Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

anyone tried Pirelli Angel GT's or GTII's yet?

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
my wifes 2016 650LT needs new tires this summer. the stockers are starting to get a little nasty, not that they were that great new. I put Angel GT's on my other 2 bikes and really like them but they are different size. I was wondering how they work on the 650 with the 160 rear tire. I am open to most tires, I only settled on the Angels due to price/positive feedback.

#3 ·
i've only had them on other bikes-180 and 190. both were paper thin at the end of life. have moved to avon and love them. have had almost everything else. i have been happy with the spirits on the bigger bikes. will replace the oems with them hopefully new year's day.

#4 ·
This was on my bying list when a few month ago I was looking for new tires. But hover here the Pirelli tires are more expensive.

I went for the continental Contiroadattack 3 and I'm very happy with them. Very good grip. I can't say about durability as I only had them on the bike for the last 3000km or so.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

#5 ·
I ran a set on my '15. Two rears to one front. They work just as well on my 650 as on other bikes. No cupping toward the end like PR tires. They handled and rode nicely to the end. The rears lasted 6k miles for me but I am quite hard on rear tires.

I've moved on to the Dunlop RS 3 or T-31 BS. Pretty much the same excellent handling and longevity for quite a bit less $$.

The refreshened RS2 is interesting, though.

I don't do Avons. Too many(3) failures. Two in the 70's, swore them off, then tried one seven years ago. It started separating about at about 1/3 into it's potential life. No more.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't do Avons. Too many(3) failures. Two in the 70's, swore them off, then tried one seven years ago. It started separating about at about 1/3 into it's potential life. No more.
My experience with Avon Trailriders is the opposite. On my 3rd rear, first 2 went to 18K kilometres if I remember correct.Still had some tread ,no problems otherwise. Im on my second front,first one went up to 38K kilometres. Still had some tread. I like these tires for us "close to mountains "riders as they are rated M&S, mandatory minimum by law for mountain pass surprise weather. Similar concept as an all-season radial on a car. Real nice grip on pavement yet smooth and quiet. Nice grip on hot tar sqiggles on a corner, a good test for grip for me. 90/10,not off -road but stout . Suits my style of riding so Ive stuck with what works.Though Im always up for trying something different but wading through all the tire hype is tiring!

#7 ·
I ran an Angel GT rear on my KTM 1190 Adventure. Only got 1800 miles from it til the wear bars. Not very impressed.

Been running Bridgestone S-21's and now the S-22 on my V-650. Hands down my favorite tire.

Fantastic handling and I get about 4k miles from a set. Plus they are one of the least expensive of the higher performance tires out there. Bridgestone runs their promo deals a couple times a year. Last 2 sets I bought came with a $60 Visa gift card. This effectively made the price for a set around $160.

Rocky Mountain ATV consistently has the best price. Front and rear for the V-650 are the same price at $109.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...battlax-s22-hypersport-rear-motorcycle-tire-p

#9 ·
I have a new to me , 6 month old 2015 LT . Right about 3000 miles on the stock tires, worn flat in the middle and could tell layers starting to show. I Ordered a Pirelli off line thought I ordered the GT but ended up getting the ST . The guy that works on my bike said that I should get better miles out of the ST. We will see , I seem to be pretty hard on back tires.

#10 ·
The ST is a very old tire. I think that it competed with the Michelin Pilot Road 2 when it came out and their In the 5 now... If it was a mistake I would send it back... The GT was an improvement on the ST regarding milleage, wet grip and safety.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

#11 ·
The 2012 I got a few months back came with Angel GT's front and rear, basically new. To me, they are a bit less stable on wet tarmac than I would prefer... I've felt the front start to slip a few times and it's left me a bit skeptical of how they would do if I really had to push the traction limits. Granted... I don't yet feel I know the bike as well as I'd like.

My last bike was a 'Strom with Shinko 705's for reference. I do check tire pressure before each ride.

I'll switch them out when they're done... or before. Leaning toward putting 705's or something similar on the V...

#14 ·
SHINKO E705 tires on my V650s

The records for my Gen 3 are up N in BC, but I'm on my SECOND 150/70 x 17 rear on my '08 V650 in AZ.

The first got 11,987 miles, while the present one has been on for about 9,000 miles, and will be replaced relatively soon. The 130/80 x 17 (rear tire) on the front has about 20K miles, w/ LOTS left, so can't say when it will be replaced. BTW - I run 36psi F, 42 psi R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.