TPMS - a useful gadget to monitor type pressure - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
TPMS - a useful gadget to monitor type pressure

Hello Friends,

A year back I had installed a TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system) on my motorcycle. I have found it quite useful - in real-time keep a watch over tyre pressure.

I prefer a dedicated console unit (connected to the tyre sensors). Few options have better locking mechanisms (or you find a hack!) if you feel theft of that unit.

There are few options wherein the tyre sensors would transmit data to a Bluetooth connected phone - but I find that inconvenient because of the dependency on phone.

I have made a detailed video here:

hope you like it.

regards,
Pranav
Jmason, quexpress, Fly-Sig and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the video. I had thought about those, especially because my Honda is hard to get the pressure gauge on, and of course you sometimes have to move the bike to get the tire in the right place to get at it. I had been looking at one unit where they had a great price for 4 sensors and the pressure was read on a key fob. Thought that would be handy to put 2 each on both my bikes to check tire pressures easily in the morning. Those did require you move the wheel a little to get them to read. Do yours need that?

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Wireless TPMS System

Thanks for the video!
This is quite a coincidence for me. I installed the same unit (from Aliexpress) yesterday.
I will test it on the road tomorrow.
pcpranav likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Those did require you move the wheel a little to get them to read. Do yours need that?
I'm using the same TPMS as OP:
The sensors are activated by wheel motion, so the pressures will be updated only after you start riding. When inspecting the bike in the morning, the LCD will show you the last recorded yesterday's pressures.

Still, a very useful farkle, I've since installed it on both my bikes.
quexpress and pcpranav like this.

2015 Versys 650
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:19 AM

Garage
I've always wondered if those tyre pressure sensor caps stay air tight over time. Because that thing is always letting air pass through the air valve.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 12:00 PM

Garage
I saw a warning on one of the many TPMS pages on amazon that said not to use these with rubber valve stems. does anyone know what this means and why it is an issue? It seems like there is always air pressure in the valve stem regardless of whether or not the TPMS is [email protected]!?!?!?!

Quote:
These type of outer TPMS is not recommended for rubber stems. They will increase the pressure in the stems, so can cause the failure of the stems. You can use the inner tire type, such as Sykik SRTP400

'09 Versys
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I saw a warning on one of the many TPMS pages on amazon that said not to use these with rubber valve stems. does anyone know what this means and why it is an issue? It seems like there is always air pressure in the valve stem regardless of whether or not the TPMS is [email protected]!?!?!?!
I've heard people comment on the mass of the sensor on the rubber valve during high speeds. That said, I've heard of people using them without issue. Not sure on the facts.

--------------------------------
2008 Kawasaki Versys 650

Barkbuster Storm Guards
SW Motech Riser Block
Givi D405ST Windscreen
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:03 PM

Garage
I purchased a TPMS with an app that went to my phone. It was great for about a week, then it stopped working.
Randy

Do yourself a favor, find America One News Network (OANN) on your cable carrier. 208 on Uverse. News without the Network BS or bias
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Big_Mac_ View Post
I'm using the same TPMS as OP:
The sensors are activated by wheel motion, so the pressures will be updated only after you start riding. When inspecting the bike in the morning, the LCD will show you the last recorded yesterday's pressures.

Still, a very useful farkle, I've since installed it on both my bikes.
yes, you answered it correctly. The bike needs to be moved a bit to get the latest reading. Instead of really riding, I have just pushed few meters and got the reading right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinj View Post
I've always wondered if those tyre pressure sensor caps stay air tight over time. Because that thing is always letting air pass through the air valve.
The sensor caps just stay tight, no leakage. Just secure it tight, no need to really tighten it hard. I never had any leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ididar View Post
I've heard people comment on the mass of the sensor on the rubber valve during high speeds. That said, I've heard of people using them without issue. Not sure on the facts.
I have used sensor this on very hot summer ride - western India summer if you know! On the handlebar console unit, I could easily see the PSI and Temp increasing in both tyres. Since the sensor kept alarming, later I realized and had to increase the "threshold" of the HI value so that it didnt trigger the alarm in these conditions. It was very hot ride, 40-43 Deg Cel, for about 400 KMs, and next day same return journey. Ofcourse I had to take frequent breaks to cool myself - drink water, sprinkle water on jacket & wet the balaclava, have some juice - sugarcane juice is natural energy booster!. The sensors were working just fine.

A year back, a friend of mine borrowed my TPMS kit on his Versys for a trip to Ladakh (Himalayan region in North India). The trip had ups and downs of temperatures, bit rains, very harsh & rugged terrains, lots of off-roads, the unit performed perfectly and helped him to know the tyre health.

So, its working just fine :-)
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
90' Valve stems

Just looked closer, good idea however it won't work for my 90' valve stems.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:11 PM

Looks like it will fit fine, the screw-on sensor isn't that big. Here it is compared to an ordinary valve cap. You'd need around 4 millimeters of extra radius between the edge of your valve cap and the wheel, looks like you've got that.

I can also attest that there's no problem with air leaking, nor with using it on stock Versys valves. I've ridden in pouring rain, summer heat (not Indian heat, but still), etc. Haven't tried it in freezing temperatures yet, not sure if I will Hasn't failed me yet.

The battery in the LCD unit lasts for around 2-3 months with my usage, I recharge it while riding via a micro-USB charger. The batteries in the valve sensors have yet to run out (according to the retailer, they should last roughly a season of riding).

I've begun trusting those sensors enough to not take an analog pressure gauge with me on my last 3000+ km Eurotrip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190814_220215.jpg (22.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190814_221532.jpg (38.4 KB, 13 views)

2015 Versys 650

Last edited by _Big_Mac_; 08-14-2019 at 03:18 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 04:31 PM

Has anyone used a system with the sensors inside the wheel the way they are on automobiles?

https://sykik.com/collections/wirele...essure-monitor
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Just looked closer, good idea however it won't work for my 90' valve stems.
Why not??? As previously mentioned, the sensors are very light. IMHO it should not be a problem.

I just shuffle slower.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I can testify that it's a bad idea to put them on rubber valves. I used to have them and because of the extra weight it destroyed the valve and got a flat tire. Luckily it happened gradually and not while riding. That would have been dangerous.
Since then I switched to metal valves and never had a problem again.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Why not??? As previously mentioned, the sensors are very light. IMHO it should not be a problem.
It may be off center and only weigh a fraction of a ounce, but at right angles , I don't want to take a chance. These 90' are CNC machined from China, just remember a straight valve stem the tire pressure sensor is pulling or pushing in the same direction using the threads of the valve stem, each bump will cause a reaction. With the 90' stems I am concerned about tire balance and metal fatigue .
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
...With the 90' stems I am concerned about tire balance and metal fatigue....
W/ the ones you showed in your pic - I would NOT be concerned about EITHER issue.

I run similar ones on both my V650s.
quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

China 60 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
W/ the ones you showed in your pic - I would NOT be concerned about EITHER issue.

I run similar ones on both my V650s.
Yup , getting lazy, last 2 times I let more air out of the tires just checking the pressure, I am pretty sure they were within a pound before I got screwing around, plus my bicycle pump has a quick / lever connect so it also lets some air out.Wasn't starting the compressor for 4 pounds of air. So ordered the https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...21072e0eMyGa4S
quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-19-2019 at 06:05 PM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 PM

Cool

Quote:
Yup , getting lazy, last 2 times I let more air out of the tires just checking the pressure, I am pretty sure they were within a pound before I got screwing around, plus my bicycle pump has a quick / lever connect so it also lets some air out.Wasn't starting the compressor for 4 pounds of air. So ordered the https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305...21072e0eMyGa4S
I like to know my tire pressure as I'm riding but am much more concerned about knowing if one of my tires has a leak.
A few years ago, during a ride through heavy winds, I had a nail in my rear tire. The bike felt wobbly but I figured it was caused by the heavy winds and ignored it.
A little later, I hit a bump and ... yep ... rear rim dented.
It cost me a rim (2011 Ninja 650).
This cheap TPMS gives me peace of mind while riding. IMHO it's very useful.

I just shuffle slower.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

This TPMS pack comes with anti-theft nuts (like washers) and a small wrench. The anti-theft needs to first screwed over the valve, then screw the sensor; now the nut needs to be screwed-up tight (use that wrench) against the sensor. Its kinda low-level anti-theft, with bare hands it maybe difficult to remove the sensor. However, such wrench is easily available for one to take off the sensors and even remove the Console from handlebar.
Initially, I did fit as per books - i.e. put those anti-theft nuts. But when going for air filling, one needs to carry that wrench and loosen down the nut first, then unscrew the sensor! Its such a pain. Lateron I just removed those "anti-theft" nuts, and directly installed the sensors. Now its easy to get the air filled at the bunk, but the straight valve still remains an issue at most places because of the space/angle limitation. Maybe later I will get a "L" angled valve.

Another thing, the air pressure meter at many bunks is not very accurate. So once air is filled, I adjust the pressure by using the sensor - remove and re-check way. This TPMS is near to accurate!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:56 AM

Ah yes, I ditched the anti-theft washers after like the third time I had to undo them at a gas station. Not worth the trouble, not likely that someone would actually:
1) notice the sensors
2) figure out what they're for
3) decide that the $40-when-new farkle is worth stealing

And even if, I'd just be back to manual pressure checks. Not like I'd be grounded.
onewizard likes this.

2015 Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode