2Likes
  • 1 Post By SidShadowsVers65
  • 1 Post By SidShadowsVers65

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
PC5/Autotune/Yoshimura

So I just bought a PC5/Autotuner, and I've had a yoshimura pipe for quite a while. When it comes to getting it all together, has anyone had any major hick-ups, or issues? I'm also getting the ECU Flashed when all this comes together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Oxygen Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidShadowsVers65 View Post
So I just bought a PC5/Autotuner, and I've had a yoshimura pipe for quite a while. When it comes to getting it all together, has anyone had any major hick-ups, or issues? I'm also getting the ECU Flashed when all this comes together.
Just curious if this is a 2011 UK Versys with oxygen sensor?
here is a link 38 posts;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ring-gone.html

Last edited by onewizard; 08-18-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Just curious if this is a 2011 UK Versys with oxygen sensor?
No, it's a US bike. When I took the stock exhaust off to put my yosh slip on on, it got rid of the sensors from what I saw. I haven't seen any other sensors going to the exhaust, but I do need to double check.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
No, it's a US bike. When I took the stock exhaust off to put my yosh slip on on, it got rid of the sensors from what I saw. I haven't seen any other sensors going to the exhaust, but I do need to double check.
Only in the UK , Canada / USA came in 2015 with closed loop. I copied a few posts related to this and FYI @Gigitt is really good at this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
If you are going to flash ecu - you probably dont need the PC5 as it wont do much.
flash will change the fuel maps for you.

it is kind of a waste of money to do both.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Any updates @SidShadowsVers65? I just put a Yoshimura TRC-D on my 2011 V650 also. I'm considering a PC5 eventually as well, so I'll be curious about your setup.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
Any updates @SidShadowsVers65? I just put a Yoshimura TRC-D on my 2011 V650 also. I'm considering a PC5 eventually as well, so I'll be curious about your setup.
Yes, a few actually:

I ended up having to return the auto-tuner. I didn't have anyone to weld the bung from it into my exhaust. I got an air filter from BMC (Installed incorrectly, of course. Damn super glue.) and put that in my air box, and it's been running perfectly since.

I got my bike flashed a bit after getting the PC5 installed. There's a difference, but I also realized that an ECU flash is a load better than a PC5 if you're not going to Auto-tune it. So if you're wanting more performance, go with a Flash. I have my RPM limit set to 11k, my throttle was made smoother as well. I'm going to go back to my tuner in a couple weeks and see if he can re-flash it to do some exhaust pops, because I'm not going to keep the bike stock in terms of fenders, because of what's below.

The person that did my flash only charged 200 bucks, so no complaints. Would I take the PC5 out of my bike and resell it? Actually, yes. An ECU flash can get that much more performance out of it. Gotta learn somehow, but it looks cool, so I'll keep it. \_(ツ)_/

I had the idea to use the bike for wheelies and stunting (Despite being an odd-ball), and it's working great until about a month ago when it slid out from under me. A bit did break, but nothing super vital, only 300 dollars in repairs. Fell on the left, screwed the generator cover, and the aftermarket tail light I had on got scraped up. But now I have a good excuse to turn it into a proper stunt bike, going to get a cage and upload those pictures when I get it all done. And yes, I WOULD fix all fenders and all... but I can't find any rear pieces (They're broke, left side is snapped in half), and I need to replace my front fenders, but I can't find good ones on ebay, and OEM is $200+ each side. I've taken my front highlight assembly apart, but still have the cage thing for the assembly to latch onto. I zip-tied my tach to it, and took off my turn signals and ziptied them to my forks (Ghetto as hell, but they'll be fine.)

But on other notes, the exhaust itself is fantastic. I love how loud it is, how it turns people's heads when they're not paying attention while driving. My friends have been saying my bike's too damn loud, but it's whatever. Since it's about to be a stunt bike (I will definitely post pictures) it doesn't matter. The only thing that worries me is that if the bike falls on the right side, it'll damage the carbon fiber. I'm looking at an IXIL (Hyperflow) exhaust next, and will probably either switch between the two, or keep the IXIL because they look bad ass and have baffles.

TLDR; Returned auto-tuner, PC5 =/= an ECU flash. (ECU flash better tho), I looped the bike, not replacing the broken fenders. Turning it into stunt bike. May switch to IXIL so they don't get damaged. Yoshimura = ****IN LOUD according to friends.
leftbrain99 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 07:57 PM

Garage
That is excellent information, my friend. And sorry about your mishap.

I'm kind of surprised no one would weld the bung in the exhaust for you - I'd think most muffler shops could do this, and certainly a machine shop. Anyway, I'm not sure if you have the TRC or the TRC-D. (The TRC is not available anymore from what I can see, but the TRC-D is basically a TRC with two pipes inside the canister and no baffles.) Yoshi claims that TRC-D is 3dB quieter than the TRC without the baffles, and 3dB is the least perceivable margin of volume difference, fwiw. And yes, it is damn loud. Louder than I expected, for sure. And certainly louder than the Yoshi R77 my friend has on his FZ-07. I think people just assume I'm an angry person when I ride by now.

So, I would like to tune down the popping a bit, In California, dyno tuning is a no-no, so I'm not really sure what my options are there, yet.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
That is excellent information, my friend. And sorry about your mishap.

I'm kind of surprised no one would weld the bung in the exhaust for you - I'd think most muffler shops could do this, and certainly a machine shop. Anyway, I'm not sure if you have the TRC or the TRC-D. (The TRC is not available anymore from what I can see, but the TRC-D is basically a TRC with two pipes inside the canister and no baffles.) Yoshi claims that TRC-D is 3dB quieter than the TRC without the baffles, and 3dB is the least perceivable margin of volume difference, fwiw. And yes, it is damn loud. Louder than I expected, for sure. And certainly louder than the Yoshi R77 my friend has on his FZ-07. I think people just assume I'm an angry person when I ride by now.

So, I would like to tune down the popping a bit, In California, dyno tuning is a no-no, so I'm not really sure what my options are there, yet.
yeah I have a TRC-D, the carbon version like I stated. Personally I would seek out some sort of ECU flash. Just request that they tune you to get better fuel mileage. I live in Kansas and our emissions aren't regulated that heavily. But if you do get a Power-commander, it's actually very easy. I was deathly afraid of destroying my bike, but I said screw it and it worked out. The best part of the ECU flash is that you can program your radiator fans to kick on sooner, which I did. Temps have been cooler sense, I'm sure you've noticed the Versys is a hot bike when sitting at lights.

All you gotta do is hook everything up correctly, then take the cable that has a USB end, plug it into a laptop with their software downloaded, hit a few buttons, and download the Yoshimura map off their website. Another option but I wouldn't really recommend, Just say screw it and leave it how it is... Iirc cali does require emissions testing, so you'll have to watch that. I may be thinking of Texas, but not sure.

And regarding the AT, I even went to some shops and they didn't want to do it. Which was a bummer, but I'm kind of glad I didn't get it. I like the bike how it runs (Or ran, before the incident).

Regarding the sound though, if you haven't, go into a tunnel and redline it. You'll watch as everyone will turn their head and be all sorts of confused as it sounds like a sport bike, but isn't.

Regarding MY bike though, I'm currently waiting for the parts, but the thing that sucks is I just changed my oil like 500 miles earlier. To be fair I messed up on the oil change and didn't take the old filter off, so it kinda helps(?). Like I did state, I took all the fenders off, and I may even sell what I can, there's a lot of good parts. But once the big winter hits, I'm for sure going to get a cage and everything. Don't want to risk another 300 dollar repair. I do need to figure out some sort of headlight hook up though.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Another option but I wouldn't really recommend, Just say screw it and leave it how it is... Iirc cali does require emissions testing, so you'll have to watch that. I may be thinking of Texas, but not sure.
California does not require emissions testing for motorcycles. But installing a non CARB-compliant exhaust is illegal and dyno tuning a vehicle that has had its emissions system tampered with (e.g., cat removed) is as well. In order to avoid liability, most shops that do any dyno work like this will require you to sign a statement that the bike is only used for closed-course racing and will film you trailering the bike in and out of their shop. Because of these hassles, most moto shops have gotten rid of their dynos.

Anyway, I might find some options eventually, or maybe I'll just take it to Nevada or Oregon one day. Also, I appreciate all the good info and good luck with your new bike project.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh okay, that kinda makes sense. I personally would see if you can just find a cheap ECU flasher, possibly a facebook group or something in your city. That's what I did to find the guy who would do it for 200 bucks. Try to get other people's word for it as well. If you go to his place and he has at least two bikes and one tore down for a customer (My guy had a ****ing Hayabusa torn apart.) I don't know how I'd feel about a proper dyno-tune, but tbh if you can trailer it in, just rent a U-haul to take it, that's what I would do.

Otherwise like I said the ECU flash. If they know what they're doing, you're fine. It's better than a 500-1000 dollar job *just* for a Versys 650.
leftbrain99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode