• 1 Post By pvversys
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By dddd
  • 1 Post By Shibumik

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Madstad Windshield

I've finally decided to think about replaciing the stock windshield on my 2018 Versys650 LT. On my previous Vstrom DL1000 I fitted a Madstad unit which of course has the up & down adjustment & tilt adjustment.
I've seen a few posts here about fitting Givi & Puig windshields on the Versys but nothing on Madstads. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this upgrade.
funflyingguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I know someone here has installed the Madstad and loves it. Not sure who. But sure they will chime in soon...
funflyingguy likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm one of them.
Madstad is in top 3 of best comfort updates (with hw pegs and throttle lock).

Only one small fixable negative: the adjustment and pivot nuts (M6 x too short) can unscrew completely and fall off under vibration.
So find 2 longer bolts (by M6 x maybe 25-30 mm I don't recall well) and add nylocs at the ends. You don't want to loose the weird nut they have in there, it's hard to make one spare...

DON'T BUY these longer bolts on ebay or whatever. These are made of crappy soft metal and the threads will wear when the slack windshield frame will hammer the bolt.

To fix (when you feel like it, no hurry), "simply":

-buy good hard M6 bolts (go measure the length for certainty, though a 40mm is certainly enough)
-buy washers with one rubber side (this absorb some vibration before it's completely loose) to put on the single hole frame side where the star knob will press.
-take a toilet paper roll, cut 2 circle mold about 5/16" thick.
-crease corners to give it a shape that approaches a square or knobby star, whatever you want to grip the bolt head later.
-put them on a waxed paper
-mix and pour JB weld in them
-dip and rest the bolt centered on its head (assuming std hex head)
-let cure 24h
-sand with dremmel in the shape you want, removing all the stuck roll and rounding the edges (not too much!).
-liquid die in your favorite color.

Last edited by dddd; 11-12-2019 at 06:44 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvversys View Post
I've finally decided to think about replaciing the stock windshield on my 2018 Versys650 LT. On my previous Vstrom DL1000 I fitted a Madstad unit which of course has the up & down adjustment & tilt adjustment.
I've seen a few posts here about fitting Givi & Puig windshields on the Versys but nothing on Madstads. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this upgrade.

There is one for sale in the For Sale section of the forum.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvversys View Post
I bought my '15 used, it came with a Puig. A lot of buffeting. It hurt my ears even with foam ear plugs, it was literally painful

I ordered up a Givi 4112(IIRC) on my first road trip cuz the Puig was that bad. This was better , but still not "there".

I bought a used Madstad off of this forum. Better still, though not quite "there".

I purchased a deflector similar to this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Motorcycle-...s%2C183&sr=8-5

I mounted it upside down after trying it as shown. Now, I'm "there". No more buffeting, much quieter.

HTH.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Curious if anyone has simply added wings to the side of the stocker, along with a spoiler? Worked great on my old WeeStrom's stock screen. I kept the spoiler and already put it on the Versys, so thinking of adding lexan wings to widen the stock shield.(if needed) It's new to me, and haven't actually ridden it yet,(cold & snow) so the spoiler may be enough, but extra width is usually a good thing. I've used spoilers for years, on many different bikes. They are THEE fix for buffeting.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm 6'1 with a 32 insteam. The Madstad didn't quite cure the buffeting, but did have some improvement over stock. Not quite there 100%

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringTodd View Post
I'm 6'1 with a 32 insteam. The Madstad didn't quite cure the buffeting, but did have some improvement over stock. Not quite there 100%
What is the height of your Madstad?

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Add a spoiler. I got one on Revzilla for $100 I think it was, I am also 6'1 with 32" inseam. I also have the PUIG windsheild, it made a MASSIVE difference. I used to get hit with the buffeting right at my eyes or a little above and made for the worst ride, with the winsheidl and the spoiler it made me fall in love with my bike all over again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2525.jpg (47.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Gerharz14; 11-13-2019 at 05:32 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Oh, they are there. You just need to either adjust more (not too upright),
or lower your expectations as this is not going to make a versys feel like a goldwing!
The shield size also vary, depends what you bought.
funflyingguy likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 07:05 PM

Garage
I have the MadStad on my V1k. Love it. Im 64 and use the 22, but would Advise the 24 for anyone over 6 tall and lower as needed. An essential upgrade IMHO. Great company too.
funflyingguy likes this.

With all the pollution and climate change, what kind of world will we leave Keith Richards?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerharz14 View Post
Add a spoiler. I got one on Revzilla for $100 I think it was, the spoiler it made me fall in love with my bike all over again.

$30 on Amazon, often even cheaper on EBay. https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Wi...3694453&sr=8-8

Best 30 bucks you'll ever spend!

Last edited by dmer; 11-13-2019 at 08:26 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Took me a long time to get my 1st Gen sorted above 50mph. I started with a Givi 405? and the original Madstad bracket based on his Vstrom model.

Final solution was adding a lightly use Laminar Lip I found on fleabay... made all the difference in the world with a nice calm pocket of air up past 70mph.

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode