Kaoko Throttle Lock - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Kaoko Throttle Lock

Has anyone purchased and installed the Kaoko Throttle lock? I am thinking about adding it to my bike as I am taking a 6 hour trip coming up soon? I have a 2017 V650 LT with the stock handguards.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerharz14 View Post
Has anyone purchased and installed the Kaoko Throttle lock? I am thinking about adding it to my bike as I am taking a 6 hour trip coming up soon? I have a 2017 V650 LT with the stock handguards.

Thanks!
I have this:
https://www.jpcycles.com/product/754...4aAnoBEALw_wcB

it works really well, and takes a minute to install
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:53 PM

I have one and its massively overpriced for what it is, but there are instances where I am glad its there.

I have Barkbuster handguards and needed to massage some of the metal on the bar-end side of the handguard arm so it was flush with the Kaoko. This was because of I have my handlebars rotated rearward somewhat, so the barkbusters are rotated off of the angle anticipated when designing the throttle lock. So install was longer than expected but fully functional in the end.

Using the thing takes some getting used to, you have to kinda pre-rotate it into position of slight tension with pinky finger, then roll off throttle a bit, grab the Kaoko knob and throttle together and roll on throttle to engage enough tension to hold the throttle steady. Once it is engaged with tension you can easily adjust the Kaoko knob for more or less tension, to allow you to make micro throttle adjustments as needed to compensate for up/downhill speed changes. You will develop your own technique in the first day of using it that part is easy

I only REALLY appreciate it on rides where im on the bike many long days in a row on straight roads and some hand fatigue sets in. Its nice on shorter days while on the interstate sometimes, but for the price of $100+ you really gotta want/need it to justify that price. For me one 6-hr day trip wouldnt be enough to need it, I got it for those 10-14 day 5000 mile trips, but everyones fatigue/price threshold is different

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate both of your input. I notice my hand going numb after about an hour so I figured it would be worth it just to have it. Have you had any problems with it disengaging while you are riding or is it pretty sturdy even with vibrations?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 01:12 PM

The engine vibrations dont make it disengage by itself if thats what you mean, you can really crank down on the Kaoko knob to create some serious tension on the throttle grip. Ive never had it release when I wasnt expecting it

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:52 PM

I have it with the stock hand guards. Its one of the best things Ive added, makes long time rising so much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:28 PM

I've got it this year as I'm preparing for longer trips.

Like you I got numb hand about 1hour in to the trip. This is more from my sore back/neck than from vibration, but been able to take the hand of the throttle for a minute in a longer trip helps a lot.

I have it with the OEM hand guarda. No problem. Money well spend.

Enviado do meu G3221 atravs do Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
I have this:

I have made 2 of these at home. Used a nylon cutting board and hacksaw, drill, a couple of bolts. Same principal.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:45 AM

Garage
I should receive an Atlas throttle lock in the mail today, and will test it this weekend. I'll post back and let you know how that works (though it's costs a lot of money for what it seems to be)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 PM

Garage
Nope, can't test it. Some idiot at amazon sent me the wrong throttle lock... And I can't install it because of the heated grips connector...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

I received it in the mail yesterday, install was a breeze. The install took about 5 minutes with about 5 minutes of reading the instructions before hand. It is pretty easy to "lock" and very easy to unlock.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
I have this:

I have this, which is similar. It was worked well for the last years.

Simplicity is elegant.

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode