Loobman - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Loobman

I've seen a couple of people on here having them- so I thought I'd ask you guys:

I installed my loobman last weekend and noticed something on first use- it appears that I get a small amount of oil on my back rim and on the sidewalls of my back tire. I don't care about the mess really, more I'm worried about the Gs pulling the oil onto the road surface of the tire. So- Do you guys experience the same? Any way to prevent it? So far it only seems to extend to the chicken strips on the tire, so I'm not wildly concerned, but thought it was worth asking.

Also- How often do you guys using a Loobman (or just motor oil on your chain) use it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by goat12; 09-07-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM
GDI

I've got the loobman. I give 'er a squirt every morning before my commute which is about 50 miles/day. When I first got it I'd push the plunger every time I got on the bike, but that just made a mess. Then again I've got some oil on the back wheel, and the chainguard and the muffler, and the sidestand, possibly some on the tire, etc. Hey, that's why I got the green and black one! All that stuff is black, so it's not so noticeable anyway.

If I'm on a longer trip, I'll give a squirt when I take off in the morning and then maybe once or twice more during the day. It doesn't need oil every 50 miles!

GDI
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post
I've got the loobman. I give 'er a squirt every morning before my commute which is about 50 miles/day. When I first got it I'd push the plunger every time I got on the bike, but that just made a mess. Then again I've got some oil on the back wheel, and the chainguard and the muffler, and the sidestand, possibly some on the tire, etc. Hey, that's why I got the green and black one! All that stuff is black, so it's not so noticeable anyway.

If I'm on a longer trip, I'll give a squirt when I take off in the morning and then maybe once or twice more during the day. It doesn't need oil every 50 miles!

GDI
Interesting. My commute is merely 3 miles, so I'm thinking by your math about once a week, or before a long trip should suffice...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What type and grade of oil are you using? Chainsaw bar oil is thicker than motor oil, reducing flow rate. It's also tacky like motorcycle chain lube and is much more resistant to fling-off.

"Chainsaw oil is also very popular and works well. Several couriers on the London despatch circuit use it and swear by it. I do not recommend it personally, only because I have never actually used it for any great length of time. But it IS specially blended to lubricate a chain! Albeit on a chain saw."

http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/ (click on "faqs")

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech...allon/16795133
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
What type and grade of oil are you using? Chainsaw bar oil is thicker than motor oil, reducing flow rate. It's also tacky like motorcycle chain lube and is much more resistant to fling-off.

"Chainsaw oil is also very popular and works well. Several couriers on the London despatch circuit use it and swear by it. I do not recommend it personally, only because I have never actually used it for any great length of time. But it IS specially blended to lubricate a chain! Albeit on a chain saw."

http://www.chainoiler.co.uk/ (click on "faqs")

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech...allon/16795133
Interesting. I'm currently using regular 10w-40. Chainsaw oil does sound like a good idea and certainly worth a shot. Good call!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 AM

I use this in a portable squirt bottle... It'd be also great for chain oiler:

http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/abc.htm
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I use this in a portable squirt bottle... It'd be also great for chain oiler:

http://www.woodsbrosracing.com/amsoil/abc.htm
Thanks, Invader. I suppose I could go 100% amsoil for my baby! I didn't need all this stupid money anyhow. She's worth it.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 AM
GDI

Right now I'm using out of two "orphaned" bottles of oil--Castrol 20W50, and some off-brand diesel oil in 15W50. I do plan to go to chainsaw bar oil once these orphaned bottles are used up. At the rate I'm going that may take several years!

GDI
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

After a 6 second press I rode 80 miles at highway speeds (slow for first 5-10) and this is the result. Again- not worried (did some heavy sweeping maneuvers and detected no slip)- just wondering if anyone else has seen similar?

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 06:58 PM

That certainly is not acceptable, and is very dangerous... What kind of oil is that?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. Have since halted use till I can sort it out. That was 10w40. My thought is that it's actually hitting the rim, and being pulled out by the centrifugal force. Have to see if perhaps it's dripping before it gets to the sprocket, because I don't think that much would be flung after going through the chain from the sprocket.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 AM
GDI

I've never observed anything like that.

When I push the plunger, I can hold it for several seconds and no oil will flow down the hose at all. There seems to be a vacuum or something in the reservoir that prevents the oil from moving very quickly. I probably hold the plunger for 10 seconds or more until I see some oil appear in the line immediately below the reservoir. Once I see some oil in the line I let off on the plunger, and it's time to go for a ride.

I agree that looks hazardous. You should wash down that rear tire with some good soap or some degreaser or something.

GDI
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 AM

That looks very dangerous to me. The first slip you feel could be the last.

2008 Red Versys 16k miles
*Givi Windscreen*SW-Motech Evo Rack*Seahorse 720 Cases*Seat Concepts Seat*HID Headlight

1975 Honda CB200T
1976 Volkswagen Bus
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I had a LOOBMAN years ago, and modded it to 'squirt' via a 12v windshield washer pump. Worked OK, but more of a hassle than I wanted, so removed it, and went to the WD40-only route.

What I didn't like was those thingies from zip-ties to direct the oil to the chain.
I was ALWAYS fiddling with them!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM
GDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
What I didn't like was those thingies from zip-ties to direct the oil to the chain.
I was ALWAYS fiddling with them!
I agree--they are pretty cheesy!

I haven't touched mine except when I pulled the rear wheel to change the tire. I've got 7500 miles or so now with the loobman, so can't say as they really have been an issue.

GDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode