Still no center stand for the versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Still no center stand for the versys?

I'm considering the Versys,(current bike is an '07 BMW F800 ST) and the lack of any center stand option for this bike is a deal breaker for me. Has there been any development on this front?
Thanks.
Jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 12:16 PM

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=15803

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

I thought I saw on here somewhere, he was no longer offering these?
Thanks for the response.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 03:42 PM

Ultimately, the Versys just doesn't suit a centrestand. I know the guy who developed his take on a solution spent a considerable amount of time and effort, but if it looks like it's made from scaffolding and isn't aesthetically pleasing to the eye, it just isn't going to be successful enough to warrant any form of large scale production. Plus, if Kawasaki don't offer one as an option, or any of the other aftermarket suppliers, deep down you know that they didn't consider it to be viable.

Enjoy your next bike (which isn't going to be a Versys).

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Why do you feel that you really need a center stand?
You can use paddock stands in your garage.
On the road, you can use something like a trail stand:
http://www.endurostar.com/
You can get one wheel in the air, one at a time. I use it on my dirtbike.

My last 2 bikes had a center stand, I thought I'd miss not having one, but I'm ok with it now.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
At the time when the center stand was being produced, I thought it something I would need. As it turns out, I can raise the rear wheel or the front wheel, in seconds, with the same prop stand. Front wheel uses the throttle side, axle hole with a 1/2 inch bolt and washer and prop stand, allows me to check tire for any damage.
For lubing the chain, I have a pit stand available but never use it, as the prop stand is faster and more secure, I know some are going to question this. The prop stand raises the right side of the bike at the rear, the side stand and front wheel are in contact with the ground. The pit stand is a non bobbin style that goes under the swing arm, I have had it slip, also you need to be at the rear of the bike to raise or lower. I have had some close calls were the bike started to go over, opposite of the side stand, hard to stop when you are at the rear.
With the prop stand, the worst that can happen is the rear tire contacts the ground, if it comes out.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 PM

I too wonder what are the key advantage of having a center stand, after all it adds on weight. For chain maintenance, I can use a car jack to raise the rear wheel or prop it under the exhaust to lift the front.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
I'm considering the Versys,(current bike is an '07 BMW F800 ST) and the lack of any center stand option for this bike is a deal breaker for me. Has there been any development on this front?
Thanks.
Jack.
Why?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 10:10 PM

Once you discover a rear pit spool stand you will never miss a kick stand. IMO it actually works better. The swing arm is threaded for spools for the rear pit stand.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Once you discover a rear pit spool stand you will never miss a kick stand. IMO it actually works better. The swing arm is threaded for spools for the rear pit stand.
Can a rear stand be used by itself safely?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeMang View Post
Can a rear stand be used by itself safely?
No problem. My bike's on one right now with the front one as well. Both ends up in the air. Very stable and safe to leave like this for months...I do all winter long.

I use a set of T-Rex stand but the Pit-Bull brand is highly thought of as well. The front stand I have can lift from the lower fork legs OR the lower triple tree clamp. It's how I change tires. I've used them on my Buell, KLR and now the Versys. Once you use a set you wonder WHY you waited.

However NEVER use the front by itself as the bike could very well be
unstable and topple over on you. Always lift the rear first then front end and lower the front first and the rear end last.

BTW my sure the kickstand's down when you lower the bike OR you could have a bad day! It's real tricky trying to push the side stand down from the rear of the bike, just don't ask how I know OK?

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
No problem. My bike's on one right now with the front one as well. Both ends up in the air. Very stable and safe to leave like this for months...I do all winter long.

I use a set of T-Rex stand but the Pit-Bull brand is highly thought of as well. The front stand I have can lift from the lower fork legs OR the lower triple tree clamp. It's how I change tires. I've used them on my Buell, KLR and now the Versys. Once you use a set you wonder WHY you waited.

unstable and topple over on you. Always lift the rear first then front end and lower the front first and the rear end last.

BTW my sure the kickstand's down when you lower the bike OR you could have a bad day! It's real tricky trying to push the side stand down from the rear of the bike, just don't ask how I know OK?
Time! You are the man!

My bike came with spools and I think I am going to have to invest in a rear stand.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 PM

I just took a photo BUT Photobucket's down. When it comes back up I'll post the shot, shows the bike on both and front and rear stands. What it DOESN'T show is me shaking the heck out of the bike BUT trust me it as stable as a rock.

You'll hate working on a bike without stands after you get a set.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-04-2012 at 07:26 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 PM

Most of the bike shops working on big bikes uses the paddock stand when servicing the rear tires or chain. I'll say, it is one of the greatest invention for the 2 wheels.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:36 AM

I have no idea what's up with Photobucket BUT I open a new account to upload the photo Not the best shot uwing my Droid.

I have to order the right "Spud" to fit the Versys as the one of the Buell is to small. With that I can lift the bike under the triple trees at the stearing tube.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-05-2012 at 06:38 AM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 PM

SW-Motech makes a centerstand for the Versys 1000 now. It attaches between rider footpegs and frame. Maybe that idea can be used on the V650 as well?

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahwas View Post
SW-Motech makes a centerstand for the Versys 1000 now. It attaches between rider footpegs and frame. Maybe that idea can be used on the V650 as well?
I think you'll find the exhaust just might be in the way.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 01:25 PM

My last bike a a KLR and I used the trail stand to prop it up under the foot peg for chain lubes. Will that work on the versys? The kick stand on the 2009 versys looks so tiny compared to the KLR and I am worried it might not be up for the task.

Crash

2009 650 Versys
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1 to what TIME said:

BTW my sure the kickstand's down when you lower the bike OR you could have a bad day! It's real tricky trying to push the side stand down from the rear of the bike, just

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
My last bike a a KLR and I used the trail stand to prop it up under the foot peg for chain lubes. Will that work on the versys? The kick stand on the 2009 versys looks so tiny compared to the KLR and I am worried it might not be up for the task.
Crash
This is what I do, w/ a converted crutch for a stand, and 'hooked' under the spool.

The velcro is to hold the front brakes so it doesn't roll....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode