Hand guards of cheap? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hand guards for cheap?

Anyone using these? I'm just looking for wind protection so the single point mounting's not a worry for me Just wondering if you had any trouble mounting them. I have a 2012. And as a side bar do the stickers peel off? At under $50.00 They look like they'll do what I want.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Anyone using these? I'm just looking for wind protection so the single point mounting's not a worry for me Just wondering if you had any trouble mounting them. I have a 2012. And as a side bar do the stickers peel off? At under $50.00 They look like they'll do what I want.

Where did you find these?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

They'er on the Iron Pony web Site.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydire...IRT%20PRODUCTS

I live close by so am going to run over today and check them out and maybe pick up a set.

There is NO alu backbone like the Barkbusters have, But like I said I just wind them for wind and bugs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 AM

Thanks, they look like it'll help take the chill from the hands. Let us know how they fit
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 AM

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

The problem I had with this set up on my KLR is that there's a nut welded in the handle bar for the bar end weight that won't let the spud on the hand guard bar fit in without a lot of work. Maybe not all of this type are like the ones I had, don't know.

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
The problem I had with this set up on my KLR is that there's a nut welded in the handle bar for the bar end weight that won't let the spud on the hand guard bar fit in without a lot of work. Maybe not all of this type are like the ones I had, don't know.
It's just a small weld holding that in. I cut mine off my KLX250 in about 30 seconds per side with a sawzall.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Well I rode over and picked up a pair. I paid a bit more in the store than mail ordering would have been but still way cheaper than a set of the factory ones.

They are OK not great but work. It took a bit of messing around to get them on and I was missing a screw in the package, I had one one hand.

They can be mounted either over the bar or under, over works best here to clear the fairing. You will need to move the leavers in about 5/8" as the little arms mount between the leavers and switch/throttle housing.

They clear everything lock to lock and I'll pull the stickers off latter. Not to bad for the price paid BUT remember without a backbone if you dump your bike you'll likely still break a leaver. I was only looking for wind and bug protection.

They don't look too bad. BUT After I pull the stickers off they'll look better.

You can see the mounting arm running over the bar. I needed to mount them like this the clear the leavers.

Here you can see what I mean about them going between the leaver mount and the switch/throttle housing.

I pulled off the sticker and the plastic had a sparklely finish like the paint! Good if you have a black 2012 as it matches the paint.

Crappy photo but the hand guards blend in better without the stickers. As I was short a screw in the pack I just bought a handful of SS screws so they will all match. A little Lock-Tite and it's good to go.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-30-2012 at 04:55 PM.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 05:08 PM

Looks great I will try them on my 09 thanks for the heads up
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 AM

Hey time,

I'm also in the market for some handguards but don't need/want the aluminum backbone type. Which model are these?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:

I have bark buster hand guards. IMO they don't offer much in the way of wind protection but do offer great tip over protection, especially if they are the kind with an aluminum backbone that attaches on both ends.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Banned

Great Heads up!
Some are simply looking for windscreens for the hands,
not bark busting capabilities.

Quote:
They'er on the Iron Pony web Site.

I live close by so am going to run over today and check them out and maybe pick up a set.

There is NO alu backbone like the Barkbusters have, But like I said I just wind them for wind and bugs.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBouncer5150 View Post
Hey time,

I'm also in the market for some handguards but don't need/want the aluminum backbone type. Which model are these?
Sorry I was at work and they don't take kindly to us surfin' the web. But here a link to the DX that I got.

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Thanks Time, have a set on order.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBouncer5150 View Post
Thanks Time, have a set on order.
Good deal they do help keep the chill off in the morning. NOT going to save your levers is you dump the bike though.

I found it easiest to remove the levers to mount the guards then reinstall the levers. Only a couple screws each. Also you want to mount the guards with the brackets on top of the bars to clear the master cylnder. The instructions will show you how it works but if you have any questions just give a shout.

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 AM

Sounds good Time, I should have them early this week and intend to put them on as soon as I get them.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Will these fit??

Anybody know if these handguards will fit the older generation V? I have 07 model.
Thanks
Rob

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrob View Post
Anybody know if these handguards will fit the older generation V? I have 07 model.
Thanks
Rob
Rob, I can't say 100% but I don't see why the wouldn't fit your '07, they're a unversial type of thing. The only need about 5/8" gap to mount between the leaver and switch housing and you can either mount them with the bracket under the bar or over. I have lots of clearance lock to lock on the windshield and they clear the fairing just fine as well.

BUT if you want to be 100% sure they'll fit you can mail your bike to me and I'll try the set I bought on it!

Really they should fit without a problem.

2012 650 Versys
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 07:49 AM

Thanks Time.. MY bike is in the mail!!!!!

I love the humor here sometimes.... makes me laugh out loud.. I have a stressful job and reading things on here helps sometimes..
Thanks for the info...I will begin my search for these handguards on internet. Shipping costs to Newfoundland are terribly expensive.
Have a great day.

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrob View Post
Thanks Time.. MY bike is in the mail!!!!!

I love the humor here sometimes.... makes me laugh out loud.. I have a stressful job and reading things on here helps sometimes..
Thanks for the info...I will begin my search for these handguards on internet. Shipping costs to Newfoundland are terribly expensive.
Have a great day.
My experience with the humor amongst "down-homers", is that you guys were issued LOTS!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode