• 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By leftbrain99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
STS Smart Brake Module

Just recently got one of these (https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/) in the mail.

Has anyone else installed one? Where did you mount it? According to the manufacturer, it needs to be mounted level to the ground, but most of the space under the seat of my '17 Versys has quite the slant to it, so I'm not sure how best to install the thing.

I did find a video of someone installing a smart turn signal module from the same company in a Z650, which they mounted on top of the battery. Seems like an odd choice to me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Lower Fork Clamp might be a ideal choice for turn signal sensor mounting. IMHO
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightborne View Post
Just recently got one of these (https://safer-turn.com/smart-brake-module/) in the mail.

Has anyone else installed one? Where did you mount it? According to the manufacturer, it needs to be mounted level to the ground, but most of the space under the seat of my '17 Versys has quite the slant to it, so I'm not sure how best to install the thing.

I did find a video of someone installing a smart turn signal module from the same company in a Z650, which they mounted on top of the battery. Seems like an odd choice to me though.
Are you installing a smart brake module or a smart turn signal module?

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Are you installing a smart brake module or a smart turn signal module?
I'm installing the brake module.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Mine works great but is VERY sensitive to being exactly level. The turn signal module is the same.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 AM

Red face

Quote:

On my 2015 Versys 650, I have installed a GearBrake (GB-1) Smart Brake Light Module which also needs to be level.

In order to set it up level to the ground, I flipped it sideways and used velcro to attach it to the black plastic panel on the right side of the bike (under the seat a bit to the rear of the battery).

HTH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gearbrake001.jpg (47.8 KB, 19 views)

I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Smart Brake

Quote:
On my 2015 Versys 650, I have installed a GearBrake (GB-1) Smart Brake Light Module which also needs to be level.

In order to set it up level to the ground, I flipped it sideways and used velcro to attach it to the black plastic panel on the right side of the bike (under the seat a bit to the rear of the battery).

HTH
Just curious of the cost and the source. I have alot of extra lighting and have the Admore mini light bar and generally I use either front or rear lightly while engine braking, I also have a homemade brake flasher that pulses the brake light the first 3 seconds before going solid. If the price was right, this appears attractive , as from my perspective as a car and service truck driver, very easy to check your mirrors and miss someone on a bike slowing down, very easy not to notice the brake light getting brighter.
90% of my braking I know what is behind me and how close, it is the 10% that this would be handy. Everyone knows , in a accident the bike rider is going to come out the worst.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Just curious of the cost and the source. I have alot of extra lighting and have the Admore mini light bar and generally I use either front or rear lightly while engine braking, I also have a homemade brake flasher that pulses the brake light the first 3 seconds before going solid. If the price was right, this appears attractive , as from my perspective as a car and service truck driver, very easy to check your mirrors and miss someone on a bike slowing down, very easy not to notice the brake light getting brighter.
90% of my braking I know what is behind me and how close, it is the 10% that this would be handy. Everyone knows , in a accident the bike rider is going to come out the worst.
I purchased it on Amazon.ca for $72.00 in December 2018. The price is now raised but it is probably available on the net for less.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for my topcase only. When I slow down without braking, it flashes approximately 5 times and then shuts OFF. When I brake, it flashes approximately 5 or 6 times and stays ON.

Note: In addition to the above, my Versys has a Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca...v0a_pi2_wl.htm
and Hyper-Lites flashing LED brake lights. https://hyperlites.com/stdsf.html/

I was once lightly nudged on the rear of my Versys by a distracted soccer mom in a SUV. That is what motivated me to set up my brake lights as explained above. It's QUITE conspicuous.
onewizard likes this.

I just shuffle slower.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I purchased it on Amazon.ca for $72.00 in December 2018. The price is now raised but it is probably available on the net for less.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for my topcase only. When I slow down without braking, it flashes approximately 5 times and then shuts OFF. When I brake, it flashes approximately 5 or 6 times and stays ON.

Note: In addition to the above, my Versys has a Blaster-X Integrated LED Tail Light https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca...v0a_pi2_wl.htm
and Hyper-Lites flashing LED brake lights. https://hyperlites.com/stdsf.html/

I was once lightly nudged on the rear of my Versys by a distracted soccer mom in a SUV. That is what motivated me to set up my brake lights as explained above. It's QUITE conspicuous.
Just ordered it direct $60 Canadian including shipping.
quexpress likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

HTH
Hmm. That would almost work, but the STS module has to be either logo side up (solid brake light when slowing) or logo down (flashing brake light), so I couldn't mount it sideways like that.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Hmm. That would almost work, but the STS module has to be either logo side up (solid brake light when slowing) or logo down (flashing brake light), so I couldn't mount it sideways like that.
Did you ask them? You have nothing to lose...

I just shuffle slower.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 04:19 PM

Red face

Quote:

If you glance at the attached pic, which is a screen capture taken from the STS web site,
you'll see that their module is mounted sideways.

I would certainly not hesitate to try it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sts_module001.jpg (31.5 KB, 14 views)

I just shuffle slower.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Gear Brake Light Module / My Turn to be Lazy

The instructions sent with this module resemble the size they are printed on. Since I have numerous added devices including a brake flasher my son made, where I can select the duration and length of flashes , I have very little real-estate left and wish to know the orientation of mounting this flasher .
I am also using the newly explained mention method since I am not quoting but wish to acknowledge @quexpress
quexpress likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:57 PM

Garage
I just received my STS Smart Brake Module as well. Might get around to installing it this weekend.

As for the GearBrake device @quexpress mentioned, I just looked it up and they seem to be dumping their inventory at very low prices - business is liquidating, perhaps? $35 for the flashing module and only $10 for the non-flashing one. I don't have this so I can't speak to its quality, and don't expect a warranty if the company might indeed be going out of business, but that's cheap. https://gearbrake.com/collections/shop
onewizard and quexpress like this.

Last edited by leftbrain99; 08-07-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

3rd Brake light

Just bought a led brake display for a trailer,intending to couple that with my Gear Brake module as I don't feel like modifying my other add ons.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ht/A-p8640591e

Last edited by onewizard; 08-13-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode