Heated Grips and Bark Busters - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looking at adding heated Grips and Bark Buster's to my 16 Versys. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Tusk brand of these things. Everything I've gotten in the past has been solid. I'm a little skeptical that the throttle side trip will have the correct cable adapter, but the install instructions show multiple adapters just like the ODI stuff. Had anyone installed either or both of these?
I didn't search yet but are there any issues getting the stock bar ends and grips off?

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...eated-MC-Grips

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...w-Turn-Signals

Last edited by Butch1581; 11-19-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Heated Grips

Removal of OEM bar weights, most important is good quality tools, as the mounting has a overabundance of blue loctite on it and due to this is also over torqued.A allen socket and impact driver could help, be aware it is a standard right hand thread ( CCW to remove). I removed my OEM grips in one piece , yes difficult, most just take a box cutter to them.
As to hand guards, make absolutely sure these are specific to the Versys, not all fit, also the bar end weight gets changed out with the Barkbusters. Heated grips I provided a link https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...rformance.html Two of the top performing and selling are Oxford and Koso. I have the Oxford but, had I waited until this year, I would have gone with Koso, as real-estate on the Versys is limited.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 AM

Those Oxfords are great,i had them on high yesterday.Very toasty.I put the controller on the handlebars with 2 mini zip ties and some double sided sticky tape.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and the information. I did research removing the factory bar ends and I think I should be fine there. I did contact Rocky mountain regarding the Bark busters and they told me that the adventure version that I posted a link to is the correct one for the Versys. I am very tempted to try the Tusk heated grips as I like the Motocross style grip because that is what I am used to. The few reviews on them are good but there are not a lot of them. I will definitely check out in the Brand's you suggested as well. Thanks!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
I have the KOSO APOLLO heated grips on both my V 650s. They work PDG, and as the controls are on the left grip, they "blend-in" better.

I've since rotated the right grip so that the wire doesn't point upwards.
Turk and jaaklucas like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know if I will be able to tie the led lights in the handguards in to the stock turn signal without any issue? I don't want to get rid of the stock blinkers, just add the led handguard blinkers to them.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch1581 View Post
Does anyone know if I will be able to tie the led lights in the handguards in to the stock turn signal without any issue? I don't want to get rid of the stock blinkers, just add the led handguard blinkers to them.

You should be able to add the LED's without issue, if they are low wattage. Worst case, the turn signals will flash slower than before and you will need a $2 adjustable flasher relay to get back to the correct flash rate.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Easy peasy , you can save yourself a bit of work by tying into the harness at the signal lever, if you need colour codes, let me know, I thought they were in my https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...onversion.html page 2 post 66 on but a quick look, not so.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Cool. I did do some research and I think I am doing all of the below:

Tusk Adventure handguards with LED (Link in original post)
Tusk Heated Grips (Link in original post)
LED Bulbs for All 4 blinkers (The amazon ones suggested on this site)
LED Flasher from superbrightleds.com (Also suggested from this site)
LED Brake Modulator to tie into the stock LED brake light https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the input. The only think I am not 100% sure about is the Tusk grips, but they went on sale for $44 so I will give them a try. I am thinking I will be able to tie them into my stock heated grips connection up front on my 16 versys instead of going to the battery.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...Thanks for the input. The only think I am not 100% sure about is the Tusk grips, but they went on sale for $44 so I will give them a try. I am thinking I will be able to tie them into my stock heated grips connection up front on my 16 versys instead of going to the battery.
You will be able to, AFTER installing a relay, which goes behind the right-side head-light. (I got mine from Ma Kawi for about$16CDN.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Quote:
...Thanks for the input. The only think I am not 100% sure about is the Tusk grips, but they went on sale for $44 so I will give them a try. I am thinking I will be able to tie them into my stock heated grips connection up front on my 16 versys instead of going to the battery.
You will be able to, AFTER installing a relay, which goes behind the right-side head-light. (I got mine from Ma Kawi for about$16CDN.)
Cool. I did install a relay (just used a standard $4 relay and removed wires from stock connector) already as I installed a gear indicator so I should be good to go.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Cool. I did install a relay (just used a standard $4 relay and removed wires from stock connector) already as I installed a gear indicator so I should be good to go.
-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Garage
I just installed Oxfords on my 2016 Versys 650. I was trying to figure out how to connect them to the factory wiring, but just ended up connecting to the battery. Where did you connect yours to? I'd like to connect to the factory wiring if possible. Any info. would be appreciated.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:02 PM

Garage
I installed the Oxfords last weekend and they work great. But, I had a difficult time finding a place to mount the controller. I had to cut the bracket and just use the square part that screws on to the controller, then zip tied it to the bars for a temporary fix. Any ideas or suggestions? It's a 2016 Versys 650.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You can't go wrong with the Oxfords. They are a proven design and easy plug in install. They also have a digital controller that switches itself off if the battery runs low. I ordered a no name kit from ebay similar tho the set linked to and it did not fit.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbrendon View Post
I just installed Oxfords on my 2016 Versys 650. I was trying to figure out how to connect them to the factory wiring, but just ended up connecting to the battery. Where did you connect yours to? I'd like to connect to the factory wiring if possible. Any info. would be appreciated.
The OWNERS MANUAL for my '15 has a page showing the various places that the OEM wiring is already set for adding heated grips, lights, and and gear-indicator once you add the required relay. I expect it should be in yours, as well.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode