Fluorescent foil - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By Gigitt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fluorescent foil

I believe in being seen on my bike and everyone that rides in traffic knows what I mean.People in cars can look right at you and then pull out in front of you.I ride bicycle as well,even less respect there.Since I have a black Versys this is even more profound.I found some black reflective foil from 3M,the stuff you see on emergency vehicles.You can cut it in any shape you want with a sharp razor knife any design on a flat panel.In the day it looks almost seamless with the black paint,It comes in different colours,I guess with other color bikes it would be a visual experiment...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fluorescent 1.jpg (31.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Fluorescent 2.jpg (10.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Fluorescent 3.jpg (30.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Fluorescent 4.jpg (39.9 KB, 62 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Where you find that then (someone will ask...) ?

I have seen some sold here and there for use on the back of semi trailers and stuff, you have a favorite source?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

3M,look for a distributor in your area on their website.It comes in a sheet off a roll.Here it was a sign shop if I remember.Its expensive stuff so I use a brand new blade when you I cut it,made a model out of paper first.Dont want trial and error!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 04:59 PM

While I haven't used them personally, there are quite a few options available at Reflective Tape - ReflectivelyYOURS.com

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

I needed wide pieces for my purpose so I bought a couple of square feet
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Please make sure that you follow you local laws for Front/Side/Rear marker tape.

Some laws in states counties and countries only the following colours can be used:

Front : White/Silver
Side : Yellow/Orange
Rear : Red

Some times there a caviates to the colours used like if the reflective tape is in an alternating Chevron Pattern etc.

Remember this is a safety device.
Having White reflective tape on the rear of your bike can confuse oncomming cars thinking you are in the wrong lane!
Lours_Polaire likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 08:08 AM

Garage
They sell black reflective tape on Amazon in rolls and in sheets, as well as every other color imaginable. They've even got some strips that are designed to go around the edge of the wheel so that both sides of both wheels are reflective -- I've been tempted to get those, as I like the fact that the wheel shape at least makes it quick for a driver to figure out what they are looking at.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Good point on the reflective color,mine reflects white and in conjunction with my added added extra red running and brake lights is okay I think.Makes red and white,acceptable.I have converted my front turn signals to amber running lights and have amber running lights on the side of the bike as well.Running lights colors here are red on the rear,amber or white on the front,and amber on the side.Could use tape that reflects red on the rear to be proper.My bike is black and wanted the non reflective daylight color to match the bike..
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Garage
just bought one inch wide black reflective tape for the rear of my saddlebags and maybe a couple other spots.Want to make myself more noticeable in the dark. Glad I saw this posting.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:26 AM

Garage
Oh, and the bags are stock black on my 17 Versys 650 LT. I don`t want the stripes to stand out during daytime.

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Heres my rear daylight, and rear twilight with running lights,no brake....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my rear daylight.jpg (75.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg rear fluorescent with running lights no brake.jpg (24.7 KB, 36 views)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:33 PM

I personally like reflective tape that gives cage drivers something to aim at...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I got some 6" wide 3M tape pieces from a HD online stroe a few years ago and have it on parts of the rear of my Givi bags.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I move side to side in my lane. It helps people recognize that I am moving and closer than they first thought. I also use more active lighting than passive lighting.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 12:57 AM

My yellow commuter bicycle has blinky lights and is covered in yellow 3M reflective tape, white tape facing forward. Very visible (assuming drivers have lights on). Plus of course my yellow vest / coats. In my car I had a motorcycle cross sideways in front of me a few blocks ahead at night and they had no side reflectors and were barely visible, so I put a few small black reflective 3M pieces of tape on the side engine guards of my Versys 650 for that very situation (although I also have the factory side fork and rear reflectors). I saw your pictures in the photos posts a few days ago and liked the mirror idea so I promptly ran out and put some black reflective tape on my mirrors facing forward. High up and wide, reflects white, facing forward, hidden black-on-black in the day. There are some valid points about the legal color and direction of reflective tape you pick; I have red, yellow, white, and black (reflects white, if a bit dimmer than the actual white tape) but there are no doubt other colors. Red and white are available in most auto parts stores, the other colors are easily found on the interwebs. 3M stuff is fantastic of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode