6Likes
  • 5 Post By Arion
  • 1 Post By Craigar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
loud exhaust

i finally have enough miles on the bike to go above 4k rpm. the bike is very nimble filtering in the sf bay area traffic. it's also the quietest bike i've ridden in 200k+ miles. what is going to make me smile loud exhaust. i'd like a life changing experience for the prius drivers. i hate to spend the money but lights and noise seem to be working for me. i typically don't use the db killers except once a few years back because i felt so bad for my neighbors every morning at 4:30.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you don,t want to spend a lot on noisy exhaust , cut open and retrofit the OEM silencer - Cheapest way to increase the db, otherwise buy some cheap exhaust form China.

Make you pick -

https://www.ebay.com/b/Exhaust-Syste.../bn_7064115728
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Or just add a better horn - I use the WOLO Bad Boy from Harbor-Freight. (The pic is of a Stebel Nautilus that failed, and was replaced by the WOLO which looks identical!)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I agree with fasteddie. Add a loud horn that you can use when the need arises, rather than a loud exhaust that is loud constantly. The result is generally irritated non-riders, plus hearing loss and headaches for the operator. Quality hearing aids are much more costly than after market pipes. I wonder how I know?

The adage that "loud pipes save lives" is a bogus justification perpetuated by riders who just want loud pipes because it makes them somehow cooler or more manly. Of course that's merely my opinion developed over some 50 plus years of riding both loud and relatively quiet machines. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Some assembly required.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Garage
Not everyone wants to listen to a sewing machine all day long. Myself included.
There are some options out there. I run Ixil on my bike. Gives the exhaust note a little deeper growl.
Nothing obnoxious or popping on decel. I still have the OEM in the garage if I ever want to change it back.
My T-rex Center Stand also fits with the aftermarket exhaust. Good luck with your search.
dadsafrantic likes this.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Or just add a better horn - I use the WOLO Bad Boy from Harbor-Freight. (The pic is of a Stebel Nautilus that failed, and was replaced by the WOLO which looks identical!)

i have one in the garage going on this week or next. good stuff.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I agree with fasteddie. Add a loud horn that you can use when the need arises, rather than a loud exhaust that is loud constantly. The result is generally irritated non-riders, plus hearing loss and headaches for the operator. Quality hearing aids are much more costly than after market pipes. I wonder how I know?

The adage that "loud pipes save lives" is a bogus justification perpetuated by riders who just want loud pipes because it makes them somehow cooler or more manly. Of course that's merely my opinion developed over some 50 plus years of riding both loud and relatively quiet machines. Your mileage may vary. Batteries not included. Some assembly required.
i prefer both. living in a state with legal lane splitting through what is typically sluggish commute traffic i will say without a doubt people do here a loud pipe. come to the bay area and follow a screaming eagle up the east shore freeway at 4:30 in the afternoon and you will be glad he's in front.

i agree with the saving lives part. riding safely keeps me alive. i have probably close to 240,000 bay area commute miles in the last 10 years. even riding safely hasn't kept me from bouncing between tech buses and blind cagers. but i'm still here and still riding. i'm hoping to get 80k+ miles in the next 4 years out of the 2018 versys i just bought. it has a great following and forum.

now all we need is a politics forum.....

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigar View Post
Not everyone wants to listen to a sewing machine all day long. Myself included.
There are some options out there. I run Ixil on my bike. Gives the exhaust note a little deeper growl.
Nothing obnoxious or popping on decel. I still have the OEM in the garage if I ever want to change it back.
My T-rex Center Stand also fits with the aftermarket exhaust. Good luck with your search.
did you use any tuner device or just the exhaust? i ordered the ixil today. luckily the neighbor who's going to appreciate the 4:30 am wake up noise is a douche.

Dadsafrantic

2018 versys 650 lt
0 miles- 8/15/19

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
did you use any tuner device or just the exhaust? i ordered the ixil today. luckily the neighbor who's going to appreciate the 4:30 am wake up noise is a douche.
Your neighbor should be fine. No tuner installed on mine.

It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in