• 5 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson
  • 1 Post By cjcintucson
  • 4 Post By cjcintucson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Hand Guards-One point mounting

Hi All,
I am interested in getting some hand guards for one reason. To keep my hands a little warmer during what poses as winter here in AZ. I wanted to do it at a minimum of messing with my V650 (as in removing the bar ends). So I found these:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...aluminum-mount
and Barkbusters makes a more expensive, equivalent unit. I probably won't even keep these things on year round unless we have a gigantic cicada infestation during the warmer months. So, easy on and easy off as I see it. ANYBODY HAVE THESE STYLE? Thanks

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-26-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

The photo with the shown guards is not very good. This one of another brand will show them better.
https://www.revzilla.com/dirt-bike/m...t-2-handguards

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Chuck - FWIW I have OEM hand-guards on my '15, and ZETA XC ones on the '08 (so they SHOULD protect my hands IF I 'go down'), and I remove the plastic-covers when the temps are HOT - lots of airflow, but still protected IF I 'go down'.
[Taking the bolt out from the ends of the handle-bars is pretty easy.]

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:07 PM

Garage
Barkbusters Storm with the single point mount will do exactly what you want. I run them all year. For the rain and bugs in the summer, and the cold wet of spring and fall.
onewizard, DaveC, Fastoman and 2 others like this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Barkbusters Storm with the single point mount will do exactly what you want.
Ditto. Here's my post with pictures: https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...0-gen-2-a.html
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks 16VGTIDAve and OldandSlow. That is exactly the info I was looking for and I will order some of those. I did a search before posting this thread, but maybe I did not keep looking far enough to see your early thread. Thanks again. I will post a photo when I get mine.
Oldandslow likes this.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Based on Old and Dave above I ordered these. In white with black print to match my paint scheme. It says in the write up and the reviews that they fit on large levers of touring bikes also. They even have adjustable "winglets" that give more air flow away from your hands. A bonus, for a little more money they have colors that look like they would match a lot of the Kawasaki colors. Will take pics and post details when the arrive next week. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-78-handlebars

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 04:16 PM

I have the kawa original: https://www.ebay.com/p/Hand-Guard-Sh...8173672&chn=ps and they do the trick really well.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 03:38 PM

I have the Powermadd guards using the ATV mounts. Works well to keep the wind and rocks off my hands (had a few thrown up by vehicles in front of me).

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...andguards.html

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

My one point mount hand guards arrived. See pictures. They are pretty smart in how they can minimize inventory. They sell them in 10 colors. When you order your color you are ordering the whole unit and the quoted price. When they ship it the order is broken in to two parts - the mounting bracket and the plastic wind buster. The total price of those is the price you were quoted. So, they smartly don't have to keep an inventory of complete sets of every color. Just, some of the mounting bracket and a couple of every color guard you put on the bracket. Attempted install is tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8128.jpg (49.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8129.jpg (54.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8130.jpg (64.9 KB, 18 views)

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 06:23 PM

Garage
I have the OEM ones on my LT and they do help a lot with the wind in colder weather. I take them off when temps are regularly above 80.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

I got the handguards assembled yesterday. The review on line that says the instructions are worthless is correct. That said, there is a blow up diagram of what goes where. As long as you are careful to use the right screws for the right spot, and some parts are labeled R or L to match up, it is not too tough. I would suggest assembly in some bright light, some of the screws and holes are kind of small. They come with some additional "wings" (the black part at the top) which you screw to the main part. As my need is wind protection, I went ahead and mounted them. Attachment to my V650 is later today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8140.jpg (43.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG8143.jpg (41.0 KB, 15 views)

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Got the Barkbusters mounted yesterday. The right side was pretty tough and I had to rotate the controls (kill switch, my throttle lock and start button) a little forward to get the guard at about the right location. Did get the brake lever back to the correct level. The left side was easy comparitively. I took it out for a short ride to make sure all the controls still worked correctly. Today will be the test to see if my hands don't get as cold as before. Headed to Florence, AZ for lunch. I took the pics at an angle to try to approximate what things would look like if the bike was standing straight up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (52.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (66.4 KB, 20 views)
quexpress likes this.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Hi All,
I am interested in getting some hand guards for one reason. To keep my hands a little warmer during what poses as winter here in AZ. I wanted to do it at a minimum of messing with my V650 (as in removing the bar ends). So I found these:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...aluminum-mount
and Barkbusters makes a more expensive, equivalent unit. I probably won't even keep these things on year round unless we have a gigantic cicada infestation during the warmer months. So, easy on and easy off as I see it. ANYBODY HAVE THESE STYLE? Thanks
My brain dump on cold weather riding...

I find the effect hand guards on hand warmth is imperceptible. They look nice but they do not do anything wrt warmth I've found, although others may disagree. Insulated motorcycle gloves and/or heated grips will provide much more comfort and be more practical for less money.

I currently own three pairs of gloves and switch between them as the weather dictates. Normal gauntlet style gloves for warm and hot weather, waterproof non insulated gloves for cooler temps, and insulated and heated Gerbings gloves for cold weather. I would suggest you combine the last two types into a single pair of waterproof and insulated gloves and if you still have cold hands then add a pair of oxford heated grips. Heated grips only heat the palm of the hand though so in -50F/10C you will likely want a combination of insulation and heat if you are on the bike for any length of time at highway speeds.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...nd-tour-gloves
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ndchill-gloves
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...anguard-gloves

As a person living in the second coldest national capital city (we got Moscow beat but Helsinki, Finland is coldest) where I spend a lot of time outdoors skiing/hiking in the winter and sometimes motorcycling in late fall and early spring, it is important to understand the relationship between time of exposure, exertion(body heat generation) and wind chill. Weather temperature by itself is irrelevant in determining warmth. You can sweat exerting yourself at -20C if you are well insulated and protected from the wind. Exposed skin, like your nose though, will burn at the same temperature though and suffer frostbite after 20min if it is not covered. City riding for instance, even in the coldest ride-able temperatures (0C/32F), will not likely make you that cold on the bike but an hour on the bike at highway speeds at 40F/5C will freeze you without heated gear. Also a warm core will mean warm hands and feet. Your body restricts blood flow to the extremities when it gets cold to protect the important organs. A warm core will mean warm hands at colder temperatures. Cold hands and feet are the first signs your core is having a problem staying warm.

A heated jacket liner (with heated collar and arms, plus heated gloves is the ultimate solution. Heated gear is great on a bike in cold weather because you are not generating body heat through exertion but losing it rapidly due to excessive wind chill (heat lost = 60mph X temp X time exposed). The wind also makes insulation less effective due to the fact you cannot prevent all the micro air leaks that occur at this speed and the body is generating minimal heat due to exertion. A heated jacket liner and heated gloves provide the ultimate cold weather comfort and are not affected by air leaks. Heated grips are more versatile (in between temps) than heated gloves but do not provide the same level of comfort (heated gloves heat the fingers and back of the hand, the parts that get cold) in cold temps or on long highway rides. The only downside to heated gear is the intial investment and the fact you need to connect up every time you put your gloves on or take them off. For this reason it works great on the highway for trips of .5 hour or more but is more of a pain for city commuting where you are riding 15-20 min at a time at slow speeds in heavy traffic.

Also suggest looking at a pin lock or fog city visor insert if you have not already got one, as visor fogging is a common issue at colder temps. Budget priced motorcycle tires may work fine at normal temps but in cooler temps are more likely to have traction issues compared to premium tires that use more advanced rubber compounds that are less effected by the cold.

* I have a Gerbings MD jacket liner and size LG Gerbings T5 heated gloves for sale in the for sale section along with the requisite dual temp controller. I love it in cold weather but am selling as I have an excess of cold weather motorcycle gear and since I purchased I have moved to an area where my early spring and late fall riding now is in a large city, where I do short commuting trips at lower speeds, where it is not as useful. It truly is the cat's pyjamas though for back road and highway rides of .5hr or more at 60mph/100kph. You can ride at these temps like it is 70F out.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-13-2018 at 03:09 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcintucson View Post
Hi All, To keep my hands a little warmer during what poses as winter here in AZ.
I laughed at this, just a little. It's hard for me to ride to work below 36F or so anymore.

'09 Versys
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Headed out for a winter day here of high less than 60 degrees. 130 mile round trip to Florence for lunch. I think the Barkbusters helped some and I am happy with them on. Also helped that I had my leather jacket plus liner on. Hey, your blood gets thin down here and sub 60 degrees brings out the winter clothes. I posted this on another thread, but this sign sums up our day yesterday. Also rode past an interesting cactus and an unusual place. Their website says they are home to 300 rescued pot belly pigs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DMMC Motto.jpg (10.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Segmented Saguaro.jpg (40.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Cholla Life and Death.jpg (128.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Pig Sanctuary.jpg (89.2 KB, 14 views)

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

I agree w/ Chuck - down here in AZ when I say "it's cold" or similar, someone USUALLY says..."But you're Canadian Ed...?" to which MY reply is..."I've been coming to AZ EVERY winter since 2003, that's 15 years SINCE I spent a winter there...!"

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:06 PM

Late response, but for anyone still looking for a single mounting point (bar end only) guard, I strongly suggest the Acerbis Dual Road guards, and get the model that has the built in turn signal inserts. Re comments on not being effective, if the ambient temp is 35, and I'm doing 65 mph, being directly exposed equates to a converted ambient of around 10. I think they make some diff. but I still ended up getting some heated grips.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode