loud exhaust - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By Arion
  • 1 Post By Craigar
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
dadsafrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Hood, SF Bay Area Ca. USA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
loud exhaust

i finally have enough miles on the bike to go above 4k rpm. the bike is very nimble filtering in the sf bay area traffic. it's also the quietest bike i've ridden in 200k+ miles. what is going to make me smile loud exhaust. i'd like a life changing experience for the prius drivers. i hate to spend the money but lights and noise seem to be working for me. i typically don't use the db killers except once a few years back because i felt so bad for my neighbors every morning at 4:30.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dadsafrantic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
 
Fastoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ipoh.Perak.Malaysia
Posts: 6,799
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you don,t want to spend a lot on noisy exhaust , cut open and retrofit the OEM silencer - Cheapest way to increase the db, otherwise buy some cheap exhaust form China.

Make you pick -

https://www.ebay.com/b/Exhaust-Syste.../bn_7064115728
Fastoman is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,407
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Or just add a better horn - I use the WOLO Bad Boy from Harbor-Freight. (The pic is of a Stebel Nautilus that failed, and was replaced by the WOLO which looks identical!)


Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:39 PM
Member
 
Arion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX & Moosehead Lake, ME
Posts: 3,286
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I agree with fasteddie. Add a loud horn that you can use when the need arises, rather than a loud exhaust that is loud constantly. The result is generally irritated non-riders, plus hearing loss and headaches for the operator. Quality hearing aids are much more costly than after market pipes. I wonder how I know?

The adage that "loud pipes save lives" is a bogus justification perpetuated by riders who just want loud pipes because it makes them somehow cooler or more manly. Of course that's merely my opinion developed over some 50 plus years of riding both loud and relatively quiet machines. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Some assembly required.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Arion is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
Member
 
Craigar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Not everyone wants to listen to a sewing machine all day long. Myself included.
There are some options out there. I run Ixil on my bike. Gives the exhaust note a little deeper growl.
Nothing obnoxious or popping on decel. I still have the OEM in the garage if I ever want to change it back.
My T-rex Center Stand also fits with the aftermarket exhaust. Good luck with your search.
dadsafrantic likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
Craigar is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
dadsafrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Hood, SF Bay Area Ca. USA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Or just add a better horn - I use the WOLO Bad Boy from Harbor-Freight. (The pic is of a Stebel Nautilus that failed, and was replaced by the WOLO which looks identical!)

i have one in the garage going on this week or next. good stuff.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dadsafrantic is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
dadsafrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Hood, SF Bay Area Ca. USA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I agree with fasteddie. Add a loud horn that you can use when the need arises, rather than a loud exhaust that is loud constantly. The result is generally irritated non-riders, plus hearing loss and headaches for the operator. Quality hearing aids are much more costly than after market pipes. I wonder how I know?

The adage that "loud pipes save lives" is a bogus justification perpetuated by riders who just want loud pipes because it makes them somehow cooler or more manly. Of course that's merely my opinion developed over some 50 plus years of riding both loud and relatively quiet machines. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Some assembly required.
i prefer both. living in a state with legal lane splitting through what is typically sluggish commute traffic i will say without a doubt people do here a loud pipe. come to the bay area and follow a screaming eagle up the east shore freeway at 4:30 in the afternoon and you will be glad he's in front.

i agree with the saving lives part. riding safely keeps me alive. i have probably close to 240,000 bay area commute miles in the last 10 years. even riding safely hasn't kept me from bouncing between tech buses and blind cagers. but i'm still here and still riding. i'm hoping to get 80k+ miles in the next 4 years out of the 2018 versys i just bought. it has a great following and forum.

now all we need is a politics forum.....

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dadsafrantic is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
dadsafrantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Hood, SF Bay Area Ca. USA
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
Not everyone wants to listen to a sewing machine all day long. Myself included.
There are some options out there. I run Ixil on my bike. Gives the exhaust note a little deeper growl.
Nothing obnoxious or popping on decel. I still have the OEM in the garage if I ever want to change it back.
My T-rex Center Stand also fits with the aftermarket exhaust. Good luck with your search.
did you use any tuner device or just the exhaust? i ordered the ixil today. luckily the neighbor who's going to appreciate the 4:30 am wake up noise is a douche.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dadsafrantic is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Member
 
Craigar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
did you use any tuner device or just the exhaust? i ordered the ixil today. luckily the neighbor who's going to appreciate the 4:30 am wake up noise is a douche.
Your neighbor should be fine. No tuner installed on mine.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
Craigar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome