to keep doing things and riding it. I came to check on it and they immediately quizzed me on if I had done anything to the suspension because it was THAT NOTICEABLE! Definitely the least expensive way to vastly improved suspension performance upgrade.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 11:14 AM

Very interested in how people have improved the MK3 forks, aside from switching to ATF, which I need to try. The Andreani cartridge kit is high on my list after the improvements the R1 shock made in the rear, but if gold valves are effective and less expensive I would be onboard for that.
Beezerboy likes this.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yea.... what he said. I switched to ATF, it's OK but not a lot of difference. I thing theres room for a lot of improvement

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 05:15 PM

Thumbs up Fork Revalve on Gen3 Versys 650

Quote:
OK!
Give me some time and I'll see what I can write up for you.
Beezerboy and onewizard like this.

I just shuffle slower.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 09:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Very interested in how people have improved the MK3 forks, aside from switching to ATF, which I need to try. The Andreani cartridge kit is high on my list after the improvements the R1 shock made in the rear, but if gold valves are effective and less expensive I would be onboard for that.
The main difference is that once you get the Gold Valves set to your liking you are going to keep them that way for the long haul.

The Cartridge kit usually comes with external adjustment for compression and rebound, so if you are the type who changes settings for the nice twisty road and change them again for comfort on the interstate, you will want the adjustable cartridges.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm fine with something that works well most of the time. I have no need to twiddle knobs just for the sake of it. this bike will is mostly highway and some gravel roads. I'm not blasting the twisties, I'm not pounding the woops. surely there is an ambient setting can cover that.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 07:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
I'm fine with something that works well most of the time. I have no need to twiddle knobs just for the sake of it. this bike will is mostly highway and some gravel roads. I'm not blasting the twisties, I'm not pounding the woops. surely there is an ambient setting can cover that.
Race Tech will provide a good initial setting for you. Some guys end up fishing them out a couple times adjusting, but that really depends on what other suspension you have experienced and how bad the stock suspension is. I found their initial setting much improved that I didn't want to bother fishing them out and adjusting.

Have you checked your current sag on the front forks to determine if you should go for new springs as well as the GVEs?

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 09:54 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Every bike I have put gold valve cartridge emulators in is because it needed it, and in every case was a vast improvement in suspension compliance without becoming mushy.
For the Versys 650, Racetech furnishes Gold Valves ... not gold valve cartridge emulators.
These Gold Valves replace the OEM valves in our right hand side fork. Along with these valves, they send a bunch of valve shims and basic instructions as a baseline to get started.

Once done, the rider has the same adjustments as with the OEM setup ... but with a much superior suspension.

I cloned that approach ... using the OEM valves (modified) along with the suggested valve shims.

As mentioned earlier, I need to gather my data and put it in logical sequence to print.
Beezerboy, onewizard and SteveJ like this.

I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 07:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
For the Versys 650, Racetech furnishes Gold Valves ... not gold valve cartridge emulators.
These Gold Valves replace the OEM valves in our right hand side fork. Along with these valves, they send a bunch of valve shims and basic instructions as a baseline to get started.

Once done, the rider has the same adjustments as with the OEM setup ... but with a much superior suspension.

I cloned that approach ... using the OEM valves (modified) along with the suggested valve shims.

As mentioned earlier, I need to gather my data and put it in logical sequence to print.

I forgot the 3rd gen were improved over the previous generations.

My Versys Travels:

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Your write ups are legendary, looking forward to it.
Beezerboy, onewizard and jaaklucas like this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I forgot the 3rd gen were improved over the previous generations.
Yes the Gen 3 suspension is improved. However Racetech has the same approach & instructions for the Gen 1 & Gen 2 Versys: Gold valves (rebound and compression) + a bunch of shims.

I just shuffle slower.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Your write ups are legendary, looking forward to it.

Geez! Easy on the pressure Steve!
I started assembling my notes. Thanks.

I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 05-09-2020 at 06:37 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Geez! Easy on the pressure Steve!
I started assembling my notes. Thanks.
No pressure, just admiration and appreciation.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 08:37 PM

Cool

Quote:
See Gen3 Versys 650 Front Fork Valving

I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 05-24-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode