A knockoff muffler? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A knockoff muffler?

Has anyone dared to try a knockoff import slip on muffler? Do you know anyone who has?
I've found listings for these mufflers on Ebay, they're about 1/4 the price. If they're comparable in quality, it might make sense. They're promising a "2-5 horsepower increase."

Good idea? Bad idea?
Any other knockoff parts floating around? Are they ever any good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:28 PM

The only one I ever saw was junk. Cheaply made, didn't fit and wasn't worth a penney IMHO.

I can't say they're all like that just the one I saw.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
just my thought
If you don't like the sound...do what makes it sound happy to you
Want to add 2-5 hp.....why bother??

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

I'm more concerned about sound than horsepower. But I'm not sure, maybe these knockoffs have a sound like a soup can full of angry bees.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 04:21 PM

I would avoid the knock-offs. Why bother with them? This is your BABY we're talking about! I got a nice 2bros exhaust off someone on this forum, normally around $350, for only $100. Just keep your eye out for a good deal, don't waste your time with crap.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 PM

Lots of people have tried the Danmoto ones. Seems like if you realize you get what you pay for most people are happy. You aren't going to see any significant HP gain though. Do a search on here. I remember a decent thread about them.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:57 PM

Another exhaust thread! I post this in every one for good info and to promote my channel, korysrides. youtube.com/korysrides and facebook.com/korysrides

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 PM

I have a Danmoto pipe with the additional difuser for about 3000km now, and really like the sound. It is loud, but has a very deep tone. It has good craftmanship, better than my Twobros carbon fibre cans I had on my TL100S. It mounted easily, can't say I notice any more power. I do wear earplugs, but I find the noise from the wind and the chain are the most obnoxious part of my ride, not the exhaust. My TL used to set off car alarms at my work underground, but my Versys has yet to set any off. It doesn't sound as good as my TL, but not much did. My wife doesn't mind it, thinks it's safer cause cars do actually hear us. Less than $200 Canadian to my door and has no flaws as of yet. Haven't tried it without the optional difuser, but it would be loud!
Dave
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvman50 View Post
I have a Danmoto pipe with the additional difuser for about 3000km now, and really like the sound. It is loud, but has a very deep tone. It has good craftmanship, better than my Twobros carbon fibre cans I had on my TL100S. It mounted easily, can't say I notice any more power. I do wear earplugs, but I find the noise from the wind and the chain are the most obnoxious part of my ride, not the exhaust. My TL used to set off car alarms at my work underground, but my Versys has yet to set any off. It doesn't sound as good as my TL, but not much did. My wife doesn't mind it, thinks it's safer cause cars do actually hear us. Less than $200 Canadian to my door and has no flaws as of yet. Haven't tried it without the optional difuser, but it would be loud!
Dave

Is this the one you have? http://www.dan-moto.com/DM_US/er6-ve...oduct-412.html

Have any pictures of the pipe on your bike?

Thanks!

May the road always curve in front of you.

Last edited by Zatx; 09-12-2012 at 06:54 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM

No, the model I bought is the titanium GP (ER6 / Versys 650 / Ninja 650 2006-2011 Titanium GP, Model: EX-00141). I heard that the conical one is even louder. I'll take and post a pic later today.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 11:53 PM

Here are two pics of the Danmoto pipe on my bike. It is about 2 pounds, stock pipe is over 11. Mounted fine, just don't force it into an angle it doesn't want to go. There is about 3/4 inch between the tire and the pipe. Not much, but enough. It sounds good, loud but not obnoxious. No issues after almost 3500km. I would buy it again. Checking the Danmoto website, looks like the price went up. I paid about $115, plus the diffuser $8, plus shipping $44. Had to pay Canadian duty but total was about $190 or so.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danmoto1.jpg (74.4 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Danmoto2.jpg (109.7 KB, 182 views)
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvman50 View Post
Here are two pics of the Danmoto pipe on my bike. It is about 2 pounds, stock pipe is over 11. Mounted fine, just don't force it into an angle it doesn't want to go. There is about 3/4 inch between the tire and the pipe. Not much, but enough. It sounds good, loud but not obnoxious. No issues after almost 3500km. I would buy it again. Checking the Danmoto website, looks like the price went up. I paid about $115, plus the diffuser $8, plus shipping $44. Had to pay Canadian duty but total was about $190 or so.
Dave

Thanks for taking the time to get some pictures. Looks like it's a straight forward, functional, and inexpensive option for putting a non-stock can on.

I checked out the prices and the conical SS one is $115, diffuser is $15, and 02 eliminator is $13. I'm in the states so shipping is free so a total of around $144.

May the road always curve in front of you.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 02:37 PM

The conical one is made out of stainless steel, the GP is titanium, perhaps the cost difference. Other thing with the titanium pipe is that you can always drill out the rivets at a later date and repack the muffler. The conical one, I don't think so. I had also heard (don't know for sure) that the conical one is louder than the GP, so any comments I made, may not be applicable to the conical pipe. May be worth the extra $38.
Dave
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 03:57 PM

Take your time looking. I found a Yoshimura pipe right here for sale by one of our members. ($180.00) Maybe another will pop up
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 04:23 PM

I have a guy run by my house frequently on a Ninja 650 with a really loud pipe.
I has to be one of the worst sounding bikes.

He is usually with a Duc and an SV650, both of which sound sweet with loud pipes.

IMHO vertical twins, in most cases, don't sound good with loud pipes, especially at higher revs.

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
...IMHO vertical twins, in most cases, don't sound good with loud pipes, especially at higher revs.
Shoulda heard my '62 Triumph fuel dragster...
...clutch-drop at 7,000 rpms and ran it to 10,000, on slow-taper Dunstall megaphones!

Loud...? Yes. Heard from spectators that it EASILY drowned out a Corvette 427 with open headers that I ran against once.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Musta sounded like a constant barrage of 12ga. shotguns.

Wait a minute. Where is Mythbusters and their 12ga. Minimac?

No probably louder.

"Always go forward. Going straight is no fun."

'08 Red
Givi shield
Famsa Tank bag and pannier set
Happy Trails Panniers
Zeta blinker handgaurds
SeatPad Mod w/ Alaska leather cover
Heated grip wraps
Fiammi Hi & low tone horns

2008 V
1985 BMW R80
1989 Honda XR600R (650)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode