• 2 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 2 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Vacuum tube mods

I have just replaced the split vacuum pipe on my 2015 gen 3, I notice that there are 2 rubber capped of pipes on the throttle bodies, Iíve seen the vacuum mod threads on here but they seem to be for earlier models, would I benefit from doing the link up mod on my gen 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Vacuum Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecarolroch View Post
I have just replaced the split vacuum pipe on my 2015 gen 3, I notice that there are 2 rubber capped of pipes on the throttle bodies, Iíve seen the vacuum mod threads on here but they seem to be for earlier models, would I benefit from doing the link up mod on my gen 3.
See my post #6 , picture = 1000 words MK-3 Versys 2015 650 ABS

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...gs-mk-3-a.html

Last edited by onewizard; 10-11-2018 at 07:19 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so would I benefit from linking the 2 together

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:07 PM

I dont think linking them has a benefit as much as extending them so that a vacuum sync becomes a very easy service.

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:16 PM

Garage
HD use a linked intake/vacuum system and one carb however Kawasaki opted instead to keep intakes separate, with separate carbs, probably in part to uneven firing order in 650cc engine that means intake/vac pulses are not evenly spaced, therefore linking vacuum lines would have an adverse effect in an engine like this. The second cyl firing immediately after first would have less air and less vac

The adjustment balances the volume of air in each cylinder so they both have similar power pulses.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-10-2018 at 03:32 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I have just replaced the split vacuum pipe on my 2015 gen 3, I notice that there are 2 rubber capped of pipes on the throttle bodies, I’ve seen the vacuum mod threads on here but they seem to be for earlier models, would I benefit from doing the link up mod on my gen 3.
You have a split vacuum pipe, but still have both TB vacuum port caps? What is this split vacuum pipe you speak of?
onewizard and Fastoman like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 05:55 AM

I have, over the years, done lots of work on 4 cyl carb / intake bikes and have experimented with linking vacuum ports in this manner, with the though of evening pulses. What I ultimately found was that all I was doing was creating a vacuum leak. As each cylinder came to an intake stroke, it was getting air from the other cylinders and screwing up the idle mix to the cylinder with vacuum. So can someone please explain to me the reason you are doing this mod, what the intended result is, and some type of technical explanation of why you feel it works?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Not Sure about OP

Quote:
Thanks so would I benefit from linking the 2 together
While doing my valve shim check, it was suggested to bring the capped lines out, which I did, they remain capped and are colour coded, I can now check my vacuum sync and more importantly, the condition of the valve shim tightness, ****poorly explained, but Steve posted a link about this https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...61-post30.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
I dont think linking them has a benefit as much as extending them so that a vacuum sync becomes a very easy service.
Linking them has been discussed 9 years ago by Invader, and not the capped lines. This post is exactly why I brought my capped lines out. 5 minutes and I can check my vacuum sync and be riding!!

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-11-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added "several" 'p's, to make it read better....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 10:28 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about whether a 12AY7 could be substituted for a 12AX7, or something along those lines!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 12:00 PM

I knew a fellow audio geek would chime in eventually. :^)
Fly-Sig and SteveJ like this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Was Discussing Tube Verses Solid State Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about whether a 12AY7 could be substituted for a 12AX7, or something along those lines!
Old tube amplifiers are still the best, many don't understand, with electronics, you need to add filters to remove the noise, in a tube amplifier this noise doesn't exist. The only thing that has changed, is devices are able to handle much higher current and higher voltage than in the 70's. The other thing, good luck in finding anyone that can give you a equivalent part number byn telling them it is PNP and the emitter is this current and voltage , the circuit is common collector and it is used in a Elox machine. Amazing I could remeber it, more amazing I found some links

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...BAgFEAI&adurl=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=elox+...w=1720&bih=966
Beezerboy likes this.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:33 AM

It takes millions of transistors in a microprocessor to emulate the sound of one vacuum tube. A vacuum tube is the equivalent of one transistor. Sometimes the old fashioned way really is better.
Beezerboy likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:08 AM

The old Soviet Mig-25 fighter jet used vacuum tubes in their onboard radar units.

Wonder if the pilots had better sound quality while playing their tunes during a dog fight...Lol.

Sound quality good enough to make Maverick and Goose proud?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (3.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg mig25.jpg (6.6 KB, 14 views)
Fly-Sig likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 10-24-2018 at 09:18 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 12:52 PM

Garage
I'm a tube guy....

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkerjet View Post
The old Soviet Mig-25 fighter jet used vacuum tubes in their onboard radar units.

Wonder if the pilots had better sound quality while playing their tunes during a dog fight...Lol.

Sound quality good enough to make Maverick and Goose proud?
Fly-Sig and hawkerjet like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode