Itís that thread again; 46t Rear sprocket or bust? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 1 Post By leftbrain99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Question Itís that thread again; 46t Rear sprocket or bust?

Hello fellow riders!

Yes, I had to make my own thread about this issue, as it’s driving me absolutely mad.

Everyone talks about swapping the rear sprocket for a 44, or a 43, or even a 45, and they all cite that it’s too jumpy with acceleration as the reason and the fact that (I presume) they’re all old fogeys who like to ride slow.

So my problem is, while I agree the stock OEM sprocket has a rather stupid power band on the highway and on the streets (it’s either 1st gear or 6th gear), I absolutely LOVE the whippy acceleration it has. I don’t speed, but living in LA, I find myself rapidly accelerating and decelerating daily and often from my commutes. SO that has led me to considering changing to a 45 as a “best of both worlds”. But surprisingly, I can’t find much info on this sprocket size. I understand it loses ~2% loss in acceleration, so I can deal with that. I think it might be better over stock in terms of at least separating the power band just a tiny bit..

MY QUESTION: Who here likes to ride it fast? Which sprocket do you use, and what made you pick that one?

Thanks, ya’ll!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneranger650 View Post
...MY QUESTION: Who here likes to ride it fast? Which sprocket do you use, and what made you pick that one?...
ME!

OEM 15/46 sprockets (for 165,000 miles so far......).

WHY? Because that gearing gives me GREAT latitude in what I want to do, and am ABLE to do.

dddd likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've been considering going to 47t or even 48t, but for now I'm going to focus on all my other farkles (including BoosterPlug) and revisit gearing afterwards

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkurant View Post
I've been considering going to 47t or even 48t, but for now I'm going to focus on all my other farkles (including BoosterPlug) and revisit gearing afterwards
Instead of the Booster Plug, the very best and most complete performance boost comes from the Shoodaben ECU flash. Many Gen 3 owners on the forum have gone this way with amazing results. I'm one of them! Feels like more power everywhere in the powerband.

https://sites.google.com/site/shooda...-650-ecu-flash
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
So my problem is, while I agree the stock OEM sprocket has a rather stupid power band on the highway and on the streets (itís either 1st gear or 6th gear), I absolutely LOVE the whippy acceleration it has. I donít speed, but living in LA, I find myself rapidly accelerating and decelerating daily and often from my commutes. SO that has led me to considering changing to a 45 as a ďbest of both worldsĒ. But surprisingly, I canít find much info on this sprocket size. I understand it loses ~2% loss in acceleration, so I can deal with that. I think it might be better over stock in terms of at least separating the power band just a tiny bit..
@loneranger650, I see you didn't get very much in the way of valuable responses for whatever reason, but I'm interested in this as well. Did you end up trying a 45T in the rear and, if so, how did it work out for you?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
@loneranger650, I see you didn't get very much in the way of valuable responses for whatever reason, but I'm interested in this as well. Did you end up trying a 45T in the rear and, if so, how did it work out for you?
It's generally not recommended to have one sprocket tooth count to be divisible by the other. 45 divisible by 15. Going to a 44 would be a better idea, at least for chain and sprocket wear.

A pretty good sprocket selector tool here:

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

Enter bike on top. Enter your desired sprocket sisez under current and or custom. Lots of good info. The chart on the bottom left shows number of chain revolutions between same tooth/link contacts, among other things. The higher these results are, the better chain wear you will have.

FWIW, I've put about 56k miles on my '15 and do not intend to stray from the stock ratio.

The best solution for jerkiness, that will actually work quite nicely, is the ECU re-flash from Shoodaben.

And yes, I ride the Versys quite briskly. I'm on my 13th rear tire, mostly quality sport touring tires, Angel GT, RSIII, Michelin PR4, T-31, T-023 and three short lived Shinko 705s(about 3500 miles). Favorites are RSIII and T-31.
leftbrain99 likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 10-29-2019 at 04:14 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
The best solution for jerkiness, that will actually work quite nicely, is the ECU re-flash from Shoodaben.
I'm on a Gen2, so the Shoodaben re-flash is not an option for me. I do experience jerkiness in low gears riding around the city, but those who know say that the Gen3 experiences this to a much greater degree and that the benefits of a re-flash won't be realized on the Gen1 and Gen2 bikes.

I'm dealing with a lot of hills in SF too, so that may exacerbate the issue for me, as I am constantly switching between 1st and 2nd while lane-splitting in traffic to and from work. Also, it's especially noticeable when I have a passenger knocking helmets with me.

I'm also considering Booster Plugs as that seems to lessen the jerkiness in lower gears. But since I'm approaching time for a new chain, I am wondering if anyone has benefited from reducing torque a tad with a smaller rear sprocket.
SteveJ likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
I'm on a Gen2, so the Shoodaben re-flash is not an option for me. I do experience jerkiness in low gears riding around the city, but those who know say that the Gen3 experiences this to a much greater degree and that the benefits of a re-flash won't be realized on the Gen1 and Gen2 bikes.
That's pretty much what I've read and heard also.

Keeping throttle play and drive chain slack at minimum (not too tight) can help mellow things. Also, though I'm not sure about availability, a throttle ramping throttle tube can help. You could even make one. It will give less throttle cable pull in the smaller open stages. Homemade is possible with a Dremel disc to carve away at the cable groove to make a smaller radius in the low throttle position, ramping up toward the original radius. It would be interesting to try.

Good luck.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
...FWIW, I've put about 56k miles on my '15 and do not intend to stray from the stock ratio....
I have OVER 167,000 miles among three V650s, ALL w/ stock gearing - 15/46 and see NO reason to change.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quick update;

I swapped the rear sprocket to an aluminum 43 and it felt great! I lost what I felt like was just a tiny bit too much "mid-end", and ended up going back to the 45 because it turns out I actually like that extra "oomph" when lane-splitting. The 43 was so amazing for economy and high-end feel. I'm sure it would be perfect for people who commute 20+ miles a day, but it's just not versatile for my city riding in LA.

Unrelated note: I swapped a new 45 on the rear along with a new chain, and my mechanic failed to install that chain correctly.

One small snap in my chain and two months of waiting later, and I was out $5000 in damages to my crank, crank case, pistons, rods, bearings, gaskets, and front sprocket!

Just kidding, I made my POS mechanic pay for the damages. But hey, now I have a brand new versys engine.

Lesson learned? Keep the rear sprocket OEM. (or work with a competent mechanic)

https://imgur.com/a/Vso0FPv

Last edited by loneranger650; 11-21-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: pictar
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Quick update;

I swapped the rear sprocket to an aluminum 43 and it felt great! I lost what I felt like was just a tiny bit too much "mid-end", and ended up going back to the 45 because it turns out I actually like that extra "oomph" when lane-splitting. The 43 was so amazing for economy and high-end feel. I'm sure it would be perfect for people who commute 20+ miles a day, but it's just not versatile for my city riding in LA.

Unrelated note: I swapped a new 45 on the rear along with a new chain, and my mechanic failed to install that chain correctly.

One small snap in my chain and two months of waiting later, and I was out $5000 in damages to my crank, crank case, pistons, rods, bearings, gaskets, and front sprocket!

Just kidding, I made my POS mechanic pay for the damages. But hey, now I have a brand new versys engine.

Lesson learned? Keep the rear sprocket OEM. (or work with a competent mechanic)

https://imgur.com/a/Vso0FPv
Re: chain failure. Was this a clip master link or poor install of a rivet or ?? ? Two months down time really does suck.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM

Garage
I don't exactly poke down the road cruiser style. Acceleration is my friend.

I have the stock rear sprocket but added one tooth (16) to the countershaft (front) sprocket. Can still wheelie if desired.

I found first and second gears a bit short with the stock setup , plus it's a bit easier on the chain with a slightly larger front sprocket. Well, that's what the boffins say.

Observations on life and motorcycling, short stories and photos, with no annoying political or religious rhetoric
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
...Well, that's what the boffins say....
I used to fly to "boffin Island" back in my RCAF days....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode