• 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By unstable_rider
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By onewizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Auxiliary Flood Light Installation?

Hello all,

I purchased these fog/flood lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I'm being honest, I have next to no experience with electricity or lighting. But I wanted to add auxiliary lights that I can turn on and off with my high beam switch on my V650. I was talking to a guy for some advice on this irl today, and he said that this might prove to be dangerous for my bike because the wiring for the high beam is only made to support the electricity for that stock bike, and adding more to it, will burn it out.

The auxiliary lights are 16W and I was looking to get a second opinion on it, what should I expect when adding floodlights to my bike? Will they be compatible on my V650?

And then the bigger question, if this is possible.... how do I do it? What do I remove, open up, and add to get this working?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsRyderV View Post
Hello all,

I purchased these fog/flood lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I'm being honest, I have next to no experience with electricity or lighting. But I wanted to add auxiliary lights that I can turn on and off with my high beam switch on my V650. I was talking to a guy for some advice on this irl today, and he said that this might prove to be dangerous for my bike because the wiring for the high beam is only made to support the electricity for that stock bike, and adding more to it, will burn it out.

The auxiliary lights are 16W and I was looking to get a second opinion on it, what should I expect when adding floodlights to my bike? Will they be compatible on my V650?

And then the bigger question, if this is possible.... how do I do it? What do I remove, open up, and add to get this working?

Check out https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Huie...791111283.html which is what I have. They will turn night into day. I would look for lights that produce 3500lm each or more. Also narrow beam spot rather than wide beam flood lights. You do not want to use a flood pattern light for driving illumination as they do not project further down the road, but rather illuminate a wide area at a short distance. Flood lights work better as illumination for the bed of a pickup or cockpit of a boat. All head lights are spot pattern.

You will also need to purchase a light bracket from Twisted Throttle or similar source to mount these.

Since an advantage of LED is that it does not draw a lot of power you can power these directly from the high beam without blowing fuses. Alternatively a relay is only a dollar or two on ebay or aliexpress. Google relay schematic for the pin numbers.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:43 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
you can get a cheap relay and hook it right to the battery and then use the high beam as you trigger then it wont be creating a bunch of extra draw. personally i just added a handle bar mounted switch to turn mine on and off so i dont have to have high beams on it have them on

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 03:49 AM

Garage
All automotive relays use the same pin numbers and schematic. Pin 86 goes to Grd. Pin 87 powers the lights. Pin 85 goes to the POS lead of the high beam headlight.

unstable_rider likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-05-2018 at 03:58 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

I like those lights you sent, I think I'll have to return the ones I purchased and get those instead.

So if I'm understanding this correctly. I can wire my ground wire to pin 86 and then wire the positive wire to pin 87 so that both the high beam and auxiliary lights come on. My bike already has that, so what is the point of the 12v Relay & Socket? Is that if I wanted a different switch for my high beam and auxiliary lights?

Also, now that I've seen your pic of the lights, I'm starting to feel that insatiable hunger bikers get with lighting. What if I run the Amazon floodlights and the Huiermeimi lights; and use the floodlights for when I need to see more on the ground close to me, which is the case when it's pouring rain and I can't see anything. Or would using those Huiermeimi lights be killing two birds with one stone judging by how insanely powerful they look in that last picture on the website link.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:44 AM

My biggest problem on the Gen 1 is mounting. I have some great lights, but am on my second set of clamps, and had to take them off during my long ride last week. I have been mounting them to the forks, and they eventually vibrate themselves loose, even after using rubber mounts and some locktite. The small frame sliders I have do not have room for mounting, and I am tempted to get an engine guard just to be able to mount the light.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
My biggest problem on the Gen 1 is mounting. I have some great lights, but am on my second set of clamps, and had to take them off during my long ride last week. I have been mounting them to the forks, and they eventually vibrate themselves loose, even after using rubber mounts and some locktite. The small frame sliders I have do not have room for mounting, and I am tempted to get an engine guard just to be able to mount the light.
for my fork mount lights (on a gen 1) i used exhaust clamps and some bicycle inter tune to mount them and they haven't budged in the last 2+ years

yes im a guy.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Thanks Silvie. Shoot me a pic of your mount sometime.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Led Aux. Lights

First you may find that you would like to have the LED lights on during bright sunny days. I run my Denali on low beam through a auxiliary cct. that powers up the instant the key is on, this is independent of the main lighting, many advantages, even if you needed some lighting at the side of the road at night with just the key on, 16 watts is a lot less than 55 watts on low or 110 watts on high.below is my post in this thread http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...letronics.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/1557562-post4.html
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Great topic.

For those that may be running SW Motech crash bars, these ring mounts are great.

Made by PIA, sold by RevZilla: not cheap, but effective.

They come with some different size bushings to accommodate other diameter-variations

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...al-bracket-kit

I have used these lights with great success. They are on their 4th summer thus far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are about actual size here in comparison to the image I scaled:

Lots of adjustment between the hardware that comes with the lights and then the rings give you more adjustment yet.

Just what has worked for me...

I mostly count on them as a daytime running light, yet they are quite effective and easily re-directed or aimed for night driving.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 06-05-2018 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Added more pics
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 06:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Thanks Silvie. Shoot me a pic of your mount sometime.
sorry my camera kinda sucks but here it is. like i said i just used the U shaped exhaust clamps and some inner-tube to mount mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180605_164136.jpg (41.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20180605_164119.jpg (50.9 KB, 51 views)

yes im a guy.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:27 AM

Garage
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:57 AM

Garage
Hello guys, I have several questions about wiring my U7 LED fog lights on V650 2016.
Since U7 fog lights have angel eye function I was wondering can I connect wire (+) from angel eye directly to wire from city lights? Other positive wire is for main beam and I am planing to connect wire to wire from headlight low beam. Also, I got switch with two positive wires and one negative.

Need your advice, can I connect fog lights in that order and if not please tell me how. Also how can I connect switch?
Thanks in advance

Here are link of fog lights:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-CREE-U...72.m2749.l2649

Kawasaki Versys 650
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:44 PM

Onewizard must get a kick out of following along with all us backyard electricians!Im with him,you need a dual power switch and use the low setting for running lights.Minimal power draw,daytime running lights.These LEDs last a long time especially at low setting,no heat.I wired mine in to the aux.circuit with the wires provided stock for the OEM aux. lights on the bike.Mine are 18 watt,3600 Lumen per side.On full will blind oncoming drivers and give LED a bad name.I save the full power setting as a treat for bad drivers and night driving on totally dark roads.Or setting up my camping gear in the dark with the bike off.I made my own dual power switch with a $1 resistor.I also use LED turn signals and introduced a low level current to the fronts via a resistor so they are amber running lights,ala Honda.Lights are there,use them.Light up the face of your bike,might keep you from getting hit!And Ive grown to love the simplicity of the one headlight low beam system,thats Kawi.Got to get in there and crank the adjustment settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front lighting aux. circuit.jpg (32.6 KB, 44 views)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Electrical 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaklucas View Post
Onewizard must get a kick out of following along with all us backyard electricians!Im with him,you need a dual power switch and use the low setting for running lights.Minimal power draw,daytime running lights.These LEDs last a long time especially at low setting,no heat.I wired mine in to the aux.circuit with the wires provided stock for the OEM aux. lights on the bike.Mine are 18 watt,3600 Lumen per side.On full will blind oncoming drivers and give LED a bad name.I save the full power setting as a treat for bad drivers and night driving on totally dark roads.Or setting up my camping gear in the dark with the bike off.I made my own dual power switch with a $1 resistor.I also use LED turn signals and introduced a low level current to the fronts via a resistor so they are amber running lights,ala Honda.Lights are there,use them.Light up the face of your bike,might keep you from getting hit!And Ive grown to love the simplicity of the one headlight low beam system,thats Kawi.Got to get in there and crank the adjustment settings.
Actually I used a single pole single throw waterproof switch that came with the Denali lights, changed the pin configuration, I don't like throwing away perfectly good parts and buying a 2pdt, maintained waterproof switch. I had the DENALI 2.0 DataDim Dual Intensity Controller, plug and play, I reconfigured the pins so low beam is connected to the switched power and high beam is the included illuminated switch.

illuminated switch is the Denali high beam "on" , located beside the Oxford controller, very easy to find in the dark to turn off, directly above my OEM high beam. Frequently I am running the Denali on high at night in all traffic, as they are both set as spots, focused on the center right and far right ( ditch) to give advanced warning of Moose or Deer. Since they are mounted slightly lower than the headlight, they act also as fog lights. I have never had anyone flash their lights on approach at night with the Denali , I struggled to justify the expense $$$$$, I am going to say, well worth it!! I have roughly 200 hours on them now.

One other thing, in this day of electronics and China, a resistor is now a expensive and crude way of going, you can buy a PWM ( pulse width modulated )switch for $3 to $5
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-8A-L...wAAOSwnHZYS4Z4,
a adjustable 3 wire electronic flasher for $3 from China. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CF14-3-Pin-...0AAOSwA1pavL9p

illuminated switch is the Denali high beam "on" , located beside the Oxford controller

Last edited by onewizard; 06-07-2018 at 07:08 PM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 09:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Check out https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Huie...791111283.html which is what I have. They will turn night into day. I would look for lights that produce 3500lm each or more. Also narrow beam spot rather than wide beam flood lights. You do not want to use a flood pattern light for driving illumination as they do not project further down the road, but rather illuminate a wide area at a short distance. Flood lights work better as illumination for the bed of a pickup or cockpit of a boat. All head lights are spot pattern.

You will also need to purchase a light bracket from Twisted Throttle or similar source to mount these.

Since an advantage of LED is that it does not draw a lot of power you can power these directly from the high beam without blowing fuses. Alternatively a relay is only a dollar or two on ebay or aliexpress. Google relay schematic for the pin numbers.
Hey twowheel

60 watt (30 each) is a considerable amount of current ... especially for a led
Kind of defeats the advantage of using led VS halogene

Is their an error on the add ?

LOP
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Hey twowheel

60 watt (30 each) is a considerable amount of current ... especially for a led
Kind of defeats the advantage of using led VS halogene

Is their an error on the add ?

LOP
I have not measured the wattage but I have found I have no issues running these directly off of the high beam circuit without a relay. I purchased a relay but did not bother to install it due to laziness and the fact these work find without it. Light output is fantastic and better than my car on high beam. Only issue is that for the past year or two all my nighttime riding has been in the big city were there are streetlights and these are not needed If someone does a lot of riding at night without streetlights though I can't think of a better mod.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-08-2018 at 10:10 AM.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 08:00 AM

Garage
Hello guys, I finaly installed my engine guards and led lights today. In the link down bellow you will see how it looks now, also, in the video is my wiring scheme and links to lights I used. Cheers

Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in