Tank grip pads... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tank grip pads...

You are thinking Stomp grips or Gripster or Techspec, yea? Although i wished they did have pre-cut tank grips for the Versys but fact is, they did not deem the Versys to be sporty enough to need tank grip pads.

Well i do. I find gripping the tank gave me better control and maneuverability. But gripping it too much left the tank sides all scratched and dull. Plus, the so-called tank knee pads does not help in gripping the tank at all.

I almost dropped the dough on ebay for a Techspec universal sheet (one big piece of tank grip pad, cut your own. http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/120856119...84.m1438.l2649) until i happen to see this at a local 100 store (kinda like dollar store at the states)

Now that got me thinking. It's cheap and i could give it a shot. Two pads of that costs 1/10th of the Techspec sheet, and i havent even factor in the shipping charge. So with some double sided adhesive tapes, here goes my cheapo fugly tank grips!

Will give it a try on some twisties over the weekend and see if this thing work or not.

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low

Last edited by andrewhtf; 09-20-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 AM

Those really don't look like they belong on the bike, at least to my eye. Maybe they'll work as you want them to, and hey, you can't see them from where you're sitting!
Stomp does make custom grip pads for the KLR (there goes the "not sporty enough" theory); maybe the tank is similar enough on the ER6F (Ninja 650) that they felt a special Versys pad was unnecessary.
You can email them for a suggestion for your Versys- email [email protected]
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 12:56 PM

Always been a big fan of tech-specs on all my bikes. But on the Versys I just dont feel the need for it, as I don't really grip on the tank because of ergonomics. I'll put a tank protector in the middle, but thats it.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
My knees grip those black plastic bits BELOW the tank.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
Those really don't look like they belong on the bike, at least to my eye. Maybe they'll work as you want them to, and hey, you can't see them from where you're sitting!
Stomp does make custom grip pads for the KLR (there goes the "not sporty enough" theory); maybe the tank is similar enough on the ER6F (Ninja 650) that they felt a special Versys pad was unnecessary.
You can email them for a suggestion for your Versys- email [email protected]
yeah i know. I've looked at both and their tank are shaped differently. I still can use the er6/650r tank grip pads from stomp grips but similar to this diy pads, it'd look odd. None the less i do agree that it doesn't belong to the bike, i had thoughts of cutting it to shape, but that would be later on. As of now i am trying out how long can the adhesive lasts, and whether the pad surface can last from constant rubbing. Hey it's cheap to try. If it doesn't last I'm prepared to buy a techspec anyway.

- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawa007 View Post
Always been a big fan of tech-specs on all my bikes. But on the Versys I just dont feel the need for it, as I don't really grip on the tank because of ergonomics. I'll put a tank protector in the middle, but thats it.
not that i need it, really. But it's nice to have. Further after upgrading the front brakes, coupled with the seat netting thing, i would slide forward to the tank whenever hard braking is applied. Some friction to stop the slide sure help keep my butt planted.

Up next :
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
My knees grip those black plastic bits BELOW the tank.
Yup, noticed that there's unused portion of the pad on top during my commute this morning. I can reposition it to cover the black panels too, in line with where my thigh touches.

I didnt do it earlier bcoz i dont want to remove the pads each time i remove the cowlings. Maybe I'll cut it into 2 parts, but as i said earlier, later on.

Up next :
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewhtf View Post
not that i need it, really. But it's nice to have. Further after upgrading the front brakes, coupled with the seat netting thing, i would slide forward to the tank whenever hard braking is applied. Some friction to stop the slide sure help keep my butt planted.
Andrew, what are your thoughts about the seat netting? More comfortable for long rides? Seat less hot after being out in the sun? Drains water better?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Made no difference to me other than being alot more slippier. But the pillion likes it thats why it stays on.

Up next :
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

An update :
pros - it works, though not as well as i hoped for but yes it still served its purpose. I noticed that i gripped the tank more than usual especially in heavy traffic where filtering and sudden braking is required. In the mountain twisties i get to shift my butt and hang off without worrying about slipping off.

Cons - could use a rougher surface for more friction. But i cant expect much from this 3usd anti-slip pad. They were not meant as tank grips anyway. Oh, and after a day long in the twisties and morning work commute, the adhesive fails. Tank got warm, the adhesive got slippery and the pad displaced slightly. Will pull it off, clean with wd40 and put on 3m double sided tape instead. I dont think it will be any much more comfortable though, bcoz this 3m tape is thicker.

Up next :

Last edited by andrewhtf; 09-24-2012 at 09:22 PM.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 PM

For anyone interested, you can call Tech Spec and get a set of pads. They have a pattern created by a customer but they can duplicate it. Comes with panels for the tank, and two extra panels with stronger adhesive that go on the plastic right below the tank. There are multiple buckle protectors that will work based on your preference.

This is the pic they sent me.

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vospertw View Post
For anyone interested, you can call Tech Spec and get a set of pads. They have a pattern created by a customer but they can duplicate it. Comes with panels for the tank, and two extra panels with stronger adhesive that go on the plastic right below the tank. There are multiple buckle protectors that will work based on your preference.

This is the pic they sent me.

Hey now that is nice!

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Hey, that looks leaps and bounds better!

Up next :
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 PM

Those tech spec pads will probably be my next purchase! I didn't think I would be able to get them for the versys because I doubted their ability to stick to that black plastic, good to know they have a kit for it!

I have them on my ninja 250 and I'd say other than replacing the stock rear shock the tech specs were the best bang for the buck of all my upgrades.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 PM

I haven't mounted the strips on my plastic yet; I was waiting to see if I really needed it there. Turns out my legs probably contact that plastic more than anything so will be putting them on soon. According to Tech Spec, they use a more aggressive adhesive to stick to the plastic. Downside is that those pieces will not be reusable if you take it off later because of the nature of the adhesive. I asked if the adhesive would mar the plastic and they said no, it will come right off. The pieces on the tank have the same cool adhesive as you have on your Ninja. I like the product too; this is the third bike I've had with their pads installed.

BTW, they have a nice military discount if that would apply to anyone here, retired or active duty.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 11:41 PM

Well I can't think of any reason I'd need to take them off so that doesn't bother me.

Please post up pics when you install it on the plastic!
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i emailed them and got the same photos. He mentioned that it will fit both 1st gen and 2nd gen versyses, and comes with all 3 types of surface materials they had available.

Tempting at 55usd, but when factor in the cost of shipping to my country, buying this thing has to be put on hold for now.

Up next :
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Grip pads arent worth it on a Versys. I had them on many of my naked bikes (Speed Triple, FZ8, for example) where breaking power is more intense and where your knees actually grab the tank. In those cases the tech-spec are really awesome. On the Versys you can't really grip with your knees because of the ergonomics. So do it for looks if you want, but for function there's no real gain to be made on this bike imho.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Kawa007, i had modded my brakes and with the bike front end diving faster, these el cheapo knee pads does help.

Up next :
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM

the other benefit would be apparent in the colder months. Sometimes the tank is just too dang cold to place my legs snugly up against it comfortably. The rubber wouldn't transfer the heat as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode