Handling differences with wider rear tire? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Handling differences with wider rear tire?

it has a 160 from the factory, how will the cornering be affected if I put a 170 or even 180 onto the rim? I know the profile changes somewhat, but how does it affect the handling? Cornering specifically...

Common sense says stay with factory size, the bike was engineered to have that tire on it, but then again it was not engineered to be track bike, maybe just a quick bike with an overall emphasis on relaxed or "spirited" riding styles....

The whole reason I ask now is with my clip-on handle bars I'm riding this bike a lot more aggressively and I'm curious if I could get any advantages out of a different rear profile on fast hard leans.

My old zx6r had 180s on the rear, I could lay it over and shred the rubber down to the edge of the tire, on these 160s I can't get it to the edge and I don't know if its the taller suspension, the tires, or just me the rider? I suppose lean angle isn't the best way to measure cornering ability but it does suggest you are pushing the bike to its limit, which is what I'd like to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 11:28 PM

Our versys rim are not meant for tyre wider than 160. Someone i know insisted that it will improve his cornering lean due to the extra contact patch. Until he crashed out, that is.

Consider swapping in the 636 wheel if you want a 180 tyre. And you'll need this:

http://www.twfracing.com/PartsPages/636wheelconv.html

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Stock 4.50" wide rim is ideal for a 160/60-17 tire, and a 5.00" rim is also applicable (acceptable). The 4.50" rim is also applicable for a 170/60... Recommended rim for a 180/55 is 5.50" wide, with 6.00" also applicable.

http://www.stevenott.com/draft5751.pdf

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire.../roadsmart-ii/

180/55 might 'fit', but it should not be fitted to our 4.50" rim. Tire profile and integrity is compromised with a narrower rim, which affects its performance and handling... You would however be fine with a 170/60-17. Compare actual width which does vary between different tire brands and models.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrick View Post
it has a 160 from the factory, how will the cornering be affected if I put a 170 or even 180 onto the rim? I know the profile changes somewhat, but how does it affect the handling? Cornering specifically...

Common sense says stay with factory size, the bike was engineered to have that tire on it, but then again it was not engineered to be track bike, maybe just a quick bike with an overall emphasis on relaxed or "spirited" riding styles....

The whole reason I ask now is with my clip-on handle bars I'm riding this bike a lot more aggressively and I'm curious if I could get any advantages out of a different rear profile on fast hard leans.

My old zx6r had 180s on the rear, I could lay it over and shred the rubber down to the edge of the tire, on these 160s I can't get it to the edge and I don't know if its the taller suspension, the tires, or just me the rider? I suppose lean angle isn't the best way to measure cornering ability but it does suggest you are pushing the bike to its limit, which is what I'd like to do.
If you look at tire manufacturer's web sites most have charts that recommend MIN, MAX and OPTIMUM rim width for a specified tire model and size. In my experience a wider rim is required to get any advantage from a wider tire.

I tried going to one size over the stock width on a previous bike and would not do this again. Because a bike tire has a round profile what happened is I just got a tire that was rounder but not actually any wider on the pavement or visually any wider. The contact patch size did not really increase because of the extra cross sectional curvature (pinching) for the tire to fit on a rim that was narrower than it was designed for. The extra tread width on the sides was unusable as it was near vertical with the extra curvature, I would have had to tilt the bike over past the point of dragging hard parts to get the tread on the edges of the one size over tire to contact the pavement.

I would say if you want more traction go for a sticker sport bike tire in the stock size instead of a sport touring tire. The sport touring tires that are usually fitted to the Versys use a harder and longer wearing rubber compound compared to sport bike tires. It provides longer tread life than sport bike tires but slightly less grip. Track tires are not good for the street though as they have a very narrow and high operating temperature range in which the rubber is designed to grip and require tire warmers just to reach their correct operating temperature.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-29-2012 at 02:26 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys, I'll stick with 160s, any recommendations on a nice sticky tire?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 01:19 PM

Tire recomendations...

Michelin Pilot Road 2ct

Michelin Pilot Road 3

Stickey on the sides, hard in the middle.

Put a 44t ot 43 t Sprocket on the rear and you've got yourself a nice tour machine!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 03:28 PM

I am not sure if you need anything more then street touring tires for street level riding in our days. My last Angel ST rear lasted over 8K touring miles on a loaded, two up FZ1, and it had plenty grip to do very spirited rides in the mountains. My self preservation slowed me more then my tires. In face I would not hesitate to take a set to a trackday.

Stickier tires would be only needed on high hp bike while on track. IMHO.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I've had REALLY good results (and "seat-of-the-pants" feel) with Continental ContiMotions on EACH of my Vs, stock sizes.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:29 PM

Personal experience : stay away from pilot road 2. This this is hardly wat i would call grippy. But it does give excellent mileage, if straight up touring is your only use.

Currently on Pirelli angel st. Better grips. But I've heard of poor mileages. Well it's all relative no?

Current : Maroon 2011.
- Fender Extender - Radiator Guard - 19mm Nissin radial master - Nissin 4-pot caliper - SS brake lines - Osram Hyper 65W both low/high beam - LED 30w aux floodlights & 3w DRLs - Rear Hugger - Givi crash guards - Yoshimura TRC Carbon - Dynojet PC5 - Scottoiler - R1 shock with Ohlins 14.2 kg/mm spring - Imitation Givi Windshield - Rear Givi rack with 24ltr Givi top box - Bosch dual tones - Z800 stock mirrors.

Up next :
- Protaper SE ATV Low - PIAA Platinum low
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrick View Post
thanks for the replies guys, I'll stick with 160s, any recommendations on a nice sticky tire?
Metzeler Sportec M3 is an excellent supersport tire that is also durable, especially for the cost.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-p/4161656.htm

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...-p/4161654.htm

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...t/13035-8.html

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-.../13035-10.html

http://www.tyretest.com/motorcycle_t..._m3/index.html

http://www.tyretest.com/motorcycle_t...ont/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode