• 1 Post By _Big_Mac_
  • 1 Post By SidShadowsVers65
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Ninja 650 compatibility

I have my bike set up the way I'd like it to run, and it's great. ECU flashed, Yoshi exhaust, BMC Air filter, etc. However, if I wanted to get more power, would I be able to swap cam shafts, valves, etc. from a Ninja 650 into my Versys?

I know some people may say "Well if you're just going to swap parts, why didn't you buy a Ninja 650?" I simply like the Versys over the Ninja's looks. Plus, in the quest to have a unique versys 650, I'm wanting it to perform as good as it'll eventually look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
A unique quest , if you are willing to go the distance for the rebuild. Swapping Cam, valves will require engine mapping , which I am sure you have thought of. Anyway , good Luck and there some members here who have done similar job of building bikes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Or just buy a Ninja 650 engine, COMPLETE, w/ the computor, and change engines...!
dadsafrantic and Skypilot 69 like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Late model used ninja 650 engines range from about $700 to $1,000. The computers range from about $50 to $100. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...puter&_sacat=0
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Or just buy a Ninja 650 engine, COMPLETE, w/ the computor, and change engines...!
I was thinking about doing this as well actually. Would you (Or anyone else) know if the mounts are the same?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 03:07 AM

Is there much to gain at all? IIRC the Ninja engines had like 4 extra BHP, and the torque came up later in the rev range.
NunoMt likes this.

2015 Versys 650
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Is there much to gain at all? IIRC the Ninja engines had like 4 extra BHP, and the torque came up later in the rev range.
Precisely.

The versys engine is tunned for a better mid range.

With all the cost and trouble involved I would sell the versys and buy a used different bike

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Yeah, since it's effectively the same engine, you won't get something out of nothing - you can trade off a bit of the mid range for a bit of the top range, but I doubt the change will even be noticeable. We're talking single-digit percents I think. And it's a trade-off, not a general improvement. Without adding displacement or forced induction, there's only so much you can do.

2015 Versys 650
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
Without adding displacement or forced induction, there's only so much you can do.
I was considering various things, this whole time matter fact. One of the things I've had in mind is when the bike reaches 40k miles, rebuild the engine if needed, and start looking into a turbo system. Then I'd buy a newer engine with lower mileage, beef up the internals, and then put it in the Versys. Yes, I am aware it'll be very expensive and I may as well get a new bike, but it's a project I'm willing to work on. I'm also going to be buying a second bike, possibly a Grom.

There's several perks this would have for me: 1 More power. 2. The thrill of a "new" bike due to the power increase. 3. A more unique bike.
Yes I am aware of the downsides of a turbo, but when it comes to that, I'm not worried - I'll sort it all out.

I don't post that much here, but I'm in the process of having a very unique V-650. I'm sporting it out, which to some may be blasphemy for a dual sport / adv bike, but none-the-less, it's happening and coming well. (I can supply pictures after I clean/wax today. I'm a very proud owner though, I get several compliments whenever I go out, which is what's pushing me to just continue modding the bike.
onewizard likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidShadowsVers65 View Post
...(I can supply pictures after I clean/wax today. I'm a very proud owner though, I get several compliments whenever I go out, which is what's pushing me to just continue modding the bike.)....
Supply away...!

Love to see what you've done.
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Supply away...!

I'll have to wait till tomorrow... I got some new levers in yesterday, and it's currently raining where I live. I'll make a new post as well.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Supply away...!

Forget what I said, sun came out. https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ml#post1632435
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode