Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dddd
  • 1 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By FriendlyVikingDude

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
shinko 705 tires, anyone running them?

looking for a new set of dual sport tires. I've heard the the shinko 705's spoken highly of, anyone used them on the versys 650? also will the 170/60 17 shinko 705 fit the rear wheel without issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
They were the biggest deception I ever bought into. Stay away.
I cannot understand how so many people are swallowing that, except to avoid admitting they also made a bad choice.
It's not even close to a dualsport tire; no grip except fair on pavement. It skidded in every direction.

As for mileage, a PR4 would do 19000-21000km while the "stinko" only did 13000km.

Go to the other end of the spectrum and get knobbies like anakee wild or ax41.
Then you will know what you want in between road tires and offroad tires.
If you still want no grip and no mileage just to save 100$, go get it.

170/60 fits and that's my recommendation too (certainly over 150/70 which fits too but wears faster)
Fastoman likes this.

Last edited by dddd; 04-05-2020 at 07:08 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 08:10 AM

Garage
Iíve been running the 705ís for 3 years. The 170 rear. I have recently installed a new set. Much of my riding is rural roads and highways. Some gravel and dirt roads. No single track or extreme off road (Seriously, the Versys is a sport touring bike, not an adventure bike). My V has been modified to make it more of an adventure touring bike, and is often heavily loaded. I ride in all weather from early spring to early winter. Commuting, running errands, getting groceries, and camping trips.

Iíd call the 705ís a 90/10 on/off road. Maybe 80/20. Not 70/30 like is often advertised. Adjust your expectations accordingly. The 705ís are loud, and they vibrate at low speed. They are rather round in profile so the bike feels tippy at first. I get about 15,000 km (a riding year) out of a rear tire, and double that for the front. Others have done better, but Iím fine with this life.

The 705ís suit >my< needs just fine. Much better than the Michelin PR4ís that were previously installed, which got me stuck on wet grass, were terrible on gravel or dirt, but on clean pavement the PR4ís excelled. If I never left pavement, Iíd consider them again.

I think the 705ís are a decent compromise for a little off pavement riding at a reasonable price. Just like the Versys.

HTH,
Dave

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I ran a few rears and one front of 705s. I then mounted up real sport touring tires, Pirelli Angel GT. I find it difficult to foresee me ever going back.

Currently running Bridgestone T31 Evo. Better handling, much better wear, etc. A disclaimer, I am really hard on rear tires. I usually got about 3500 miles on the Shinkos(three of them). The Pirelli Angels and Dunlop RS3 would go 6k miles, the T31s slightly less. The bike has 69k miles on it and is on rear tire #13. I run about 10% over factory air pressure settings.

I just bought two sets of T31-s from Rocky Mountain ATV for less than $400 after rebate, in case you are looking at the Shinkos just because of the price.

If you want a mild off road I hear Pirelli makes a decent 90/10 tire.

Ride focused.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 10:08 AM

Heard bad things about the 705 bias ply. I'd definitely stick with the radial version only. Just found bias 705's on Amazon, but they may be older stock. I assumed they had quit making the bias ply, maybe not?

Last edited by dmer; 04-05-2020 at 10:10 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
I’ve been running the 705’s for 3 years. The 170 rear. I have recently installed a new set. Much of my riding is rural roads and highways. Some gravel and dirt roads. No single track or extreme off road (Seriously, the Versys is a sport touring bike, not an adventure bike). My V has been modified to make it more of an adventure touring bike, and is often heavily loaded. I ride in all weather from early spring to early winter. Commuting, running errands, getting groceries, and camping trips.

I’d call the 705’s a 90/10 on/off road. Maybe 80/20. Not 70/30 like is often advertised. Adjust your expectations accordingly. The 705’s are loud, and they vibrate at low speed. They are rather round in profile so the bike feels tippy at first. I get about 15,000 km (a riding year) out of a rear tire, and double that for the front. Others have done better, but I’m fine with this life.

The 705’s suit >my< needs just fine. Much better than the Michelin PR4’s that were previously installed, which got me stuck on wet grass, were terrible on gravel or dirt, but on clean pavement the PR4’s excelled. If I never left pavement, I’d consider them again.

I think the 705’s are a decent compromise for a little off pavement riding at a reasonable price. Just like the Versys.

HTH,
Dave
I have a set PR4's on thebike now and as a street tire they've been fantastic, but yeah on even a packed gravel road they're absolutely useless. forget dirt or loose gravel. need something with a little more off road capability. 80/20 with the 705's is kind of what I'm after. I'm no offroad rider but I'd to not feel like the bike is about to skid out as soon as I'm not on pavement.

how much louder would you say the 705's are than the PR4's
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
looking for a new set of dual sport tires. I've heard the the shinko 705's spoken highly of, anyone used them on the versys 650? also will the 170/60 17 shinko 705 fit the rear wheel without issue?
Me - they're the current tires on BOTH my V650s. Used to run METZLER Tourance tires - VERY long life (got OVER 29,000 miles from a rear 130/80 mounted on the front of BIG RED, my '08, w/ raised front fender), but they were difficult to install/remove - VERY stiff sidewall so I'd get to practice my cussing, and expensive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
I’ve been running the 705’s for 3 years. The 170 rear. I have recently installed a new set....I think the 705’s are a decent compromise for a little off pavement riding at a reasonable price. Just like the Versys.

HTH,
Dave
I got 16,465 kms from a 150/70 E705, and 12,870 kms on another, as well as 30,169 kms on a front 120/70.

In MY experience they handle well on pavement, dirt-roads, and wet or dry, altho' I don't try to "drag a knee".

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bought my 2015 Versys used, with fairly new looking Shinkos on it, 705 in front, 805 in back. Since it is the only thing I've ridden the bike with, I have no basis for comparison. I can say in about 3000 miles of riding they haven't blown up, like some folks scolded me would happen. To me, the 805 seems to have an extreme amount of grip on dirt/gravel/mud. So much so that it is sometimes hard to break loose when I try to do pivot turns. Since I can't compare it to anything, I've got no clue if I am giving up anything on pavement. The 705 in front seems fine, that's about all I can say. From what some highly experience friends have told me, the main thing I'm giving up with the Shinkos is tire wear. They use a very soft rubber compound. But I'm totally ok with that, I'd much rather replace my tires twice as often at 1/2 the price, and be riding on newish rubber.

-dm

-dm
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - when the Shinko E705 tires first arrived 'on our shores' they gained a reputation for shedding their treads, or suffering incipient tread separations - I had one (my first) show 8 or 9 blocks of incipient tread separations on a KLR, and a friend had a COMPLETE loss-of-tread on one on his BMW1200GS.

I advised against them for years, and then their current ones arrived w/ great write-ups, so I tried them again, and I'm quite happy w/ them.

On my last ride to Alaska, started w/ NEW E705s at both ends, I replaced the rear (150/70) in Anchorage, because I was afraid I wouldn't make it back home on it (wear).

Looking at the pic I took - I think I would've got home OK on it.

P6235168 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6235169 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I replaced it w/ a TKC80 knobby....

P6255264 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 04:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhawaiian View Post
how much louder would you say the 705's are than the PR4's
On a scale of 1 to 10 (quiet to loud) I would rate the PR 4ís at 2 and the 705ís at 7. I wear ear plugs at all times, so it isnít an issue for me, but they are rather loud. On pavement, people hear the tires before the bike.

I just broke out of quarantine to go for a ride and to get beer. I took a rather circuitous route that included a number of loose gravel roads. Other than the bike getting dusty, the gravel was a piece of cake. The bike tracked nicely with a minimal amount of squirming. I found myself going faster than intended a couple times.
Tcruarceri likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
FWIW - when the Shinko E705 tires first arrived 'on our shores' they gained a reputation for shedding their treads, or suffering incipient tread separations - I had one (my first) show 8 or 9 blocks of incipient tread separations on a KLR, and a friend had a COMPLETE loss-of-tread on one on his BMW1200GS.

I advised against them for years, and then their current ones arrived w/ great write-ups, so I tried them again, and I'm quite happy w/ them.

On my last ride to Alaska, started w/ NEW E705s at both ends, I replaced the rear (150/70) in Anchorage, because I was afraid I wouldn't make it back home on it (wear).

Looking at the pic I took - I think I would've got home OK on it.

P6235168 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

P6235169 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I replaced it w/ a TKC80 knobby....

P6255264 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Hey mate what tank bag is that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 03:58 AM

Garage
I've put Avon TrailRiders on mine (650 from 2008) and while I can't say much about how long they'll last (having just put them on for this season) I've been on a track course with them, and I'm more than happy with them for aggressive road (well, track) use, and I've been out a few times in the rain, where they also felt solid.

I've been up a few gravel roads but nothing seriously offroady yet - but they handle a lot better than my previous set which were some nice 100% road tires.

Don't know if the TrailRiders are too "road" for you, but for what it's worth, I'm pleasantly surprised at how will mine perform so far.
jaaklucas likes this.

..be one of the good guys.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 07:56 AM

I have used the 705 for years on my F650GS. I get about 10k on the front and 4k to 5k on the rear. Tey handle anything other than deep mud. I have even done some single track. The lack of proper lugs makes mud difficult as the semi-blocks will clog. Sand is not too bad, but considering I can carve pretty well on road with them, the off-road performance is fine.

The one problem I have found is balancing the front wheel with them. At speeds north of 75, I can a slight high-speed wobble with the 705s. It is definitely the tire as swapping on a road tire solves the problem. I have not yet tried it on my new to me 2008 Versys 650, but I will soon.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyVikingDude View Post
I've put Avon TrailRiders on mine (650 from 2008) and while I can't say much about how long they'll last (having just put them on for this season) I've been on a track course with them, and I'm more than happy with them for aggressive road (well, track) use, and I've been out a few times in the rain, where they also felt solid.

I've been up a few gravel roads but nothing seriously offroady yet - but they handle a lot better than my previous set which were some nice 100% road tires.

Don't know if the TrailRiders are too "road" for you, but for what it's worth, I'm pleasantly surprised at how will mine perform so far.
Ditto on the Trailriders. Solid M&S all situation road tire. Radial and real good grip. Quiet. The sipes seem to add traction on hot tar sqiggles as well as water. Theyre 90/10 though, Shinko 705 looks better for gravel. On my 3rd rear, first two went 18,000K. 2nd front ,first went 35,000K.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ross View Post
...Hey mate what tank bag is that?...
My tank bags (I have TWO - a silver one in AZ and a black one in BC) are T-BAGS but I believe they quit making them. TOO bad, as I find them to be EXCELLENT! Magnetic, w/ a strap to attach around the handle-bar riser.

DSC08191 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC08190 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0065 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 05:42 PM

I ran a few sets on my V-Strom 1K. I was happy enough with them, for the price. A little loud and hard to balance, but I can't complain. I eventually opened the wallet a little wider and starting running Metzeler Tourances and I was very happy with those. Not sure what I'll run on the Versys when it comes time to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode