Consensus on best dual sport tire? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Consensus on best dual sport tire?

Guys & Gals- I am going to go ahead and be a little bit lazy. Instead of using Advanced Search for an hour I am going to ask a common tire question.

I am a sport rider that does a lot of twisty roads and also long trips (need mileage from my tire!). But I also like to do fire trails. What's the best tire that will give solid traction under sport riding, durable, but are better than sport-touring tire on gravel?

YEEEAH, THAAANKS!

Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM

There is no consensus, just a lot of opinions. Different people like different tires.

Agreed; search sucks.

George
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Have you considered a 90/10 or 80/20 tire in front and a sport touring tire in the back?

I think there are people here running that setup. Anyone?

I can only think of two adventure tires that come in the correct front size--others choices may involve mounting a skinny rear on the front. IIRC the original size choices include the Scorpion Trail and the new Tourance Next. Revzilla & Motorcycle Superstore still show that last one as unavailable in that size.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I ride packed dirt and loose gravel roads and I use Shinko 009 Ravens. I am not sure how fire trails differ from forest service roads.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 PM

The Avon Distanzia will give you great traction, dry and wet, and decent life on the FRONT... mixed results because of the supermoto compound on the back. Some people pair that with a Tourance or similar on the rear in a 150/70. Many people like the Conti Trails... I had one on the back, and didn't think it wore very well. I've tried the Ravens and liked them, but wasn't wowed by the gravel performance, although it's better than some, and they're REALLY cheap. Decent mileage, too.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I ride packed dirt and loose gravel roads and I use Shinko 009 Ravens. I am not sure how fire trails differ from forest service roads.
Sorry, that's what I meant- forest service roads.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 PM
MTS

I would just like to comment on you just starting a new thread in stead of trying to use adv. search.

I don't blame you a bit! Never have had the search on this web site ever work right!

Love the site, great fellow riders! Bad, bad, search!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 02-10-2013 at 07:23 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
The Pirelli Scorpion Trails are a popular choice for the riding you describe. They are stock tires on the Ducati Multistrada. Essentially they are sport tour tires with a deeper tread for graded dirt roads rather than off road tires with a less aggressive tread pattern. They have a very slight lower life expectancy than something like Micheline PR2s or 3s, at least in my case, but come in stock sizes 120/70 and 160/60. In my experience anything more knobby or in narrower and higher profile is going to harm on pavement grip and handling in the corners. The Pirellis are not quite as grippy as my previous Mich PR2s but you won't notice the difference below ~140% of posted limit on twisty roads and they are ~2x as grippy as sport tour tires on dirt. Since the Versys has other limitations, like suspension, that limit off road speed IMO they are a good choice. Any off road tire is going to be a trade off with on road handling but the Scorpions balance this pretty well for the Versys. Pirelli advertise them as a 95% street/5% dirt tire which is similar to the Versys mission.

Last edited by twowheels; 02-11-2013 at 02:50 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 AM

I used the Scorp Trail back and Pirelli MT60 front on my trans Lab trip last summer. Managed to keep the bike upright in some pretty gnarly stuff. Good times
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM

yea the problem is with our front wheel, you cant get a good round front tire of any grit to fit on it... you always have to supplement with different sizes and those take away from the character of the bike.

If you are just riding gravel and hard pack, use the avons or pirelli scorp trails, air them down to 20, and let it rip.

1997 KLR 650
2011 Halle-friggin-leuya Versys

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgoods View Post
Guys & Gals- I am going to go ahead and be a little bit lazy. Instead of using Advanced Search for an hour I am going to ask a common tire question.

I am a sport rider that does a lot of twisty roads and also long trips (need mileage from my tire!). But I also like to do fire trails. What's the best tire that will give solid traction under sport riding, durable, but are better than sport-touring tire on gravel?

YEEEAH, THAAANKS!
Here's what I run - Metzler Tourance, a 130/80 rear on the front and a 150/70 rear at the rear. Gary in South America said he was getting 36,000 miles on his 130/80. SO FAR I've got 8,000 on the front (looks like "new", so I have no reason to NOT believe his numbers) and 9,000 miles on the rear, which still has .190" tread left in the middle compared to .360" on a new 150/70. Check threads by "jdrocks" for his thoughts.

In my experience they work fine in 'moderately' aggressive street riding, and on dirt roads.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07586.jpg (81.2 KB, 643 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07589.jpg (84.4 KB, 734 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07590.jpg (77.8 KB, 597 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will try the Pirelli Scorpion Trail once my current tires run out.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The Pirellis are not quite as grippy as my previous Mich PR2s but you won't notice the difference below ~140% of posted limit on twisty roads and they are ~2x as grippy as sport tour tires on dirt.
When you say 140% what do you mean? For example if a turn is 30mph, do you mean 42mph (30 * 1.4) or 72mph (30 *2.4).

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM

Another tire I haven't really seen mentioned which I honestly quite liked on my V-strom was the Conti Trail Attacks.. on a Vstrom 1000 I was getting close to 10k miles out of a rear.. They gripped well and were what I felt a very good tire. They will be on my Versys very soon.

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM

I'm considering the Dunlop D616...supposed to be super grippy in the wet, on dry and offer decent off-road capabilities (I suspect they are about 80% road 20% off-road)

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
I'm considering the Dunlop D616...supposed to be super grippy in the wet, on dry and offer decent off-road capabilities (I suspect they are about 80% road 20% off-road)

I haven't seen the D616 available in our size rear tire at any of my regular sources.. You have started me looking at a possible D607 Rear and a D616 front however. The price would be about $100 less than a set of Conti's..

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:31 AM

I think the D607 has been discontinued for a while...
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
I think the D607 has been discontinued for a while...
Still plenty available locally for me (US).. Plus http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...ycle-Tire/d607 has 5+ in stock.. What rear would you run with a 616 front?

09 Lime Versys
13' DL650 Vstrom
06 (Gold) Goldwing IV
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:46 AM

Those are 150 tires the versys is 160 no?

Honestly I don't know I thought at first that the D616 were available in our sizes but since they are not I might just try these tires on my MT-01 instead and stick to Heidenau K73s. I feared they would evaporate quickly but 3-4000km later the front tire is like new and rear tire probably at 60%. I haven't ridden it during hot days though...but they are just so awesome I dont mind putting 2 sets per year for the extra grip they provide in delicate situations...
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 PM

Re: Consensus on best dual sport tire?

I rode 4k miles on the scorpion trails about 90/10 before I sold the bike. I could not be happier. The on road performance was excellent. Dirt roads and trails were pretty good too. I would not do single trails or gnarly stuff on the versys anyway. Doesnt matter what tires you put in it. Its not an off road bike.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode