shims under rear windscreen bracket - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
shims under rear windscreen bracket

i have a 2018 versys650abs and am a newb (dang newbs) even worse a newb on a budget
i have lowered my bike with a trex lowering link and raised the front forks as well per other threads recommendations .

i also raised the stock windscreen up to where the topmost slider bolts are above the the bracket proper and the thumbscrew is at max height..all this to try to decrease the wind noise and buffeting at highway speeds ...the mod helped a bit and i didnt get a mad oscillation on the top of screen that i had anticipated.............

(yes there is a question) i want to loosen the bolts on the bracket to frame connection (4) and add a shim or washers to the rearmost mounting point to pitch the windscreen forward (away from my face more vertical like) maybe 1/4 inch to 1/2 in ...

Has anyone done this before and what was the result? (or am i the only nutjob that dicks with things till they break? (dont answer that i already know)

i do have my eye on a Vstream windscreen but dont wanna spend the cash right now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg national_cycle_vstream_tall_screen_clear_vers_ys_kle6501000_750x750.jpg (31.0 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:45 AM

Have you thought of a Laminar Lip? They're a little pricey but...

And I do believe you can find something similar on Amazon/Ebay for a lot cheaper.

Here's a Puig at Revzilla for a little cheaper:

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:57 AM

I used onna these on my '15 with a Madstadt shield. I mounted up side down for better effect. It quieted down noise and buffeting, a lot. No drilling required. Not sure how strong the mount is but I've run over a ton(100mph) and have run all day at 75 or 80 and it's still there. Also, quite frugal, about $25 from Amazon.

E bay, Amazon, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/XX-eCommerce-...s%2C187&sr=8-9

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i have seen those clip on style but wasnt sure how strong a single point of contact would be despite the brand name recognition...also wasn't sure how gimmicky it was ...at that price i will try it out
thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchunks View Post
i have seen those clip on style but wasnt sure how strong a single point of contact would be despite the brand name recognition...also wasn't sure how gimmicky it was ...at that price i will try it out
thanks
I have one on my 2009 Versys with an aftermarket screen. It helps remove the buffeting, so much so that I ride most of the time with my face shield up. It does rattle a bit when on gravel roads, but it hasn't broken anything yet. I actually have it installed "upside down". That diverts the airflow enough so I don't have an extre 3 - 4 inches of plexiglass in my view.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CheesmanRsvr2019.jpg (106.6 KB, 40 views)

'09 Versys
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Watch your OEM windshield brackets - I broke mine several times riding gravel in AZ w/ a larger 'shield on the bike, then welded it/ painted it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05810copy.jpg (369.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05811copy.jpg (387.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05812copy.jpg (345.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05813copy.jpg (261.6 KB, 5 views)
onewizard likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode