Bar risers? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Bar risers?

I'm tempted to get bar risers for my bike, but I'm curious if anyone knows or has noticed a change in the felt vibration in their hands? My index and middle finger on my right hand tend to go numb in less than 10 minutes most of the time. I'm guessing its partially due to the angle of my arms/wrists as well as posture. If I let that hand drop while at a stop light, the numbness goes away, but comes back pretty quickly. I have nerve issues so it may just be something I have to live with. After about 15 minutes of steady riding, I don't notice it because I can't feel those fingers anymore, but it hasn't seemed to affect my ability to stop when I've had to.

I understand that Rox gives you 2 ways to "adjust" the bars while something like Moto Werk moves the bars more back and up, but doesn't really allow much "adjustment" to the angle. Thoughts? Suggestions? I have a 2009 650.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this has been covered like so many other topics like seats and stators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:37 PM

Garage
I put the MotoWerk Anti-Vibe Bar Risers on my 09. It helped a lot with the vibes...https://motowerk.com/collections/kaw...nt=16011421251

You might want to check out HVMP weighted bar ends i put some extra heavy ones on my FJR and they did the trick...Kawasaki bar ends

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:51 PM

Garage
I have the combo of the 2" ROX Pivot risers AND the Motoworks spacer. They work perfectly and give you ample adjustment possibilities.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 PM

Garage
How about getting some Grab-ons. https://www.grabongrips.com They work for me.

Randy
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjaco View Post
How about getting some Grab-ons. https://www.grabongrips.com They work for me.

Randy
Interesting idea, but I have Oxford heated grips and I can't imagine riding without them. Since I plan to do some "dual sport" riding on my V, I need to be able to stand and not break my wrist with the throttle. Kind of hard to stand with factory handlebar setup and keep up speed.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 07:26 PM

Garage
Lol, not much need for heated grips in Southeast Texas. I keep forgetting that most of ya'll live in cold county.
Randy
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:28 AM

I have the Rox on my 2015 V650. I used to get numb hand, especially the right hand. The angle of the bars is part of the problem, which can't really be fixed without bending or replacing the bar itself. Another contributing factor could be the angle of your elbow and/or wrist. I found it seems to help if I wrap my hand forward before grabbing the throttle so that my wrist is back to a neutral position when riding. I've wondered too if a too tight glove through the wrist area might contribute?

Anyhow, I don't seem to have nearly as much numbness problem at all after putting on the risers. But I think there are multiple factors.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyou83 View Post
...I understand that Rox gives you 2 ways to "adjust" the bars while something like Moto Werk moves the bars more back and up, but doesn't really allow much "adjustment" to the angle....
I have 2" ROX RISERS on each of my Vs. You have INFINITE ways to adjust them, as opposed to the MotoWerk ones which ONLY move the bars UP and TOWARDS you on the same angle as the factory "bar-riser".

For me - I have the bars DIRECTLY above the OEM position, which is GREAT for riding standing on the 'pegs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly-Sig View Post
...The angle of the bars is part of the problem, which can't really be fixed without bending or replacing the bar itself....
Try VERY slightly changing the bar-angle by rotating them a SMALL amount either away from, or towards you. As little as 5 degrees will make a HUGE difference!

Learned that years ago on BIG RED, my '08.

Fly-Sig, 16VGTIDave and StormRider like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 12:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaJeff View Post
I have the combo of the 2" ROX Pivot risers AND the Motoworks spacer. They work perfectly and give you ample adjustment possibilities.
Got a similar riser on order (not a Rox) . Just wonder if cable length is ok and no special adjustments needed?

[B]Once you go PACK you never go back
]
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 10:26 PM

Garage
Ok I just found the Rox website and they say stock cables work ok on the Kawasaki Versys 650.

]
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 09:54 AM

Garage
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...d=974148519022
Here are my Rox Risers on order off Ebay. :-)

]
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 11:03 AM

Garage
Heads up notyou83. Sometimes just wearing a thicker glove can solve vibration/numbness problems. If you can sacrifice sweaty hands try big thick gloves. I have the same problem and noticed a big difference when wearing these gloves by bilt: https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-...gaAgGSEALw_wcB

You will never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychologist office!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

You gotta love the last pic in the set on the ebay link. Ape hangers in background, bar risers in foreground. LMAO.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Got a similar riser on order (not a Rox) . Just wonder if cable length is ok and no special adjustments needed?
ROX is right. OEM cables work great!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 08:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...d=974148519022
Here are my Rox Risers on order off Ebay. :-)
Ok , got these on and they seem fine quality at a big savings over the Rox.

]
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:02 PM

Garage
Rox risers

Do the Rox risers for the Versys 1000 fit the 650 also ???

Poor planning on your part, doesn't constitute an emergency on mine!
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by okinawa85 View Post
Do the Rox risers for the Versys 1000 fit the 650 also ???
As long as the ROX RISERS are 7/8" at BOTH positions (can be BIGGER as long as you have the small 'fillers' that bring it down to 7/8) - YES.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:35 PM

I have 3 1/2" Rox risers on my 15' (you have to re-route the clutch cable) and foam Grip Buddies and it is quite comfortable.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

I like my Oxford heated grips so I don't know that the foam grips would work well in the winter/colder times, but still a nice idea to consider when hits warm. Hadn't thought of that before.

JimK, let me know how those hold up after you drop the bike on them. I've read horror stories from the cheap ones on amazon from drops, but not one bad thing about Rox. I'm willing to spend the extra cost for piece of mind.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:21 PM

Have you looked into a crampbuster? I run one on mine and it all but eliminates any numbness or cramping of my throttle hand by letting me keep a looser grip on the throttle. It's also super cheap too.

If anything the vibration on the 1st gen V pretty much breaks you of having a death grip on the bars haha, I was annoyed by it when I first got mine having had a 4 cylinder bike previously, but now I don't even notice it, the peg vibration is another story though and is what is pushing me to want to upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode