It IS TRUE about/ VERY OLD Rubber/ TPMS and OLD rubber valve stems - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Like Tree20Likes
  • 4 Post By foxpro
  • 2 Post By foxpro
  • 1 Post By foxpro
  • 1 Post By james75
  • 3 Post By foxpro
  • 4 Post By _Big_Mac_
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
It IS TRUE about/ VERY OLD Rubber/ TPMS and OLD rubber valve stems

I did ride the old 2008 with the rubber valve stems and then thought (I better check them ) after just a short ride.Granted these are probably the original valve stems BUT I am assuming sooner or later there will be a problem running rubber stems with the TPMS.
I was tearing down the old girl anyway for some new shoes and new chain and sprockets so while I was at it I installed some new stems.as you can see the stems were cracking and it didn't take much effort to SNAP then in two.
so there she sits in all her glory till next week when the Brown Truck arrives.All my preparation work will be done and Ill have the old girl ready for my trip .I went with a RK MVZX chain and new front and rear sprockets Ill be running a 43 on the rear 15 front .And new Pirelli Angel ST EMS Tires.I cannot wait to have it all done and ready to tour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0810.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	168363   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	168365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0812.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	168367  

Smooth is fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to post

These are what I installed .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	168369  
invader and onewizard like this.

Smooth is fast.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What kind are those and where can I get them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpro View Post

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Look for Bridgeport 83 degree valve stems on E bay . 11.3 MM is the size you need .
onewizard likes this.

Smooth is fast.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 09:12 PM

All rubber valve stems should be changed every 2 yrs or less...nothing to do with TPMS. Just good maintenance practice.

Jay™
2016 Versys 1000
2016 Versys 650
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Good choice. Mine has a Life time warranty (USA made) and have lasted more than 6 years.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I got mine off eBay also but when i bought mine they were less than 3 bucks but they just went up in the last few weeks...https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-Black...97.m4902.l9144

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 06:00 AM

I've had such angular metal stems on a different bike and they had to be mounted at a 45 deg angle rather than straight to the side of the wheel or they wouldn't clear calipers. Is this something you also ran into on the Versys?

2015 Versys 650
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
How long were those rubber valve stems on the bike. Rubber valve stems should be replaced every time you replace the tires. If a stem will push over and break like that, it was probably dry rotted to begin with.
foxpro likes this.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

I just bought the 2008 last year from a second owner. Lets just say I am pretty sure these stems were about Eight years old as the Tires have a birth date of 2012 on them.That is exactly why I was replacing the stems and Tires.I didn't want to throw out tires with good tread BUT when I saw the birth date I knew it had to be done for my piece of mind and safety.I posted this to bring to the attention of a owner installing TPMS to check said stems before you trust your safety to the stems currently on your scoot.
onewizard, quexpress and james75 like this.

Smooth is fast.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 09:26 AM

Well then, the thread name is misleading - it's not TPMS that seemed to caused the failure, it's old age 8-year old rubber anything on a bike may very well crumple. Good thing to bring it up, mine are probably too old for comfort too.

2015 Versys 650
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Very OLD------DDDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Well then, the thread name is misleading - it's not TPMS that seemed to caused the failure, it's old age 8-year old rubber anything on a bike may very well crumple. Good thing to bring it up, mine are probably too old for comfort too.
I agree and added some clarity. @foxpro
foxpro likes this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
I've had such angular metal stems on a different bike and they had to be mounted at a 45 deg angle rather than straight to the side of the wheel or they wouldn't clear calipers. Is this something you also ran into on the Versys?
BEFORE I replaced my stems w/ the 90 degree Aluminum ones (from Ebay - Chinese), I had longer ones (Honda Goldwing...?) that DID require being turned to not interfere w/ the calipers.
_Big_Mac_ and foxpro like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I for one would never use rubber valve stems with a TPMS. Same reason as why i never bought an old barber style straight razor to shave with. Even though i always wanted one...
quexpress and foxpro like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I did ride the old 2008 with the rubber valve stems and then thought (I better check them ) after just a short ride.Granted these are probably the original valve stems BUT I am assuming sooner or later there will be a problem running rubber stems with the TPMS.
I was tearing down the old girl anyway for some new shoes and new chain and sprockets so while I was at it I installed some new stems.as you can see the stems were cracking and it didn't take much effort to SNAP then in two.
so there she sits in all her glory till next week when the Brown Truck arrives.All my preparation work will be done and Ill have the old girl ready for my trip .I went with a RK MVZX chain and new front and rear sprockets Ill be running a 43 on the rear 15 front .And new Pirelli Angel ST EMS Tires.I cannot wait to have it all done and ready to tour.
Those may very well have been the original 12.5 year old stems, especially considering their actual condition... Which state are you in? Is it very hot there and/or close to the ocean?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2020, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Those may very well have been the original 12.5 year old stems, especially considering their actual condition... Which state are you in? Is it very hot there and/or close to the ocean?
Yes very hot in the summer . I live in Eastern washington State.Bike was always kept in a garage.The other rubber items on this scooter are in excellent shape but I agree I do believe these were the original stems.It didn't take any effort to SNAP them in two.That's why I posted this If a member has a older V its something that should be looked at .

Smooth is fast.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 01:09 PM
FNG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey foxpro, what front stand are you using? There was one brand of front stand that was too short according to some other folks. Thanks.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2020, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG View Post
Hey foxpro, what front stand are you using? There was one brand of front stand that was too short according to some other folks. Thanks.
Mine are t-Rex and work great, I shortened the length on mine after lowering the bike.Plenty of air under front tire.The rear stand is perfect, when taking off rear wheel a 2x4 and a sliver of cardboard is just right to realign rear axle in the hole on the swing arm.

Smooth is fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode