Bar snake and mirrors - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bar snake and mirrors

I was wondering if anyone has tried the bar snake. If you have what type did you use? I am going to try this and need to know the bar size and if they are aluminum or steal. Any ideas? I am also going to pick up some crg mirrors. Anyone have these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Had never heard of it till your post. I googled it and it looks interesting. Would be nice to hear if it works or not on the V.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM

I had a Bar Snake in my 2000 Husky SM610 Motard. Single thumper. Got a good bit of vibe at the bars and this helped out. Worth the price. I don't remember the size I used tho'.

Thought about one for the Versys but with this double thumper I seem to get more vibes at the pegs and not the handlebars. If you do get one just remember to trim it if you have or might think you will ever want bar ends. Once the Snake is in..........it ain't movin'!

"Nothing bugs a handyman more than a stripper that works too slow" ~ Red Green

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Our stock bars are steel and it's a 7/8

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 PM

Garage
tough time

If the Snake Bar feeds through the handlebars..... your going to have a hard time! .... the ends of handlebars are welded closed (just threads for bar weights at ends)

----
Eric
2018 Versys 650
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM

I've put 14k miles on my 2011 (including a 19 day trip across the country and back) and haven't noticed enough handlebar vibrations to worry about. Save your money and farkle something else...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
I've put 14k miles on my 2011 (including a 19 day trip across the country and back) and haven't noticed enough handlebar vibrations to worry about. Save your money and farkle something else...
+1 except 24k on mine but no trip cross country and back. It doesn't have a vibes problem.

Bar snake would be tricky with the stock steel bars because they have a threaded insert at each end. I vaguely recall bar snake may make a liquid product for bars like that?

On my EX650 I used Manic Salamander bar end weights, and they really helped with the vibes there. They're heavier than stock and solid mounted instead of rubber mounted. The stock weights vibrate a lot more than the grips to, and can cause numbness if your hands are touching them when you ride. The Manic Salamander weights do not.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I've driven a few bikes that will make your hands go numb on a long ride but the Versys is not one of those bikes. While you can feel some vibration it is not a problem for me as far as comfort goes.

If you do feel you have excessive vibration be sure to do a throttle body vacuum synch. This will noticeably reduce vibration if it is off. Normally this should be done annually and immediately after a valve adjustment. As the valves wear the synch goes off.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 AM

Not so much noticeable on the V, but tire pressure will affect vibrations. And, it is not what I thougt. On my small 250 prior to my V, when my tire pressures would get low, I would get very pronounced vibrations. Took me a little while to figure this out, and only after I checked the pressures (they were low) and I pumped them up to spec did I realize the annoying vibrations had gone completely.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM

I used one on an XS650. I believe there's a better solution: fill the bars with lead shot. It's cheaper and works better.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Versys View Post
I used one on an XS650. I believe there's a better solution: fill the bars with lead shot. It's cheaper and works better.
Did that on my KLR's stock bars, helped a bit. When I put the Pro Tapers bars on I didn't fill them as the vibs weren't bad all.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:00 PM

Lead bird shot...

It worked big time on my rigid H-D chopper with drag bars. Gonna try it on the V. I'll post pics when I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 019.jpg (74.1 KB, 100 views)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
No need for any gimmicks and added weight with tapered aluminum handlebars which are also stronger and lighter... I don't even feel the need for bar-end weights with my Tag Metals tapered aluminum handlebars (with 7/8" to 1-1/8" fat-bar adapter such as Rox) and Zeta hand guards. No numbing vibrations to speak of, and mirror image is clear. Aluminum absorbs much more vibration than steel.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I never noticed vibration in the bars until a comparison ride on an FJR convinced me that I should replace the OEM weights.

I had removed the Zeta XC handguards because the position of the levers creates a change in the lever ergos that don't accommodate my XL+ hands. Never noticed vibration until FJR comparison, so I guess it's not severe. I have owned and ridden Brit parallel twins and singles so I know severe. OEM weights will likely be an improvement.

Shameless plug: see my post under For Trade in regards to swap for Zeta XC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode