Want to change my shock spring out. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Want to change my shock spring out.

I am wanting to change my shock spring out for a different spring. The Kaw shop wants $75 to change it. I thought that was a little steep. Any thoughts on what else I could do.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:25 PM

You'll need a bike jack and a spring compresser to do the job safely. You can use a bike jack for lots of work but a spring compresser is one of those once in a life time use tools unless you're a racer or shop. See if they'll give you a break if you take them the shock off the bike.

What I'd do is see how much the tools will cost and then decide if it worth it to buy the tools need to do the job once or to pay to have it done. A job I'll do over and over I'll spring for the tools, bought a Tusk Chain Rivet tool as I do chains more that once or twice. BUT paid the shop to do the oil chainge of the forks on my Buell as I knew it would cost a lot more to buy the tools to do it once.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 PM

My Advice: Rent a bearing removal tool and find a repair shop in your area with a hydraulic press. Does'nt take 10 minutes to remove 1 spring and install the other. Matter of fact most shops with the above noted press will HAVE the necessary bearing tool also.

Lean/Two

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Pretty much ANY spring shop can (and will) do it for just a few $.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

?

Since I am a newbie, to this. I have another question.
How do I jack the bike up to take the pressure off the swing arm?
The normal "Lifters" are just to get the back end up say for to change the tire but still have pressure on the swingarm.

Help me if I am missing something, I want to pull the shock myself but am not sure how to go about it.
Thanks.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:06 PM

I have a motorcycle lift BUT I have not used on my Versys. The lift raises the bike from under the motor and on the Versys the muffler and header piper along with the lower fairing might be a problem, I don't know. Push comes to shove I'll pull the muffler off and use some 2x4s to make a spacer.

The lift I have came from Sears, I use it mainly on my KLR.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-07-2012 at 06:13 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

jack

Your link did not work but it got me to looking at Sears. I just ordered the Craftsman motorcycle jack for 90 bucks shipped thought that was a pretty good price.
Thanks
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Lift the rear of the bike up using a good rear-wheel lift. Put a 12" high car jack under the foot pegs on each side. Remove the rear-wheel lift and the bike is supported with no weight on the rear wheel. Loosen the front shock bolt. To remove the bolt, you will need to lift the rear wheel just slightly. I do that by inserting a round point shovel under the rear wheel and lever it down to raise the wheel, while I'm unscrewing the bolt.
It's a little easier if some one helps you, but you can do it alone.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 PM

I suggest you return the Sears jack. Use the money toward a T-Rex rear stand. I'd also add a front stand too, if you're planning to do your own maintenance.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

shock

Thanks.
Scottyneal. That description helped me picture the job in my head. Appreciate it.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
Lift the rear of the bike up using a good rear-wheel lift. Put a 12" high car jack under the foot pegs on each side. Remove the rear-wheel lift and the bike is supported with no weight on the rear wheel. Loosen the front shock bolt. To remove the bolt, you will need to lift the rear wheel just slightly. I do that by inserting a round point shovel under the rear wheel and lever it down to raise the wheel, while I'm unscrewing the bolt.
It's a little easier if some one helps you, but you can do it alone.
Don't the spring loaded pegs want to flip up? Or do you put the stands under the peg bracket?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 AM

Yes, the pegs will fllip up. Just slide the jack-stand in close and the inside portion of the foot peg will hold solid.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 09:10 AM

Thanks, one of my "To Dos" is to repack the swing-arm bearings and this will save me pulling the muffler and rigging a spacers to use the jack.

2012 650 Versys
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 01:52 PM

Greasing the swing-arm bearings while you've got the shock out will save you a little overall effort.

BTW, not sure why you're changing the shock spring, but suggest you consider HyperPro progressive springs. They have two for the Versys: one for lowering the bike 30mm and another stock height. Both are progressive and make a nice improvement in the ride. They also have progressive springs for the front (30mm lower and stock height) which improve the ride and greatly reduce the front "dive" when braking sharply.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Greasing the swing-arm bearings while you've got the shock out will save you a little overall effort.

BTW, not sure why you're changing the shock spring, but suggest you consider HyperPro progressive springs. They have two for the Versys: one for lowering the bike 30mm and another stock height. Both are progressive and make a nice improvement in the ride. They also have progressive springs for the front (30mm lower and stock height) which improve the ride and greatly reduce the front "dive" when braking sharply.
I'm not changing the shock, only greasing the bearings. I do plan to upgrade the springs at least but a bit down the road thanks to a hospital stay.

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I suggest you return the Sears jack. Use the money toward a T-Rex rear stand. I'd also add a front stand too, if you're planning to do your own maintenance.
I actually have a hyperpro spring in it now, one that lowers the bike by 30 mm, I need the bike as tall as possible since I am 6'2. I got used to my KLR height, and the Versys feels low the way that it was set up with low gel seat and this low spring. So far I have gotten the lowered pegs adapter from speedys, put a stock seat back on it, now to replace the spring with a stock spring, and I believe it will fit my riding style much better.
Took your advice.
Returned the Sears jack. Ordered a pair of Trex with free spools today. Instead of the fixed jack stands, I have some open rafters I plan on, once the rear end is up attaching the frame to the rafters to leave the swing arm free to work with.

Last edited by jtwodogs; 09-25-2012 at 02:31 PM.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 04:16 PM

I had a problem with the bike wanting to swing around when I tried to tie from above. Probably needed some ties to the side. That's why I finally used jacks under the foot pegs.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 04:20 PM

I suspect there are people here on the Forum that would trade you a stock spring and some money for the HyperPro lowering spring, if you want to raise it another 30mm. Or just sell your lowering spring and get a stock height HyperPro progressive spring - for the better ride.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

When I got the bike it came with the additional stock spring, so I will probably just be selling the Hyperpro.
I thought about the swinging problem, so I am going to try to go over two rafters, and have clevises that I will attach to the chain directly underneath each rafter then run my rope from each side of the frame (underneath the seat) to the individual clevis, also may put a small eye bolt in the floor and attach the bottom to it.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

So far so good on advice from ScottyNeal, on how to change out my shock on the V.
I used the jack stands in tight on the foot pegs. For added insurance I tied it off to the rafters too. Glad I tied it off to the rafters on the one side with a small come-along cause just with the jack stand height could not get the bottom bolt out, had to give a few clicks to the come-along to get the back bolt to clear the frame. The shock is now at the shop getting the springs changed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode