Boosterplug Installation 2015 Versys 650 (Gas Tank Removal Not Needed) - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 15Likes
  • 4 Post By BMRTV
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 5 Post By BMRTV
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By quexpress
  • 3 Post By Doug Just Doug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Boosterplug Installation 2015 Versys 650 (Gas Tank Removal Not Needed)

I bought the Boosterplug on recommendation from Andy Man Cam, a Youtuber and member here, who, until recently, made a ton of videos of rides on his Versys (extended tours through Europe that are just amazing.)

I looked at schematic/images and noticed the airbox was different on the 2015 bike. The plug is at the back and side of the airbox so I posited that I could get to it without having to remove the fairings and gas tank.

I installed it this morning and only had to remove my seat and one side panel (not the fairing).

NOTE: I don't have a pic for this step.....Plug in your Boosterplug to the airbox and plug you removed.

NOTE: I will update this post once I get a good test ride. Right now it's dumping with rain and I'm a sissy.

If you consider yourself a serious biker, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited by BMRTV; 01-12-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 04:23 PM

I've read up on these booster plugs and from what I can tell they are pretty much unnecessary and pretty much worthless...they don't cure any problems that I can see...lastly from what I've read..most of the people who install take them out eventually...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 PM

I'm gonna wait for the ECU re-flash.
Duffy likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And most of Canada too, eh?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
I've read up on these booster plugs and from what I can tell they are pretty much unnecessary and pretty much worthless...they don't cure any problems that I can see...lastly from what I've read..most of the people who install take them out eventually...
It wouldn't surprise me at all that it's a preference thing. Some people with different riding styles, where they ride, etc. Tight twisty roads are different than highway are different than commuting.

I feel an improvement over stock simply by running the 16T front sprocket which I did a few days ago. Since I already had this on order I figure I'll run it for a bit and see what I think and report that back.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
FIRST IMPRESSIONS
I rode for 2-ish hours today. City/traffic until I reached the sweepy farm roads which led to the tighter twisty section near Eatonville, WA. NOTE: My plan is to ride it for a while and update this post if / when I have anything different/more to add.

FROM A STOP
Less juddering, bike settles/smooths out slightly lower in the rev range.

LOW SPEED FROM 1st to 2nd
This is much improved. Useful when puttering around in traffic or down a residential road and don't want to wind it out in first. NOTE: fast starts where your giving it the beans and hammering through the gears is unaffected. Bike did that fine and does it fine now.

INTO CORNERS/COMING TO STOP
Rolling down from say 5.5K bike feels a lot more like an inline 4 motor. I concur with what AndyManCam said about the Versys, closing the throttle used to be like chucking an anchor with a parachute on it. That's gone. The engine breaking is less fierce initially and progressively increases as the revs clip past 3k on down.

MID CORNER/EXITING CORNER
This is a big improvement especially if you find yourself "in the wrong gear". EG: 4th gear, 6K, roll off throttle on corner approach expecting to hit the exit around 4K. Realize late that you'll need to slow down more than expected but can't/don't drop another gear. With stock setup, at/around/just below 3k bike attacked you if you tried to get on the throttle down low like this. With BP, it's a much gentler experience and the bike seems to pick up more quickly. It feels much more like my inline 4 in this regard. NOTE: the engine character is still the same (low end punch vs my inline 4 higher end punch), it's just not trying to exit the frame any longer.

OVERALL CONCLUSION/OVERVIEW
I would say that the bike now feels like an adult bike. I've said, in the past (in my blog) that the Versys loved to be ridden like a sports bike more than a touring bike. High revs, toss it into corners, hanging off the bike and the Versys was happy as a clam. I'd keep it 5-8K in and out of the corners/twistier roads and it was happy. But, if you wanted to go up a gear and let it roll down to 3K -ish because you wanted a calmer/relaxed experience the bike just wasn't as happy.

With the BP, it seems (from my couple hours initial test, will get back to you) to be much more capable of being ridden like a touring bike if you wish. It is a 650 so it's never going to be a 4th gear and leave it kind of bike, but again, it's a 650.

I'm still going to rail through the corners like a sport bike a lot of the time because the suspension settles and handles it so well, why not. It's one of the great things about this Versatile System. All day comfort, sport bike thrills. Now, however, I will be able to have both personalities on offer.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Could you please point out the source of your information. I'd like to read it.

I am surprised because I have read many positive reports from people who have installed a Boosterplug on their bike. The only negative remarks that I have found were from people who have NOT tried it.

BTW i have a Boosterplug on my 2015 Vers6s 650 and am VERY happy with the results.
Gangles likes this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRTV View Post
I bought the Boosterplug on recommendation from Andy Man Cam, a Youtuber and member here, who, until recently, made a ton of videos of rides on his Versys (extended tours through Europe that are just amazing.)
You will like it. It does everything as explained on the Boosterplug site.
I have had mine on my 2015 Versys 650 for the last riding season and have only one regret. I should not have waited a full season before installing it. The drive-ability has been much enhanced. IMHO it should have come tuned like this form the factory. The best part of the mod is that it's a plug and play. No fiddling with adjustments, etc.

I just shuffle slower.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRTV View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all that it's a preference thing. Some people with different riding styles, where they ride, etc. Tight twisty roads are different than highway are different than commuting.

I feel an improvement over stock simply by running the 16T front sprocket which I did a few days ago. Since I already had this on order I figure I'll run it for a bit and see what I think and report that back.
I've been running the 16t front sprocket since last June...this is after running the stock 15t up front and a 43t out back for a couple of years...I like the 16t up front and stock 45t out back a lot better..but am considering just going back to stock next set of sprockets...I changed originally for touring purposes..but have a nice '83 BMW R80RT for that..so I want the original braaaap back...

I cured the surging problem around 3,500 rpm with the really cheap vacuum port mod on the throttle bodies...I personally LOVE the engine braking of this bike..yeah like everyone else I bashed my nads on the tank a time or two..but that is rider error..aka my fault and not the bike's...keep your knees tight to the tank and no bashed nads...I use the engine braking in combination with braking into corners..and it's great...a lot of times it's all I need and I don't have to use the brakes...I have consider going with a slipper clutch (around 85 bucks I think)..but I'm not really ready to give up the braking...because I got a Yoshi pipe I also got a custom fuel mapping for my PCV..which makes my bike run just about as good as it's going to get...

I'm not calling anyone out for using one of these...as you said to each his own...from what I gather it enriches the fuel mixture at low rpms and not much more by tricking the ecu into thinking it's 20 degrees cooler outside...seems to work for the people who like them...

Last edited by chadams66; 01-12-2018 at 07:31 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I've been running the 16t front sprocket since last June...this is after running the stock 15t up front and a 43t out back for a couple of years...I like the 16t up front and stock 45t out back a lot better..but am considering just going back to stock next set of sprockets...I changed originally for touring purposes..but have a nice '83 BMW R80RT for that..so I want the original braaaap back...

I cured the surging problem around 3,500 rpm with the really cheap vacuum port mod on the throttle bodies...I personally LOVE the engine braking of this bike..yeah like everyone else I bashed my nads on the tank a time or two..but that is rider error..aka my fault and not the bike's...keep your knees tight to the tank and no bashed nads...I use the engine braking in combination with braking into corners..and it's great...a lot of times it's all I need and I don't have to use the brakes...I have consider going with a slipper clutch (around 85 bucks I think)..but I'm not really ready to give up the braking...

I'm not calling anyone out for using one of these...as you said to each his own...from what I gather it enriches the fuel mixture at low rpms and not much more by tricking the ecu into thinking it's 20 degrees cooler outside...seems to work for the people who like them...
That's fine but I'm still waiting for you to show us the source of the following information that you have posted:

Thank you

I just shuffle slower.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
That's fine but I'm still waiting for you to show us the source of the following information that you have posted:

Thank you
I'm a total lazy ass and am not really going back and researching all of that again..sorry about that...I'll tell you this I've talked this wonder unit over with several mechanics I know..including race mechanics..they all laughed...every last one of them...the term placebo came up often...anecdotal evidence..I know...

these are being marketed as cheaper alternative to a Power Commander..which they are in price and performance...it's your 160 bucks if it makes you happy go with it...hey I know people who take out their power commanders too...to each his own...

Last edited by chadams66; 01-12-2018 at 08:48 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:20 PM

The booster plug is really more of a Euro thing. The fueling on Euro model Versys 650s is different and notoriously bad at low rpm. US spec bikes are much smoother down low. Once I got the throttle free play set properly on mine any sloppiness at low rpms went away, and I don't mind the engine braking, especially with the V650s kinda vague front brakes. AMC is probably the most well known Versys moto vlogger though he recently switched bikes to a FZ-1 (the Croatia series will be the last Versys videos on his channel). He definitely has the best Versys how to videos (if you don't mind his very British sense of humor).

If your main goal is to reduce the engine braking effect then the booster plug is probably your cheapest way to accomplish that (Power Commander will also do that, but is more expensive). Might also smooth things up on 3rd Gen Versys as I do believe their fueling is a bit closer to the Euro bikes. My V650 is a 2009 so doesn't have an O2 sensor or the big off throttle fuel cut that the Euro spec Versys has.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I'm a total lazy ass and am not really going back and researching all of that again..sorry about that...I'll tell you this I've talked this wonder unit over with several mechanics I know..including race mechanics..they all laughed...every last one of them...the term placebo came up often...anecdotal evidence..I know...

these are being marketed as cheaper alternative to a Power Commander..which they are in price and performance...it's your 160 bucks if it makes you happy go with it...hey I know people who take out their power commanders too...to each his own...
A few years ago, before purchasing a Boosterplug, I read through hundreds of user reviews on BMW forums, ADV Rider, UK Versys forum, etc., etc.

EACH of the few negative comments that I have found have been made by people who have NOT tried the Boosterplug. These are therefore opinions ... nothing more.

EVERY positive review that I have read (they are NUMEROUS) have been posted by riders who have tried the Boosterplug. These are facts.

As you say ... to each his own ...
NightRider likes this.

I just shuffle slower.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...I have consider going with a slipper clutch (around 85 bucks I think)....
WHERE can you get a slipper clutch for $85???

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Stock clutch from a 2017 Z650 maybe?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:34 PM

Garage
Penis/grommet, really?

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
Could you please point out the source of your information. I'd like to read it.

I am surprised because I have read many positive reports from people who have installed a Boosterplug on their bike. The only negative remarks that I have found were from people who have NOT tried it.

BTW i have a Boosterplug on my 2015 Vers6s 650 and am VERY happy with the results.
Me, too. I've read a lot of positive posts here and on the UK Versys site. Motorcycle Consumer Reports tested it (on a BMW I think) and found that it made a noticeable improvement, though nothing Earth shattering. The BP fools the ECU into thinking the ambient temperature is about 20F cooler than it is. My Gen3 runs MUCH smoother in the cooler temps, so it seems like a no-brainer that BP should work, albeit with the possibility of a small reduction in MPG, which to me is well worth the trade-off. There IS a ton of snake-oil stuff out there, so we all need to remain skeptical, but I'm confident enough in my research that I'm going to give the BP a try, too. I'll definitely report on the results.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
this is something I picked up on a thread somewhere in here...it's been a while and I didn't make note of it..but I believe the person who mention the Z650 was right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in