Mod questions for 2015 650 - safety and comfort for long journey - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 2 Post By chid
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Mod questions for 2015 650 - safety and comfort for long journey

OK, I hope it's OK to post a list like this.

I'm about to take my second long trip on the 2015 650. This has some of the suggestions I got. After spending some time noodling around the forums here, I'm not sure about some, and for others I don't have much of an idea. Would appreciate any help.

Based on the last journey, here's what I think I need:

1. Something done about the seat.

I was going get a Terry Adcox, but was overseas he's schedule got full. At 6'2", I really need to be able to slide back a bit more. (And I've been using a couple pieces of foam cut from a camping mat for my sit bones.)

2. Stronger headlamp.

I tried a few times with Revzilla. Finally someone recomended this. Not sure if it's right.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...conversion-kit

This thread makes me thing not:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...n3-2015-a.html

3. An extension for the windscreen.

The height thing again. My head just gets blasted.

I have a Puig windscreen. Revzilla suggested this:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-spoiler-blade

I'd have to get a clamp conversion. I couldn't figure out what size it was.

4. Better horn.

They suggested Denali Soundbomb Mini - seems like it'd work.

5. Panniers.

I currenlty have Tusk. They do a good job, but they're heavy, and I don't need bombproof panniers when I'm not going offroad. I want something lighter.

6. Grip pads

Something to make it gripping the tank a little better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0415.jpg (33.7 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:03 AM

Garage
Forget those headlight bulbs. The best on the market at this time are the F2 bulbs made by Evitech and sold by numerous companies such as Safego, Alla Lighting, JDM ASTAR, LED Eagle, etc. Do a search on Amazon, eBay, etc for the bulb type followed by "LED F2 headlight". The bulb will be all bare aluminium except for the black fan cover. The wiring will have a black and red braided cover with a round connector between the bulb and the power supply. Often the box is yellow.

The specs per bulb are 36W, 6000 lumens, 6500K, with very good focus and beam pattern.
onewizard likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:42 AM

I made the following mods regarding a couple of your questions. None were very expensive but nicely effective.

Recently added a second horn. I cannot believe the difference. It is really loud and sounds like an expensive European sports car now. Price tag...$12 and half an hours work.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ual-horns.html

This mod was the most expensive at $106 but worth every penny. I realize that windscreens are often a very personal matter. Having tried many brands on several different bikes I found the screens that work best are made by MRA. Once again I was not disappointed.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...indscreen.html

Although for me the stock seat is not bad compared to other bikes I have owned, I decided to make it more used friendly. Cost for this mod was the price of a couple dozen staples to re-install the seat cover. The difference in comfort level is significant.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t-tune-up.html

Good luck with your mods.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:11 AM

Instead of tank pads for my knees I went down a bit to place my home made knee pads.This was inspired by a very cold return through the N. Cascades in October.My knees were getting really cold by hugging the tank,and I was really hugging!I made them from sheet rubber and super glued them on.My knees don't touch the tank and that area below is warmed by the engine,it seems to transfer some heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knee pads.jpg (54.4 KB, 60 views)
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=KipPrdy;1576851]

1. Something done about the seat.

No, not really. You need to stop being so static on the seat and move and sit left, rigth, front, back, dangling leg, etc... Even the ninja seat was tolerable with some moving around. Don't waste money on this. The versys seat is actually pretty good.

2. Stronger headlamp.

No. You'll just blind yourself even more. Let your eyes adjust to dark. I'm a fan of the sylverstar ultra 2 which is legal and whiter. That's all you'll need. Leave one spare in the seat at all time (bubble wrapped).

3. An extension for the windscreen.

Honestly, get an adjustable windshield (tilt and height) like the madstad. You'l never need anything else and will never upgrade again and again and again....

4. Better horn.

I have that denali. It's better, but only in city. Still useless on highway.

5. Panniers.

Yes.

6. Grip pads

No.

Other comfort things:

-gocruise2 throttle lock
-motoworks highway pegs
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

MY suggestions:

1. raise the front of your seat;

2. I added some Denali DM lites, but the headlights (Gen 3) are NOT as good as the Gen 1 headlights IMHO (NO experience w/ Gen 2 lights);

3. NO idea (I'm happy w/ the OEM 'shield);

4. I use the WOLO Bad Boy (from H-F) on both my Vs - cheap and LOUD;

5. try soft bags; and

6. my knees grip on those "black filler" pieces BELOW the tank, which work well w/ the footpeg-lowering-blocks from Motowerk, lowering my knees a bit. I can't imagine how TALL you'd have to be to grip the tank w/ your knees....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:05 PM

Garage
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:24 PM

1. Raise the front and Airhawk; perfect, I just did almost 500km today, absolutely no fatigue on the rear part

2. dual bi-xenon projectors (I think the best light we can have )... but.... on the expensive side.....

3. Givi Airflow, the best wind screen in my opinion, it has a lip that compresses the air and pushes it above the head, create an impressive bubble (I'm 6ft and I can hear the engine at speeds well above limit)

4. Denali split sound bomb, scares everybody

5. OEM Panniers, I use them only on long, multi-days trips. Like that the installation is easy and when removed, bike looks really nice, no crazy support

6. never tried something for that

7. crumpbuster I wouldn't go on a long trip without it

8. highway pegs I made a support myself for about 30$, love it.

9. Sena for music

Enjoy!!

Versys 2015 Green
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
1. Raise the front and Airhawk; perfect, I just did almost 500km today, absolutely no fatigue on the rear part

2. dual bi-xenon projectors (I think the best light we can have )... but.... on the expensive side.....

3. Givi Airflow, the best wind screen in my opinion, it has a lip that compresses the air and pushes it above the head, create an impressive bubble (I'm 6ft and I can hear the engine at speeds well above limit)

4. Denali split sound bomb, scares everybody

5. OEM Panniers, I use them only on long, multi-days trips. Like that the installation is easy and when removed, bike looks really nice, no crazy support

6. never tried something for that

7. crumpbuster I wouldn't go on a long trip without it

8. highway pegs I made a support myself for about 30$, love it.

9. Sena for music

Enjoy!!
Do you have details on your homemade highway pegs and pictures? I have held off purchasing because they are so expensive (retired and on a budget)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 12:09 PM

To join the flood of opinions: I installed the Denali Soundbomb Mini in about 15 minutes (it took longer just because I was dying for caffeine and kept having to stop to swill out of my coffee cup, and I liked the end result. It doesn't sound like a train crossing, never will, but for a part for part swap I'm happy.

I'll stay out of the rest of the discussion except to say that the OEM power plug and the OEM heated grips are NOT worth the money.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 01:04 PM

Garage
Heres a few things i did..https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ys-1000-a.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 01:06 PM

Garage
Heated Grips....https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...ted-grips.html

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I agree w/ Joe on the KOSO heated grips - got a set on EACH of my Vs....

weljo2001 likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
Do you have details on your homemade highway pegs and pictures? I have held off purchasing because they are so expensive (retired and on a budget)
I was looking for some photos, not very clear, but here it is:

I bought a metal drilled piece from HomeDepot, used longer screws, I think I used 2 nuts to secure it on the other side (at least one side if I remember well), cut it to the length I needed, painted, installed the cheapo highway pegs and that's it!

I used them since last year, and I love them.
Sure, they don't compare with the Motowerk for adjustability and rigidity, but hey... I saved a lot of money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Highway pegs 1.jpg (105.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Highway pegs homemade.jpg (94.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg White face.jpg (89.3 KB, 50 views)
Urbanengineer and Buffalo_Bob like this.

Versys 2015 Green
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 03:07 PM

larger windscreen with spoiler to direct flow, handlebar risers, hand protectors, upgrade levers, upgrade headlights/running lights, throttle lock for hwy cruising, grip puppies, heated grips, raise front of seat with washers, sw motech luggage rack, hepco becker engine guard, alarm, 12volt/usb access, voltmeter to monitor alt/battery, radiator guard, steel brake lines, speedy lowering kit with big foot kickstand pad enlarger, fenda extenda, bend down lower lip of radiator fan housing where rock can catch and seize fan, drop rear sprocket to 44 teeth to make 1st gear useful and lower cruising rpm's, swing arm spools for stand, wire in for heated vest with auxiliary fuse box to make it easier to connect accessories, upgrade tires for "dual sport", givi top box, onewizard regulator mod to save stator, partial gustavo front fork mod, soft saddles and tail pack vs hard panniers, seriously adjust preload and rebound damping on rear shock and forks to soften harsh ride........i'm sure i forgot a few. just some ideas from what i've done over the years.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 03:56 PM

oh yeah, sintered brake pad upgrade too. cleaning/greasing the calipers, steel lines, ebc hh sintered pads, and higher end fluids really improved breaking. using lighter fork oil and lowering oil levels, with backing off preload and rebound really changed the ride. the only gustavo fork mod i didn't do was change the springs, which were at spec.

so much you can do to make your ride more comfortable, responsive, safer.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvous59 View Post
oh yeah, sintered brake pad upgrade too. cleaning/greasing the calipers, steel lines, ebc hh sintered pads, and higher end fluids really improved breaking. using lighter fork oil and lowering oil levels, with backing off preload and rebound really changed the ride. the only gustavo fork mod i didn't do was change the springs, which were at spec.

so much you can do to make your ride more comfortable, responsive, safer.
FIRST check your "sag", then set it for YOUR weight! [My 'sag' is 47mm.]

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:26 AM

Having just completed my own trip (5408 miles), here are the things I changed before the trip, and the things I will change before my next trip.

Before my trip:

Installed a National Cycle VStream Tall Touring Windscreen; this significantly reduced wind noise and coupled with ear plugs, I was able to ride with my face shield up for the majority of the trip: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...1000-2017-2018

Installed a Kaoko Trottle Lock; this saved my right hand and was worth every penny: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-lock-kawasaki

Mounted (totally the wrong word, but is really the only one that applies) a Nelson Rigg Tail Bag; this is a great bag that held 5 days of clothing, a spare pair of shoes for when I wasn't on the bike, all of my toiletries and any other thing I needed for the trip that wasn't a tool for working on the bike: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...jumbo-tail-bag

Mounted a Sena 30K system to my helmet; I was able to listen to music loaded onto my phone for more than 8 hours per day and receive turn by turn navigation too (this is a great deal and saves you about $50.00 per unit): https://www.amazon.com/Sena-30K-01D-...70_&dpSrc=srch

Installed a Cameleon Chain Oiler; because lubricating your chain every time you stop to fill up the tank is extremely tedious: https://www.amazon.com/Cameleon-Oile...70_&dpSrc=srch

Things I will change before my next trip:

Have seat redone for better padding; I had saddle sores because the seat wasn't soft enough. I have a local auto upholstery guy who will use marine grade, water resistant vinyl for the cover.

Find a heavier bar end weight for the left handle bar (my left hand is still tingling).

If you don't have them, i recommend bark busters too. They do a good job of keeping the bugs off your hands.

I learned to ride. It changed my life. Now I am a happier man.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies. I haven't even started - life got in the way, delaying everything for a month. But I'm going to be placing orders tonight.

One other question - I'm using RevZilla, but they've been surprisingly unhelpful. I just said, I want to order all these things, can you give me recommendations that would fit my bike. They responded with vague, "Um... this might work" type replies. One of the parts they recommended was wrong for my bike.

On another note, I'm really enjoying tooling around on it again. I think I'll enjoy it more if I can complete the homebrew seat mod - Just need to push back a little more, and get do away with the need to have a couple slices of camping mat on top of the seat for me sit bones.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
Forget those headlight bulbs. The best on the market at this time are the F2 bulbs made by Evitech and sold by numerous companies such as Safego, Alla Lighting, JDM ASTAR, LED Eagle, etc. Do a search on Amazon, eBay, etc for the bulb type followed by "LED F2 headlight". The bulb will be all bare aluminium except for the black fan cover. The wiring will have a black and red braided cover with a round connector between the bulb and the power supply. Often the box is yellow.

The specs per bulb are 36W, 6000 lumens, 6500K, with very good focus and beam pattern.
Just got my Safego F2 led lamps, trying low beam first and remove the https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forum...62-post90.html I have two from him, only installed one. First thing I like about the Safego is the driver is 9 to 32 VDC, much lower profile, more like a filament , has the same plugin configuration. exactly 36 watts , so the beam pattern is what I am hopping to improve on, the MK-3 has a totally different headlight from the MK-1 &2 .Will post once installed. Thanks Dave!!
16VGTIDave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in