• 1 Post By jpd
  • 2 Post By jaaklucas
  • 2 Post By Alpha One Nine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Does any one use Halogen Fog Lights?

Greetings,

I came across a pair of virtually new 8-10 year old small Hella fog lights in my garage and I'm thinking about using them with my 2015 650.
They came with 55W H3 bulbs and the original plan is to replace the halogen bulbs with LED emitters but after a little research it sounds like any LEDs small enough to fit into these little fixtures won't be very bight. I also read that fixtures designed for halogen just don't work right with LEDs in them? I'm now considering replacing the 55W bulbs with 35W halogens in an attempt to reduce the load. Kuryakyn and a few others have 35W H3 bulbs that are said to be pretty bright. My intention is to light up the nearby road itself and not to light up tree tops 1/2 a mile down the road. Any thoughts?

Rick

Last edited by Alpha One Nine; 04-03-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Looking for the doohickey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

LED specific Add On's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post
Greetings,

I came across a pair of virtually new 8-10 year old small Hella fog lights in my garage and I'm thinking about using them with my 2015 650.
They came with 55W H3 bulbs and the original plan is to replace the halogen bulbs with LED emitters but after a little research it sounds like any LEDs small enough to fit into these little fixtures won't be very bight. I also read that fixtures designed for halogen just work right with LEDs in them? I'm now considering replacing the 55W bulbs with 35W halogens in an attempt to reduce the load. Kuryakyn and a few others have 35W H3 bulbs that are said to be pretty bright. My intention is to light up the nearby road itself and not to light up tree tops 1/2 a mile down the road. Any thoughts?
No matter what you do, it won't be good using Halogen.
I put on the Denali, yes expensive, several threads going with cheaper versions.
More in the How To Forum under LED
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ki-others.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...sys-650lt.html

Alpha One Nine likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
No matter what you do, it won't be good using Halogen.
I put on the Denali, yes expensive, several threads going with cheaper versions.
More in the How To Forum under LED
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ki-others.html

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...sys-650lt.html

Thanks for the links. I will check them out.
Do those Denali lights have a wide horizontal beam that won't offend on-coming traffic if properly adjusted like true fog lights?

Rick

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Two Lense Options

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I will check them out.
Do those Denali lights have a wide horizontal beam that won't offend on-coming traffic if properly adjusted like true fog lights?
They come with a different lens, wide angle for up close, I am running the spot, as I want distance, primarily far ahead center and far ahaed to the right towards the ditch , I am looking for deer and moose , last year on a late ride home near midnight, caught 5 deer standing to my right at a T intersection, I was doing 100 KM/HR , down to under 20 KM/HR before I reached them, both engine braking and front brake. I have been within 15 feet of a deer, that deer cleaned a guy off in front of me, who was riding a gold-wing, I assume he was pretty badly hurt because the impact knocked the wind out of the deer. The guy was in a group of Harley type riders, they all stopped and 911 called , I wasn't part of the group, even though I have CPR first aid , enough people already responded that had the same, it is very hard to erase bad memories of accidents , I can still remember one from over 40 years ago, feed truck T boning a car that ran a red light, the guy driving the feed truck was doing 80 KM/HR , came through the windshield ( before seat belt laws).
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I know what you mean about seeing deer down the road.

I have had two deer encounters in which I think I'm lucky to have survived. Both were in eastern Oregon in June (not the same year) but neither were after dark.
The fist was an actual hit around noon with my KLR at about 50 mph. It struck the right HT nerf bar which had a pack with rain gear and other soft items strapped to it. The pack and nerf bar absorbed the brunt of the energy and pretty much saved my right leg from serious injury. I was able to finish the ride.

The second time happened so fast is seemed like a blur. I was doing about 70 mph on my Connie on a super strait stretch of US 26 in the Ochoco National Forest and I took my eyes off the road for just a couple a seconds to mess with my GPS. When I looked up there a deer standing right in front of me and I hit the brakes to where both front and rear wheels locked. I think the noise from the skidding is what scared the deer and motivated it to run off. I would say I missed it by less than 5 feet.

Back to the light discussion. In addition to close proximity wide beam fog lights I too plan to add some long range driving lights that will certainly be LED but I was thinking about trying to utilize what I already have. It would be great to find some reliable and inexpensive LED fog lights though.

Rick
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

LED Upgrade

Many posts in How To Forum under led. One thing that can save amps is upgrading your 5 watt city lights to phillips LED T10.

Not sure if you saw these posts;
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ght=fog+lights

If you have time to wait, some really good posts on a USA made assembly, worth a look, fog lights, illuminated license plate , dimmer etc.

Last edited by onewizard; 04-05-2019 at 09:33 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
One thing that can save amps is upgrading your 5 watt city lights to phillips LED T10.
Done. I think the idea came from one of your posts.

Thanks again for the links!

I came across these when browsing Amazon today: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L693XV5..._t1_B07K9JGTHD
Kind of a two birds/one stone approach.

Rick
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 08:31 AM

Garage
If it sounds too good to be true...

The specs of those lights are rather humorous. Well, I laughed at them.

Ever seen how “one size fits all” clothing actually fits? Those lights claim to do everything, and do it very efficiently as well. I’m sure the real world testing will tell a different story. At least that is what my experiences with inexpensive lights have taught me.

One would be better served saving a bit longer and buying good lights from a reputable manufacturer.
onewizard and Alpha One Nine like this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

USA Made

Quote:
Done. I think the idea came from one of your posts.

Thanks again for the links!

I came across these when browsing Amazon today: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L693XV5..._t1_B07K9JGTHD
Kind of a two birds/one stone approach.
I didn't add the manufacturer link on that last link, but the price for 1500 lumen spot is $20 more than Amazon , which includes a waterproof switch etc. . Note my note in the firsts post of that thread ; https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ght=fog+lights
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:23 AM

My experience with these kind of lights is get spot and forget about flood unless they are off road only. The bikes headlights provide a horizontal wash (especially with the high beam). A spot can shoot it where you want. You will need a switch,preferably hi-lo (this can be made inexpensively). Lots on the topic here on the forum if you look!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
If it sounds too good to be true...

The specs of those lights are rather humorous. Well, I laughed at them.

Ever seen how “one size fits all” clothing actually fits? Those lights claim to do everything, and do it very efficiently as well. I’m sure the real world testing will tell a different story. At least that is what my experiences with inexpensive lights have taught me.

One would be better served saving a bit longer and buying good lights from a reputable manufacturer.
I tend to agree and have been down this road before.

Five or six years ago I bought some, shipped from China, no name '800 lumen 10 watt' square LED spot light pods from Ebay for $10 US each and mounted them to the KLR which was undergoing a frontal makeover. One of them failed during it's first 'off-road' ride and another failed shortly after that (I bought three in total). I then bought some from Super Bright Leds which looked the same except for the connectors. These were $35 each so I spoke to a SBL rep who assured me they have a lifetime warranty and have had a very low failure rate. These have been working great ever since.

If I were searching for 10W SPOT light pods I would get another set of these in a minute but that is currently not the case or the topic of this thread. In general, as with many products (and services) I have found there is a larger quality gap between the 'cheapest available' and middle tier pricing than middle tier and 'top of the line'. There was no way I was going drop $300 on a set of LED lights for the KLR and I'm still glad I didn't.

Rick

Last edited by Alpha One Nine; 04-06-2019 at 01:08 AM.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

I have a pair of Denali DM halogen lights on my '15 - the GREEN HORNET TOO.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0665.JPG (263.8 KB, 8 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 08:16 AM
jpd

Garage
I ran a set of halogen lights on my c-10 for a while. They were a cheep set I found at Auto Zone and they worked ok for me. They filled in the area just in front of the bike and the shoulder of the road. They also lit up the road signs down the road further. They were not for long distance light. I didn't get high beam flashes from others but I had them set so the hot spot of the beam was well below the center line of the light fixture. I would say give the ones you have a try. If you don't like them then spend money on others. My concern would be the power draw on the charging system and would recommend some type of voltage monitoring system. If you set in traffic have a switch so you can turn them off to save your battery.

Jeff

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
I ran a set of halogen lights on my c-10 for a while. They were a cheep set I found at Auto Zone and they worked ok for me. They filled in the area just in front of the bike and the shoulder of the road. They also lit up the road signs down the road further. They were not for long distance light. I didn't get high beam flashes from others but I had them set so the hot spot of the beam was well below the center line of the light fixture. I would say give the ones you have a try. If you don't like them then spend money on others. My concern would be the power draw on the charging system and would recommend some type of voltage monitoring system. If you set in traffic have a switch so you can turn them off to save your battery.
This is what I'm talking about.
I think I will mount up the pair I have and see how it goes for now.
I do have a digital voltmeter in the dash to monitor things and I have little jump start pack I carry in my top case for emergencies.

Rick
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:19 PM

Halogen worked fine for years and still does. I ran into my pal at the hardware store yesterday,he was looking to replace a small halogen bathroom flood-light. I told him they make it in LED now as well. He found that they dont make it in halogen anymore,only LED. He likes the "warm" feel of halogen.
Warm indeed, but creates a lot more heat and wasted energy. Which is expensive. Or power sucking on a motorbike. Many seasoned riders on this forum prefer halogen. I like LED for their efficiency and versatility.
quexpress and Alpha One Nine like this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mounted up the ol' fog lights. Will build the electrical harness and try to compensate for the asymmetrical crash bars tomorrow.

onewizard and bwag1961 like this.

Rick
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We finally got a break from the rain so I went for a ride to test the power load of the halogen fog lights and I think it's too much.
I always ride with my high beam on during the day and when the flog lights came on the voltmeter would drop by about 1 volt regardless of RPM.
It's about what I expected but I had to see for myself.

The new cockpit setup is working out nicely though as is the seat mod and heated grips.

Rick

Last edited by Alpha One Nine; 04-14-2019 at 10:19 PM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I found a pair of cheap 10W LED spot pods in the garage and decided to mount them in place of the Halogen fog lights today. I was not happy with them when I got them several years ago from eBay but they were so cheap it wasn't worth the expense to return them. They have a ~10 degree spot beam which is not what I was wanting at the time, or now even, but the volt meter sure likes them. Maybe I can get some different lenses or reflectors to get a wide but short beam. I have a replacement lens/diffuser for a LED bicycle light that does I nice job of stretching the beam horizontally but it remains vertically narrow. The one I have is a little too small for those lights though.

Rick
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Speaking of halogen fog lights, look what I pulled out of my 2002 4Runner today. It's working again thanks to some good chemicals and abrasives.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode