who make a shock - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
who make a shock

who makes a rear shock for the Versys..??? Does Penske make one ??

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Lots of us have fitted modified Yamaha R1 shocks. Try "SEARCH".

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM

HyperPro makes several shocks for the V. I got a shock that is fully adjustable, including both high and low speed compression damping, rebound damping and pre-load.
It also lowered the seat-height by 50 mm (two inches), which I needed. In addition, the ride was greatly improved. It's pricy but does a fine job.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistrick View Post
who makes a rear shock for the Versys..??? Does Penske make one ??

Dan
Ohlins make one specifically designed for the Versys, as opposed to modified to fit. I believe there may also be others. Check the UK Versys forum as well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 07:59 AM

Elka does custom shock for the versys too. All I can say is no more catapults, very satisfied with the riding quality now. It's 5 way adjustable, any changes can be done in seconds with simple clicks, tool only required for preload. Purchased in Boucherville,Quebec ,total was 1250$. I know that there was a group buy on this site before and a few complaints about spring rate. Mine came with a 950lbs Eibach and it works well solo and 2up also.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra View Post
Elka does custom shock for the versys too. All I can say is no more catapults, very satisfied with the riding quality now. It's 5 way adjustable, any changes can be done in seconds with simple clicks, tool only required for preload. Purchased in Boucherville,Quebec ,total was 1250$. I know that there was a group buy on this site before and a few complaints about spring rate. Mine came with a 950lbs Eibach and it works well solo and 2up also.
Hey Ultra

Did you have a choice for the shock, or was it what was installed on the system when you purchased it and you had to live with it ?
And you went directly in the shop in boucherville ?

LOP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 AM

No it wasn't installed, I've purchased it recently. Yes went to Boucherville , ordered it and picked it up there. I didn't want to go down the R1 way ( definitely cheaper though), and knew that this would be tuned to my weight and usage so rather than looking Ohlins , Penske went with Elka. No regrets.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM

I put a yacugar shock on my V and have been pleased. As I understand, they are the WP folks who didn't want to leave Holland when that company left for Austria.

CJ

http://www.yacugar.com/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Yes Penske makes one.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
HyperPro makes several shocks for the V. I got a shock that is fully adjustable, including both high and low speed compression damping, rebound damping and pre-load.
It also lowered the seat-height by 50 mm (two inches), which I needed. In addition, the ride was greatly improved. It's pricy but does a fine job.
2 inch drop is significant... must definitely prevent you from sliding into the tank.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 05:20 PM

Toofer
The two-inch drop works very well (very comfortable) for me. HyperPro will make any amount of lowering you want - up to 50mm. I also lowered the front (50mm) by installing HyperPro 30mm lowering, progressive fork-springs; and then raising the forks another 20mm. The bike rides extremely well - very comfortable - much, much better than OEM.

I also lowered the seat height an additional two inches by removing all the stock foam from the front (rider) portion, and placing an AirHawk R cushion on top, with minimum air. I've tried several dozen seats and seat mods. This combination is the most comfortable, by far. Total cost is just the AirHawk cushion at $160 plus shipping.

The rider sag is 50mm (recommended by HyperPro) and that gives me about a 28" seat height when I'm sitting on the bike. Very nice for my 29" inseam. Combined with Pilot Road 3 tires, this is a great ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode