Cheap Aux Lights from Amazon - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Cheap Aux Lights from Amazon

I looked at the OEM Auxillary lights and couldn't see parting with all that $ C for something I could make for a fraction of the price.Also,I thought their system was over-engineered,not like Kawi engineering in performance which I really admire for efficiency.So I looked at some other bike OEM aux.light designs(images) and found a simple solution from BMW I think.Which is odd as they are famous for over-engineering!I got a couple of feet of aluminium flat bar,bent it into a U bracket.Underneath the front fairing is a section of the front frame,tube metal going across.I secured the aluminium flat bar U bracket to the tube frame section using 2 ground wire clamps from Home Depot.The ones electricians use to secure a ground wire to a plumbing pipe,they have a serrated "grip" for traction on a pipe.I bought a couple of 12 Volt 18 Watt LEDs,take your pick.Look for a spot light throw,a flood is more wide and not as concise for distance.My experience now is that they are all made in China despite what online vendors might imply.
At first I put a simple on/off switch but it was way to bright for incoming traffic.So I changed it to a simple on/on toggle switch.Only the hot wire goes through the switch,just like house wiring.I learned how to dim LEDs from youtube.The low power setting is achieved by using a resistor,somewhere around 300 ohms if I recall.Maybe different because there are two lights,I cant remember what I ended up using.I went to the local electronics supply store with a light and he tried some resistor settings for me.Experiment with different Ohms.You just loop that hot wire back and splice it into the other switch side full power feed down the line to the lights.Up switch full power,down switch dimmed power through the resistor.The resistors are very cheap.If you want lower brightness you use a resistor with less Ohms.You get more heat the more you resist the current so if the resistor is too hot to the touch get one with a higher Watts rating,they are bigger for heat dissipation but lots of room inside the fairing.But low current draw LED is way cooler than incandescent lights,no worries.Low power setting are the running lights.I wired off the bikes auxillary circuit,just like the OEM.
I used a toggle switch that takes a waterproof boot over it for obvious reasons.Couldnt find a decent handlebar mounted solution,where I put the switch works,I don't reach for the highs often.If a car cuts me off he gets the auxillary and LED headlights on full,they want to get out of there pronto!Everything was inexpensive,how much you want to spend on lights is up to you.Cree is the standard in N. America I believe..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auxillary lights bracket.jpg (71.0 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg Auxillary lights hi-lo switch.jpg (62.0 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg Auxillary lights.jpg (64.3 KB, 258 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
very nice i did the same thing (i think total price was $12 shipped) but i mounted them to the front forks so they point where the wheel points so i can aim them at animals when they are on the side of the road, and better line of ride light

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 04:21 PM

Garage
Question Cheap Aux Lights from Amazon

Has anyone tried something like these running right from the battery? Seems so cheap if they even just improve visibility a little it's worth it. Could install right on the crash bars. Great find or too good to be true?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 04:37 PM

Garage
Here are some older thread links for anyone new looking for mounting ideas etc:

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ghts-v650.html
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ll-thread.html
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...how-mount.html
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ry-lights.html
rsherman likes this.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:01 PM

Garage
I tried something similar. The pair I bought did not come with any extra wiring or switches, but look exactly the same. Had to send them back, as one light was defective. The ones I ordered were bigger than expected.
StormRider likes this.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:12 PM

I have a set of lights like those. They were very inexpensive ($20--25). They help some at night, but are not great. They definitely make me more visible in the daytime. Have had them about 2 years with no problems.
StormRider likes this.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:27 PM

I had the Auxbeam version, a little better in quality but the size made me get rit of them
Mounted on the crashbar they looked huge and added some width to the bike which is allready a bit to much to turn the bike on my backlawn trough the gardendoor.
Lightwise, meh not that spectactular.
StormRider likes this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
My experience has been you need to spend more than a few dollars but not a large amount either, to get a good quality light that works. Typically $60-$120 for a pair. I also found I needed to purchase motorcycle model specific mounts for the lights which can cost as much as the lights. The mounts made the installation look professional and protect the lights in a tip over by virtue of where they locate them. Mounts are made by Denali, Kawasaki or SW-Motech. I bought the cheap LED lights from ebay before giving them away. I ended up with a pair purchased off of ali express that are round CNC aluminum with 4 CREE LEDs per unit and output 3500lm each. They turn night into day. You may even find you only need one. I don't see the point in spending 3-4x the amount for brand name lights from Denali or similar brand name manufacturers. Your mileage may vary.

Flood beam patterns (wide beam) are for lighting the bed of a pickup or deck of a boat. A spot beam pattern (narrow beam) works better illuminating at a distance.

LED aux lights because they use minimal power, can be wired directly to the high beam bulb circuit to minimize switching, alternatively you can use a $2 relay.

~1200lm is the light output from a single H7 bulb
~3500lm is the light output from a single high quality aux light
StormRider likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-04-2018 at 02:35 AM.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:30 AM

Garage
If you're looking to see further down the road, don't get those.

so it goes...
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Those lights are going to be great for blinding yourself with. They are a very short range flood light. As such, they will only illuminate close to you and will ruin your night vision. You won't be able to see much if anything past those lights. That may work for you if you want to mount them up high (headlight level or above) and have them shining down for navigating single track at night. They will be useless or even dangerous on the street, and hazardous at highway speeds.

I have a similar pair of lights that are 'spot' pattern, which still have too much spill close in. They are currently mounted on my engine guards and aimed outwards to illuminate the sides of the road where the suicidal night critters are lying in wait. I'm spending time this weekend trying to locate a higher position to mount the lights, and probably fabricating brackets to do so. The turn signal mounts are one consideration.

As far as wiring is concerned, I use the high beam as the trigger for the relay, but have installed a small fuse block behind the left tank trim panel for power distribution. I don't like adding loads to existing circuits, rather I prefer adding additional circuits. Slightly more complicated, but I have yet to have any sort of electrical failure in 6 years / 100,000 km (62,000 miles). Not even a blown fuse.
Urbanengineer and StormRider like this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Regarding budget led lights, the only negative that I have heard , other than perhaps lacking quality, is fairly high amp draw.
StormRider likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 09:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
My experience has been you need to spend more than a few dollars but not a large amount either, to get a good quality light that works. Typically $60-$120 for a pair. I also found I needed to purchase motorcycle model specific mounts for the lights which can cost as much as the lights. The mounts made the installation look professional and protect the lights in a tip over by virtue of where they locate them. Mounts are made by Denali, Kawasaki or SW-Motech. I bought the cheap LED lights from ebay before giving them away. I ended up with a pair purchased off of ali express that are round CNC aluminum with 4 CREE LEDs per unit and output 3500lm each. They turn night into day. You may even find you only need one. I don't see the point in spending 3-4x the amount for brand name lights from Denali or similar brand name manufacturers. Your mileage may vary.

Flood beam patterns (wide beam) are for lighting the bed of a pickup or deck of a boat. A spot beam pattern (narrow beam) works better illuminating at a distance.

LED aux lights because they use minimal power, can be wired directly to the high beam bulb circuit to minimize switching, alternatively you can use a $2 relay.

~1200lm is the light output from a single H7 bulb
~3500lm is the light output from a single high quality aux light
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I think if I got the spotlight version would be better than flood. $60 wouldn't be too bad. After reading the reviews of these one big negative is they aren't very waterproof. Though for that price I wouldn't care if they only lasted a year. Prob good to get a quality mount at least.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...Mounts are made by Denali, Kawasaki or SW-Motech....
I made-up my own mounts for the Denali DMs I put onto my '15 650, by welding a piece onto the "spacer" for the front-lower crash-bar mounts from my SW-Motech crash-bars. [I 'lost' my pics of the INSTALL w/ the Photobucket debacle!]

You can get an idea of what I did from this pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0665 copy.JPG (263.8 KB, 44 views)
StormRider likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I made-up my own mounts for the Denali DMs I put onto my '15 650, by welding a piece onto the "spacer" for the front-lower crash-bar mounts from my SW-Motech crash-bars. [I 'lost' my pics of the INSTALL w/ the Photobucket debacle!]
Very cool. I do have access to a welder. hmmm.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
Very cool. I do have access to a welder. hmmm.
What I did was just take a small piece of flat steel, 'massage' it w/ a hammer so it had a bit of a "rounding" at one end, drilled a suitable hole for the Denali's mount in the OTHER end, then welded it to the roughly 1" long, round spacer (on the SW-Motech crash bars), then 'rattle-can' it black.

It is held by the bolt thru the spacer and the nut on the Denali from moving - once I set everything the way I wanted, then torqued those two to HOLD tight.
StormRider likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-06-2018 at 11:31 AM.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I ran the ones you bought. They are mediocre at best, but they actually work fairly well as cornering lights (pointed up and out). Issue I had was with the brackets. The brackets were **** and sheared apart within 5000 miles. FWIW they aren't designed for high vibration environments like the VERSYS.

If you like the style and output, move up to a JW speaker product and you will be very very impressed.
StormRider likes this.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARIAH View Post
If you're looking to see further down the road, don't get those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Those lights are going to be great for blinding yourself with. They are a very short range flood light. As such, they will only illuminate close to you and will ruin your night vision. .....
I agree with this sentiment. I tried some cheap LED driving lights a few years ago and encountered the same thing. At first it felt like "wow these add a light of light!" but really the light is too close to the bike, doesn't help to see stuff farther out, and actually is probably detrimental because having the ground so close to you lit up so bright reduces your long range vision.
Urbanengineer likes this.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I agree with this sentiment. I tried some cheap LED driving lights a few years ago and encountered the same thing. At first it felt like "wow these add a light of light!" but really the light is too close to the bike, doesn't help to see stuff farther out, and actually is probably detrimental because having the ground so close to you lit up so bright reduces your long range vision.
Is this true for the spot version also? I posted flood but probably would opt for the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
I ran the ones you bought. They are mediocre at best, but they actually work fairly well as cornering lights (pointed up and out). Issue I had was with the brackets. The brackets were **** and sheared apart within 5000 miles. FWIW they aren't designed for high vibration environments like the VERSYS.

If you like the style and output, move up to a JW speaker product and you will be very very impressed.
I will look for JW too, thanks! Sounds like I should def avoid the brackets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
What I did was just take a small piece of flat steel, 'massage' it w/ a hammer so it had a bit of a "rounding" at one end, drilled a suitable hole for the Denali's mount in the OTHER end, then welded it to the roughly 1" long, round spacer (on the SW-Motech crash bars), then 'rattle-can' it black.

It is held by the bolt thru the spacer and the nut on the Denali from moving - once I set everything the way I wanted, then torqued those two to HOLD tight.
Thanks Fast Eddie.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-06-2018 at 11:32 AM.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 04:01 PM

Garage
I bought a set of these to mount my Auxbeam lights. They DID NOT FIT as there just wasn't enough room betwee the crash bars and engine, etc. to fit them onto the bike.

I ended up going to home depot and buying two Simpson concrete form angles and a couple of u-bolts:

I cut the form angles in half, drilled out a couple of holes, and mounted them to the crash bars. Then painted them black and attached the lights. They have not moved a single bit since I installed them. Total cost for the mounts was about $15

I don't do a lot of back country night time driving. In the city, the Auxbeam spot/floods provide a lot of light to the sides and pretty far down the road. As others have said, I suspect that riding in complete darkness with the lights on might impact my downfield vision a bit.

I can take pics of how they look on the bars if anyone is interested.

For the on/off switch, mine came with double sided tape and I mounted it on the back side (inside) of my left handguard. It is very easy to reach out with my index finger and flip the lights on/off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simpson-strong-tie-joist-hangers-cf-r-64_1000.jpg (25.0 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg everbilt-u-bolts-806836-64_1000.jpg (18.9 KB, 389 views)

'09 Versys

Last edited by Jmason; 08-06-2018 at 04:04 PM.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
I cut the form angles in half, drilled out a couple of holes, and mounted them to the crash bars. Then painted them black and attached the lights. They have not moved a single bit since I installed them. Total cost for the mounts was about $15

I can take pics of how they look on the bars if anyone is interested.

For the on/off switch, mine came with double sided tape and I mounted it on the back side (inside) of my left handguard. It is very easy to reach out with my index finger and flip the lights on/off.
Great idea...yeah, I'd like to see the photos. I did use a U bolt mount for my heated grip control. They are solid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode