• 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By AmbientMoto
  • 2 Post By AmbientMoto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Sparkbright and USB port stealth location.2012 Versys

Did this install a few weeks ago; the Sparkbright was installed temporarily to test the location but today I made it more "final".

With my V-Strom, I had a dash with voltmeter and two switches. I realized having the voltmeter and switches in my line of sight was distracting. I don't really need to know every single voltage fluctuation.

With the Versys I'm trying to keep it more minimal. I knew I wanted a Sparkbright, and I also knew I wanted a USB port to charge my phone etc. I'm not quite ready to cut holes in my dash AND I wanted a visually minimal setup, so I was thinking about how to accomplish that.

I had already installed the Kawi Accessory Relay. It affords two powered (keyed) leads. For now, the Sparkbright and the USB port will occupy those leads. While preparing the relay/USB wiring I also made a short Y cable to split the power again if necessary, but for now it is not needed.

Whilst installing my Kawi relay a few weeks back, I noticed there was a lot of room between the tank and the left panel. I also noticed a few places that could easily support a small bracket. SO... a plan was hatched. I made a bracket for the USB port and mounted the bracket as shown in the photos. It's not perfect, but it's out of sight. Edges are smooth to avoid wire and finger abrasion.

The USB port lives out of sight but is easily accessed. It powers my phone and one more USB device if needed. A bonus is the Voltmeter built into the port, and Kawasaki Green seemed a fitting color choice. I can glance down and see the voltage if I'm curious, or if the Sparkbright starts doing something other than being green.

Speaking of the Sparkbright... it's a great little piece of kit. I decided to mount it without drilling a hole in the dash, attached to the left dash/fairing support bar. It's in direct line of sight, right below the tach.

I may change my mind and mount one or both of these in the dash, but for now... the placement works great and doesn't distract at all.

The USB port and bracket before final routing. Final relay wire routing is between the bracket and the tank, tied away from the tank edges. USB port power and ground come up from underneath the port.

Better to have it and not need it... adds another powered lead to the relay.

Top view. The nylon sheath is covering the Sparkbright wiring, which is a bit flimsy. This photo was before covering the back of the accessory relay. The accessory, USB, and Sparkbright leads are brass bullet connectors, with plastic covers. They are all taped up for safety, then zip-tied around the bracket for stability.

As seen from rider position.

Sparkbright against the fairing support, before securing.

Sparkbright wiring and USB cable, ready to re-attach fairing. The Sparkbright is attached with zips and electrical tape.

Final check before closing everything up. Bike not running. You can see the Sparkbright LED shining red, the Voltmeter shining green.

The Sparkbright as seen from the cockpit.

Here to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
i like that. seems like a good plan.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I did something similar when I wired in the USB port/volt meter to my bike.

I created a Y cable of sorts, when I crimped the USB port wires to the bullet connector I added an extra wire for two more bullet connectors. So I can plug in a total of three low voltage devices to the same accessory bullet connector on the factory harness.

Two more 4mm bullet connectors for other devices. (Garmin GPS charging/ Front/Rear Dashcam)
SteveJ likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 11:07 PM

I also have the Sparkbright. Good kit.
jaaklucas likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHORSECA View Post
I did something similar when I wired in the USB port/volt meter to my bike.

I created a Y cable of sorts, when I crimped the USB port wires to the bullet connector I added an extra wire for two more bullet connectors. So I can plug in a total of three low voltage devices to the same accessory bullet connector on the factory harness.

Two more 4mm bullet connectors for other devices. (Garmin GPS charging/ Front/Rear Dashcam)
Right! I figured the draw from most devices is minimal so doubling up would pose no problem. I want to install heated grips but they'll most likely be on a separate circuit and relay, direct from battery. Nice install; looks clean.

Here to learn.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if you were already aware of this or not, but that bracket you made is exactly where the Kawasaki 12V accessory port is designed to be mounted as well. But yours is much cheaper. Only real difference is that the Kawasaki bracket also has a tab for securing the relay. Nicely done here. But, if I might ask, why not run the USB cable and wire loom in between the forks and secured to the existing harness runs? I can't see without pics with everything buttoned back up, but it seems like your new wires hang down below the fairings and out in the open a bit more than I might prefer.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@leftbrain... well... that would be a better way, wouldn't it? The current cables are secured to the inside of the fairing and don't hang free... but I may know what I'm doing tonight. My original placement for the Sparkbright had me running the wires in the left fairing, then I shifted the placement and never really considered if the cable routing was the best or not. Through the center will be more functional for the second USB cable as well as it typically powers a GoPro attached to the bars. Thanks for the suggestion.

I was wondering where the Kawi bracket attached... interesting.
leftbrain99 likes this.

Here to learn.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbientMoto View Post
I was wondering where the Kawi bracket attached... interesting.
Yeah - the bracket comes with the full relay kit. Then the OEM socket fits in that bracket. Totally overpriced and you have done just as good for much less money. You can see it here, though:

https://www.kawasaki.com/accessories...-kit/999940195

https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Upl..._999940195.pdf

Also, I like the location of your sparkbright LED. I've had mine for 6 months now maybe and still keep trying to decide where to drill a hole but convince myself that an external mount would be better. I never considered placing it so deep, but it looks like it has good line of sight and I might locate mine in the same spot. Thanks for posting that.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Good job and well documented. Thanks Guys.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Follow up... I have since routed all cables through the triple, tied to the factory loom, as I should have done the first time... So much better.

16VGTIDave and leftbrain99 like this.

Here to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode