Next set of tires will be... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By hawkerjet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Next set of tires will be...

Well... Didn't decided yet...

My OEM tires have 10.000km and although they have plenty of thread left they are starting to show a bit of a flat spot in the center, and I'm planning to replace them next spring.

One thing to consider is that next month I will stop using the bike to commute to work because I'm going to a new work where I will have a company car. Because of this I will only use the bike on the weekends and vacation, thus wet performance of the tire in not as important as before.

My options right now are:
Pirelli Angel GT - I can get them at a very reasonable price over here. Around 215€ the pair.
Metzeler Roadtec 01 - the second in price
Continental Contiroad Attack 3 - the newest and most expensive on my short list.

I'm very interested in the Continental ones, but at about more 60/75€ per pair I don't know If I can justify the diference for the Pirelli.

Am I missing any particular model that you might sugest?

Do you recomend any one on my list or another one?

I don't consider the Pilot Road because although I loved the wet grip performance of the PR4, I didn't like the the handling/cornering.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 AM

Garage
I have the Metzeler Roadtec and love them.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:10 AM

I am installing my 2nd set of Bridgestone S-21's. Picked up a pair for $220 a while back and got a $40 rebate which brought the cost down to a buck 80. That's a hell of a deal for a great set of tires.

Here is a current combo price. https://www.motosport.com/product/?a...street&variant[BGS002P]=BGS002P-X001-Y001&variant[BGS002Q]=BGS002Q-X001-Y001

I got 3800 miles out of the current set and could have squeezed another 200 miles out of them. I have run PR 2, 3, 4's. Pilot Power 3. Pirelli Angel GT's. Conti Trail Attach's. Metzeler M7RR's. These S-21's are my favorite to date and the least expensive. The price of my latest set is less than just one rear tire price of many brands.

Win win in my book.
StormRider and Mudpit like this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM

Impressive miles out of the stock tires. I am looking at Continental ContiMotion for my next set. They are dirt cheap here (~$150 set) but are very highly reviewed after being offered for many many years here. Single compound and simple tread pattern but I am not trying to commute in the rain, just sport-tour at a mildly hot pace sometimes. Been on Avon Trailriders since toasting the stockers in 4500MI (~7300KM) and the Avon tires are very good in all conditions, kinda loud like a mud/snow tire on a car, but expensive for the very little amount of dirt I have ended up doing on the V

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 10:53 AM

When my OEM back tire wore out at 6600 miles (the front is still "OK" at 12k+) I was on a ride and bought a tire that was "available". It is a Dunlop RS III and it is wearing well. It's a dual compound tire and is showing just a bit of flat after 6K miles but has loads of tread left. Gets good traction in all road conditions (I have run it on a bit of gravel). I believe I will replace the front with the same brand/model tire.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Impressive miles out of the stock tires. I am looking at Continental ContiMotion for my next set....
On my '08 V650 I got 10,008 miles from the OEM Dunlop rear, and 11,545 miles from the front OEM.

When I put a set of ContiMotions on, I got 10,628 miles from the rear, 11,233 from the front (AGAIN - on my '08). I also ran several sets of ContiMotions on my Canadian V's, an '09 and a '15 (the records of mileage are in BC, so I can't add them), EXCEPT that I put them on my '15 to ride across Canada both ways in summer of '17, then took them off at the end [8,668 MILES] and gave them away, putting SHINKO E705s back on.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:23 PM

The Angel GT's are a magnificent tire. Not to be confused with the St's, which are just OK. The Gt's are the longest lasting tires I've put on the V. I've gone through nine or ten tires so far on the rear in a bit over 40k miles. I am not easy on the throttle.

3 Shinko 705, average 3500 miles
2 Angel GT, average 6250 miles
4 023 Bridgestone, 4500 miles

I currently am running a Dunlop RS 3 on the rear, a 170/60 instead of a 160/60. Too early to tell the wear rate.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:06 PM

Garage
Has any one gone from the 120/70 front to a 120/60?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

I'm always very impressed with the low mileage that people get out of their tires.

I think I must drive like a grandma!

Now serious... I do a lot of highway... And I've always used dual compound tires... Must be the reason.

In my cb500x my stock tires (Dunlop Trailmax I think) where changed at 18000km due to a punture... They still had thread left. Then I put PR4 and sold the bike with 12000km on them and they look new

I'm curious to try a single compound tire... That's why If I don't go for the Angel GT I'm looking at the Contiroad Attack 3.

Enviado do meu G3221 através do Tapatalk

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-26-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode